Sign in to follow this  
sifusufi

Peter Ralston & Cheng Hsin

Just recently picked up both "Principles...." and "Zen Body-Being" ..... I'll begin grinding through both quite soon here.... Collegiate mid-terms have my literary focuses diverted elsewhere at the moment... but give me a week or so (Sorry I can't contribute sooner)to read and partially digest and I'll see if I'm able to add something constructive to this discussion.

Peter Ralston is one of the few masters other than Bruce Frantzis that I've ever been interested in. I took a few of his seminars quite awhile ago and let me say that the feeling of being pushed by Kumar and being pushed by Ralston is different. You get moved if either guy touches you but how they move you is what is so interesting.

Bruce uses this whole fa jin methodology based on opening and closing and nei gung principles as well as pung and ji and other energy.

Peter just pushes you and you go. What he showed us is that our connective tissues can compress and elongate a great deal. For example, Peter can punch you and hit you much further away than his reach would seem to indicate because his arms are like rubber bands. He can push and pull with the same principle of effortless power. First he outreaches and makes contact with you. Then he loads his connective tissue and then releases it gently and you just move.

Like BKF, Peter espouses deep relaxation and good biomechanical alignments as a way to generate power. I showed my brother this effortless power concept once by having him put his car in neutral on a flat road and I pushed his car without any strain or heaving or huffing and puffing on my part. I outreached into his car, compressed my tissues, stepped forward into the standard Tai Chi push pose and my tissues strung out relaxed and effortless power. It got his car rolling (albeit very, very slowly at first) and I didn't even break a sweat. Of course getting the car moving was the hard part anyway.

Edited by SFJane

Just recently picked up both "Principles...." and "Zen Body-Being" ..... I'll begin grinding through both quite soon here.... Collegiate mid-terms have my literary focuses diverted elsewhere at the moment... but give me a week or so (Sorry I can't contribute sooner)to read and partially digest and I'll see if I'm able to add something constructive to this discussion.

Thanks for responding!

That has to be Sun Ra you got up there!

Surprised to find no Sun Ra threads here!

"Space is the place"

Peter Ralston is one of the few masters other than Bruce Frantzis that I've ever been interested in. I took a few of his seminars quite awhile ago and let me say that the feeling of being pushed by Kumar and being pushed by Ralston is different. You get moved if either guy touches you but how they move you is what is so interesting.

Bruce uses this whole fa jin methodology based on opening and closing and nei gung principles as well as pung and ji and other energy.

Peter just pushes you and you go. What he showed us is that our connective tissues can compress and elongate a great deal. For example, Peter can punch you and hit you much further away than his reach would seem to indicate because his arms are like rubber bands. He can push and pull with the same principle of effortless power. First he outreaches and makes contact with you. Then he loads his connective tissue and then releases it gently and you just move.

Like BKF, Peter espouses deep relaxation and good biomechanical alignments as a way to generate power. I showed my brother this effortless power concept once by having him put his car in neutral on a flat road and I pushed his car without any strain or heaving or huffing and puffing on my part. I outreached into his car, compressed my tissues, stepped forward into the standard Tai Chi push pose and my tissues strung out relaxed and effortless power. It got his car rolling (albeit very, very slowly at first) and I didn't even break a sweat. Of course getting the car moving was the hard part anyway.

Wow!

Thanks for the awesome response and freely sharing the wisdom!!!

I remember that as a difficult book, and heard from others that his second one is much better.

Thanks!

Looks like his wife is in on this one!

Will get started soon.

Wow!

Thanks for the awesome response and freely sharing the wisdom!!!

You are very welcome sifusufi. :)

Thanks for the video MD. Good stuff.

Thanks for the link. I first read his book Zen body being 3 or 4 years ago and it just struck such a chord with me and because I loved that book so much I decided to order Cheng Hsin: Principles of Effortless Power, Cheng Hsin Tui Shou: The Art of Effortless Power, and Reflections of Being. Boy where those hard to read especially Reflections of Being. I would reread sentences like 10 times and I still didn't grasp/comprehend what he was saying. So far this new book is more along the lines of Zen body being in comprehension terms. I think his wife helps him put his thoughts/teachings/ideas into layman terms. :D

Peter mentions of intuition a lot.

I have just had some cool things happen today (3)

I sent for The Book of Not Knowing ( Thanks Jessie ! )

My wife played some video of a zoo trip we took (after I spoke of this at work earlier)

E mails from

My former Mgr Cindi - 1

My Gig Guru Ben (Dio, Hank Jones news, RIP) - 2

My wife and I discussed (Ben) him earlier as well

It's really cool when this stuff is seen ( just being aware of it)

Any who thanks to all for the great input

Sinking,

Robert

Just blows me away when two paths converge.

What peter is sayin' here speaks the same as Funkadelic's Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts (To me) seen?

Travel like a king

Listen to the inner voice

A higher wisdom is at work for you

Conqering the stumbling blocks come easier

When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite

Every ending is a new beginning

Life is an endless unfoldment

Change your mind, and you change your relation to time

You can find the answer

The solution lies within the problem

The answer is in every question

Dig it?

An attitude is all you need to rise and walk away

Inspire yourself

Your life is yours

It fits you like your skin

The oak sleeps in the acorn

The giant sequoia tree sleeps in its tiny seed

The bird waits in the egg

God waits for his unfoldment in man

Fly on, children

Play on

You gravitate to that which you secretly love most

You meet in life the exact reproduction of your own thoughts

There is no chance, coincidence or accident

In a world ruled by law and divine order

You rise as high as your dominant aspiration

You descend to the level of your lowest concept of your self

Free your mind and your ass will follow

The infinite intelligence within you knows the answers

Its nature is to respond to your thoughts

Be careful of the thought-seeds you plant in the garden of your mind

For seeds grow after their kind

Play on, children

Every thought felt as true

Or allowed to be accepted as true by your conscious mind

Take roots in your subconscious

Blossoms sooner or later into an act

And bears its own fruit

Good thoughts bring forth good fruit

Bullshit thoughts rot your meat

Think right, and you can fly

The kingdom of heaven is within

Free your mind, and your ass will follow

Play on, children

Sing on, lady

Yeah

Glad to hear I am not the only one who had trouble chewing on Ralston. I got "Effortless Power" back in the early '90's and have read it many times. SF Jane that was a great review!

I also bought Ralstons books in the early 90's. Good stuff. The writing is a bit wordy, but I like the depth he goes to on principles. The simple things, how do you walk, how do you express power.

I liked watching him on the video, he's willing to move, willing to be pushed, while keeping control, balance and a sense of play. Very nice.

Michael

I also bought Ralstons books in the early 90's. Good stuff. The writing is a bit wordy, but I like the depth he goes to on principles. The simple things, how do you walk, how do you express power.

I liked watching him on the video, he's willing to move, willing to be pushed, while keeping control, balance and a sense of play. Very nice.

Michael

Well finally a day off! I can begin to read "The book of not knowing"

Twenty six chapters

581 pages (of not knowing)

A good workout for the flexors and extensors as it weighs nearly a kilo!

Decent outline format ( bookmarks will be needed )

As always looking forward to insight

Have a great weekend everybody, see ya at the dunes

Robert

post-53655-127448106886_thumb.jpg

Sign in to follow this