balance.

Fudosa/ Sage Seat

Why does the Sage Seat call for one heel to be sat upon so that it presses into your perineum during sitting practice? Glen Morris mentions it briefly within "Path Notes.." but never explains the reasons behind the position... concluding only by saying that "The perineum press is important, particularly when working on your sitting smile." ... I'd be immensely appreciative of any further information.

edit... Miller=Morris... yup.

Edited by balance.

Why does the Sage Seat call for one heel to be sat upon so that it presses into your perineum during sitting practice? Glen Miller mentions it briefly within "Path Notes.." but never explains the reasons behind the position... concluding only by saying that "The perineum press is important, particularly when working on your sitting smile." ... I'd be immensely appreciative of any further information.

Creates an easy Mula Bandha (root lock). This seals the 1st chakra energy and allows upward flow. I assume Glen Miller means Glenn Morris or I will have to find some of my old jazz CD's. :lol:

Why does the Sage Seat call for one heel to be sat upon so that it presses into your perineum during sitting practice? Glen Miller mentions it briefly within "Path Notes.." but never explains the reasons behind the position... concluding only by saying that "The perineum press is important, particularly when working on your sitting smile." ... I'd be immensely appreciative of any further information.

It's some sort of chi lock. If it is that important to you that you want to do it then make a

roll out of a towel.

I don't like it because of the bicycle seat pain...eventually with doing that too often the

weenie gets desensitized.

Creates an easy Mula Bandha (root lock). This seals the 1st chakra energy and allows upward flow. I assume Glen Miller means Glenn Morris or I will have to find some of my old jazz CD's. :lol:

Haha, yes, Glen Morris, not Miller... Fragments from my Jazz History class no doubt....

... But, once in this position then, is it still helpful to gently push and pull with the huiyin to encourage movement?

It's some sort of chi lock. If it is that important to you that you want to do it then make a

roll out of a towel.

I don't like it because of the bicycle seat pain...eventually with doing that too often the

Only just read about the technique recently.. so I've yet to develop a strong attachment to it. Good to know though about the possible sinking of the banana boat through extended practice. Does the sock offer gentler treatment?

roll out of a towel.

Its a good pose to sublimate a lot of energy in to central channel & 3rd eye. When Glenn Started out he used this pose a lot in the beginning. I used it aswell before i met him and when i was meditating a lot. It works wonders to bring energy up.

However it is not good in the long run if you want your dick to work right. It can make you impotent. Glenn Morris actually favored meditating in walking, standing and seated in chair like a

here is a pic of it.

"SIDDHI ASANA"

In this version there is pressure on the Pereneum & on the Pubic bone.

Peace

S

Yogani teaches a modified version of this pose in order to avoid the problems but still get most of the benefits. Check out Aypsite.org for info.

Echoing Markern here, but Yogani teaches "siddhasana" in the AYP lessons here: http://www.aypsite.org/75.html

Siddhasana encourages prana/sexual essences/and eventually kundalini in an upward direction from the perineum. It can be sexually stimulating when first beginning to use the practice, but it is good to learn to work through those sexual feelings...it is good to train the sexual essences to be comfortable flowing upwards (into the nervous system) instead of downwards into (and out of) the genitals.

Love!

:D

I appreciate the replies and am following up on the leads given.

...but Markern, I haven't been able to locate this modified intermediary position that you were mentioning... any chance you could beam a link my way?

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Haha, yes, Glen Morris, not Miller... Fragments from my Jazz History class no doubt....

Didn't happen to be at Columbia Chicago 1991 with Barry Winograd?

Peace Bro,

Robert

... But, once in this position then, is it still helpful to gently push and pull with the huiyin to encourage movement?

Does too much Fudosa sitting create problems for women as it does for men?

I would say so, going from this quick rundown on Siddhasana:

Siddhasana:

The “perfect pose”. This posture is adopted by many yogis, as is Padmasana. This posture is also hard for most people at first, though to some it easier than Padmasana. It is sometimes considered to be the best Asana, even over Padmasana. The Yogi takes the right heel and places it at the base of the perineum. The left leg is placed over the right leg, with the left heel inverted upwards so that it touches and exerts some pressure at the region immediately above the sex organ. This posture requires some ankle flexibility, as well as hip flexibility and hamstring/inner thigh flexibility. Practicing splits while sitting helps the knees to be wide enough apart for this Asana. The hips also have to be rotated forward slightly so that the heel can be inverted. As with Padmasana, some people are naturally good at this Asana and others have to labor a great deal to achieve it.

Benefits of Siddhasana:

The right heel, by placing pressure on the perineum, stimulates mulabhanda (root lock) by contraction of the anus and sphincter muscles, which forces the Apana upwards. It also stimulates the Muladhara chakra and Kundalini. The left inverted heel stimulates the Svadhistana Chakra and redirects the flow of sexual energy from downwards into Muladhara to upwards in the Anahata chakra, Visshuddha Chakra and Ajna Chakra. This is the best pose for a Brahmacharya (celibate renunciant). It is not to be practiced by women. The pressure on the perineum and sex organ can cause nerve damage to the reproductive system. The male may loose sexual urges, or at least not be able to indulge in them. This Asana should be saved for those seriously pursuing their Sadhana as a Brahmacharya.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Didn't happen to be at Columbia Chicago 1991 with Barry Winograd?

Peace Bro,

Robert

Haha, no, not I... I'm still just a young, crude, whelp.... and I took this particular class far from the windy city only just this fall..