Quiet heart

Daoism in Europe

It seems that Daoism is much less popular in Europe than in the U.S. (If I am wrong, please correct me. My knowledge in this field is based mainly on the Internet :)).

What Daoist associations, sects, temples operating in Europe do you know?

I mention the British Taoist Association in London, which is related to the Dragon Gate sect.

Can anyone heard of the existence in Europe sympathizers or daoshi Zheng Yi Pai, and especially Highest Purity Daoism (Shang Qing sect) from Mao Shan?

Probably traditions associated with Buddhism are more popular.

Regards,

HQ

I think you're right that there's more in the USA, there's more of everything in the USA.

Which part of Europe are you asking about? There are huge Qigong and Taiji societies here in Germany, and I know a couple "Daoists" in Munich, and as I wrote a minute ago in another thread, I'll be going to visit Qin Ling (Dragon Gate) in June... There is a lot of Daoism in Russia/Ukraine, too, and probably Mao Shan Nuns as well, afaik.

I think maybe the languages are an obstacle in "Europe".

I think you're right that there's more in the USA, there's more of everything in the USA.

Which part of Europe are you asking about? There are huge Qigong and Taiji societies here in Germany, and I know a couple "Daoists" in Munich, and as I wrote a minute ago in another thread, I'll be going to visit Qin Ling (Dragon Gate) in June... There is a lot of Daoism in Russia/Ukraine, too, and probably Mao Shan Nuns as well, afaik.

I think maybe the languages are an obstacle in "Europe".

Glad to hear that there are so many people associated with Daoism in Europe, but I am afraid that a large portion of these people are martial artists and members of medical qigong communities. It's good, but I am concerned about people practicing 'mystic Daoism', more religious, spiritual.

Yes there are temples, associations etc. in Europe:

A few links for you:

www.taoists.co.uk/

http://www.qingjing.org/ (in French, which is strange, for the temple is in Spain!)

http://www.laozhuangtao.com/ (in French again, which is not strange, since this is the French taoist association)

http://ataos.populus.ch/ (Swiss taoist association in ....French. Could have been Italian or German, but no it's still in French)

All these are about religious/ mystical taoism

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain ;)

At least that's where I would live if I were a French Daoist :lol:

Tai Shang Men, Xiao Yao Pai is accepting new disciples in europe.

i will post the available countries when i am told.

edit> for now it looks like london , june 2013

Edited by zerostao

Which part of Europe are you asking about? There are huge Qigong and Taiji societies here in Germany, and ...

What? Where?

Glad to hear that there are so many people associated with Daoism in Europe, but I am afraid that a large portion of these people are martial artists and members of medical qigong communities. It's good, but I am concerned about people practicing 'mystic Daoism', more religious, spiritual.

In Ukraine (Kiev) there is branch of 2 authentic taoist alchemical sects. One is "closed" and requies an apprentice to visit their chinese teacher in China (WuLuiPai) and second one is "opened" where teacher is going to come to Russia. But it is possible to learn alchemy in second one without seeing teacher as in this sect their first method is kinda alchemical and you can get transmission from local mentor. But you will have to practice chi kung prior to that. Aslo they practice very powerful medical chi kung which they call jiuyangshengong. This is the best branch of the taoist sects I have only heard in Europe and their methods are very very distinctive from other eastern teachings . Did not try yet myself but I have heard many positive feedbacks about their methods. All other european branches seem to be just chi kung schools but not really alchemical. I am not sure if there is anybody speaks good English in Kiev but if you are interested I am sure they will understand your Polish. Their main branch is in Russia. But I am not sure about ability to translate taoist terms as apprenticeship requires good knowledge of theory as well. I have not heard of any better authentic taoist school in Europe. http://all-dao.com/

Edited by Eugene

http://www.taoists.co.uk/

There's these, seems to be a bit 'one man and his holy dog' sort of an operation. There were four priests or so but they seem to have gone their seperate ways and just one guy soldiering on and he's getting on in years. Some gigs were cancelled last year

The magazine which started well as these things do then petered out to become simply rip and write stuff and obviously hasty work by one person; ceased publication a while ago but they did run residentials at a hired commercial retreat centre.

They seem to teach dao yin and seated meditation. This is chi kung and not alchemy indeed. Of course quiet meditation can be powerful and there are few taoist texts regard meditation as alchemy method but many other sect criticize such methods.

It is regarded as alchemy only in the west and in chi kung schools. And in Buddhism and Zen. That is why I mentioned that taoist alchemical sectarian methods are quite distinctive from other oriental methods

I've met Taoist priests in Taiwan and seen some of them in action and those guys in the British Taoist Association just seemed very different somehow, sorta like 'wannabe vicars'. Possibly because what they were doing simply wasn't encultured here as it is in Taiwan.

When they popped up at first it was to be a missionary set up but it all seems to have fizzled out.

http://www.taoists.co.uk/

There's these, seems to be a bit 'one man and his holy dog' sort of an operation. There were four priests or so but they seem to have gone their seperate ways and just one guy soldiering on and he's getting on in years. Some gigs were cancelled last year

The magazine which started well as these things do then petered out to become simply rip and write stuff and obviously hasty work by one person; ceased publication a while ago but they did run residentials at a hired commercial retreat centre.

Thats a shame. I used to subscribe to their magazine and through them got to work with Ken Cohen, which was fantastic. They did some excellent work, and Ken Cohen was very in favour of them.

• Like 1