Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

Healthy Respiratory System

These all seem so obvious to me, but here it is for review.

1. Regular deep breathing excercises (consciously, daily)

2. Recharge your lungs-- go to rivers, waterfalls, mountains, oceans or other places with clean air.

3. Excercise to increase oxygen to your entire body via the cells, breathe vigorously.

4. Diet--lung problems are usually caused by yin, cooling, acidic, mucus-forming food. Instead eat warming, yang, alkalizing foods like vegetables, non-sweet citrus (lemons, grapefruit), protein, nuts, seeds, grain, fish, alkalizing herbs (warming root herbs) and limit dairy, eggs, high-sugar fruit, foods with sugar, refined processed food.

5. Lung herbs, of course.

6. Hydrotherapy--hot herbal steams, hot/cold showers or packs to increase circulation and blood flow to the respiratory system, herbal compresses and poultices placed on the upper back and chest for congestion, and again go to air that's around vigorously moving water because it's got a high concentration of negative ions.

These all seem so obvious to me, but here it is for review.

1. Regular deep breathing excercises (consciously, daily)

2. Recharge your lungs-- go to rivers, waterfalls, mountains, oceans or other places with clean air.

3. Excercise to increase oxygen to your entire body via the cells, breathe vigorously.

4. Diet--lung problems are usually caused by yin, cooling, acidic, mucus-forming food. Instead eat warming, yang, alkalizing foods like vegetables, non-sweet citrus (lemons, grapefruit), protein, nuts, seeds, grain, fish, alkalizing herbs (warming root herbs) and limit dairy, eggs, high-sugar fruit, foods with sugar, refined processed food.

5. Lung herbs, of course.

6. Hydrotherapy--hot herbal steams, hot/cold showers or packs to increase circulation and blood flow to the respiratory system, herbal compresses and poultices placed on the upper back and chest for congestion, and again go to air that's around vigorously moving water because it's got a high concentration of negative ions.

One common theme I've seen in all health related activities for the organs is the use of pressure. I was told by one high level teacher that the exhale (in a reverse breath) is healthy for the lungs because of the relaxation of the chest which compresses the lung. I've noticed many chigungs work with pressure on an organ and the breath.

Also in yoga if you do modified transition to cobra pose with your butt up in the air and your chest compressing the ground, it's supposed to be great for the lungs.

fwiw,

T

Edited by thaddeus

Awesome. Thanks for that.

I read that the exhale is supposed to be yin and the inhale is yang. death force, life force. balancing the two.

I've also heard great things about the book Breathe Free by Amodea Morningstar and D Gagnon (the former wrote all those Ayurvedic cookbooks).

It sells for less than $2 used on Amazon.com.

Breathe Free

I just ordered mine. B)

Edited by Lozen

I'm starting to read more about acupoints, in the hope of developing a functional little understanding that I can apply to self-acupressure.

There are 360 or so acupoints, which is overwhelming to me - but, there are Twelve Heavenly Star Points, which are considered to be the 12 most important points. That's an accessible number for me to start studying.

While reading about St-36, "Zusanli", I read:

Zusanli, by its ability to balance and promote 'correct' Qi, is generally considered to be a point that has a beneficial effect on the whole body. In this it is often paired with Taiyuan (Lung 9) which has a tonifying effect on Qi derived from air via the Lungs to promote overall wellness and longevity. Massaging Zusanli is often an important exercise in Qi Gong and martial arts practices.

(The page on Lung-7 has the location of Lung-9.)

Sign in to follow this