TianXian

Biographies of Immortals

I've read

Seven Taoist Masters: A Folk Novel of China (Shambhala Classics)

and

Tales of the Taoist Immortals (Paperback)

both (translated/recounted) by Eva Wong and both great books in my opinion.

Other than saying the books were great, I can't think of any other thing to say unless there is a specific question to answer.

Edited by goldisheavy

Well I guess i will also read them and compare, just like when comparing, for example heroes Classic book, Water Margin, Outlaws of the Marsh, All Men Are Brothers, The Marshes of Mount Liang.

There is also this book about the Taoist Immortals also by Lionel Giles.

A Gallery of Chinese Immortals: Selected Biographies Translated from Chinese Sources

Xian, thanks for the pointers. I am interested in this kind of material. I will be on the lookout for it when I visit Borders.

Good Day goldisheavy, your words make's my heart feel great good, thanks to your words i have a better day, people like you are like gold to this forum!

I belive there are not many books left in English about the histories or Biographies of many Taoist Immortals, but now i remember other one, take a look they must be also great

God Bless you goldisheavy

Anecdotes about Spirits and Immortals

http://www.chinabooks.com/cart/product.php?productid=18857

Good Bye

Ge Hong's To Live As Long As Heaven and Earth is a good one I think. Aside from some short hagiographies of various immortals, it also contains some information on dietetics,sexual arts and various alchemy practices.

Another one that I am reading now, not so much about immortals as it is about alchemists and mystics is called Alchemists, Mediums and Magicians: Stories of Taoist Mystics. Translated by Thomas Cleary. Although I must say that this one reads on the boring side, it contains some useful information about other texts that I had not previously heard of.

Taijiphoenix

....there are i belive 5 kinds, there the Celestial Immortal is the "highest"

From Wuzhen pian (Awakening to Reality)by Fabrizio Pregadio:

"There are five degrees of Immortals, namely, the demon immortals (guixian), the human immortals (renxian), the earthly immortals (dixian), the spirit immortals (shenxian), and the celestial immortals (tianxian)."

Another one that I am reading now, not so much about immortals as it is about alchemists and mystics is called Alchemists, Mediums and Magicians: Stories of Taoist Mystics. Translated by Thomas Cleary. Although I must say that this one reads on the boring side, it contains some useful information about other texts that I had not previously heard of.

Taijiphoenix

I understand, thanks for the good info Taijiphoenix :)