april

Kundalini and Occult Powers

I am often asked about the relationship between Kundalini and Occult Powers. After living with Kundalini for 40 years, here is my take on the subject.

We need to teach by example, rather than by diktat, decree or duress.

I always feel compelled to ask, were these stories written by someone who had occult powers, either by pursuit or by accident? Or were they written by someone who had none, and wished that nobody else did either?

You don't need superpowers to act like a cad. Regular powers are more than adequate for that. And while we might wish that bad intentions or behavior should prevent someone from learning [whatever], there are countless examples to the contrary.

I always feel compelled to ask, were these stories written by someone who had occult powers, either by pursuit or by accident? Or were they written by someone who had none, and wished that nobody else did either?

You don't need superpowers to act like a cad. Regular powers are more than adequate for that. And while we might wish that bad intentions or behavior should prevent someone from learning [whatever], there are countless examples to the contrary.

There is another side to the issue, one that needs to be framed in evolutionary terms, by recognizing that we are not the final version of the human species. If we accept this as true, then we cannot help but conclude that future human development is bound to be more metaphysical than physical, more in the upstairs regions of our anatomy than in our lower regions.

Massive improvements to our physical bodies would seem to be beyond the human body's inherent design capabilities. However, if our bodies are limited by design, our brains have a lot of room for evolutionary growth. In fact, we cannot begin to imagine human potential. Hopefully, we will not destroy ourselves before we realize it.

If our neurological system does evolve, it's reasonable to think that what we call occult powers today will be the 'regular powers' of tomorrow.

And so back to Ramakrishna. From his life story, I don't think he was the type that begrudged others, citing parables just to cover up his envy. Rather I would say he was influenced by Hindu religious teachings and was merely paraphrasing the conventional wisdom of the day. Certainly, there is nothing wrong with his advocating humility. I still believe that those who take on advanced spiritual practices in hopes of becoming super beings are misguided; this is a long, difficult process.

If extraordinary powers do become 'regular,' then the notion of parity sets in and no individual will have exclusive rights to any given power; our brains will just keep evolving until we are more spirit than flesh. Pure energy, in fact.

And so back to Ramakrishna. From his life story, I don't think he was the type that begrudged others, citing parables just to cover up his envy. Rather I would say he was influenced by Hindu religious teachings and was merely paraphrasing the conventional wisdom of the day. Certainly, there is nothing wrong with his advocating humility. I still believe that those who take on advanced spiritual practices in hopes of becoming super beings are misguided; this is a long, difficult process.

That may be, but when one repeats a story out of context, one is changing its meaning. In the age of The Secret, warning people not to halt a powerful storm with their awesome mind power is, perhaps, putting the cart just a wee bit in front of the horse? ;)

If one trains and studies for years without seeing any new signs of their progress, but continues to run in circles "because signs are just food for the ego"--now that is what I call misguided!

Let's look at a concrete example. If a student seeks to heal their inoperable cancer, is that misguided? Why or why not?

Intention is one thing; expertise is another. There are so many variables in something like this.

I'm not sure it's practical to count on occult powers to heal cancer, especially since each case and each individual are different.

What would it take according to you? How does one go about it? Do you have any concrete suggestions for treating your concrete example?

Agree with that blog entry.

Let me write this:

The greatest power of all has only four letters it is very simple yet humans are blind to it. Only when the new spirit arrives to this world has a good understanding of it through the mother-baby bond. But even in this case it is selfish since the ultimate version is linked to all sentient beings, akin to one of the main ideas of the Tao Teh Ching:

Embrace simplicity. Put others first. Desire little.

Then you will starting loving selflessly and the intellect will be put aside.

This Taoist hermit discusses it from 2:52:

Kundalini has the ability to purify all our chakras, internal organs and meridians but it alone cannot overcome karma. In this last instance only daily internal work, prayer, and other methods will; that is, you must walk the path of suffering and work through suffering in order to attain spiritual liberation.

Intention is one thing; expertise is another. There are so many variables in something like this.

I'm not sure it's practical to count on occult powers to heal cancer, especially since each case and each individual are different.

What would it take according to you? How does one go about it? Do you have any concrete suggestions for treating your concrete example?

Just to be clear, I am not offering to treat anyone for anything. But if we are going to have a discussion of spiritual ethics, then let's really go for it. Is it acceptable to use "occult powers"--however you choose to define that--to heal yourself and others? Actually, forget about acceptable, is it good?

If not, why not? And on whose authority shall such actions be denied?

Agree with that blog entry.

Let me write this:

The greatest power of all has only four letters it is very simple yet humans are blind to it. Only when the new spirit arrives to this world has a good understanding of it through the mother-baby bond. But even in this case it is selfish since the ultimate version is linked to all sentient beings, akin to one of the main ideas of the Tao Teh Ching:

Embrace simplicity. Put others first. Desire little.

Then you will starting loving selflessly and the intellect will be put aside.

This Taoist hermit discusses it from 2:52:

Kundalini has the ability to purify all our chakras, internal organs and meridians but it alone cannot overcome karma. In this last instance only daily internal work, prayer, and other methods will; that is, you must walk the path of suffering and work through suffering in order to attain spiritual liberation.

nice video, thanks

Om

you don't have to "search" for powers just relax and breath and do. Things manifest on their own.

Shakti is ever flowing at every moment.

Some times a "power" is an unbalance. Its best to let the Universe just do through you.

Peace

S

• Like 1

I am often asked about the relationship between Kundalini and Occult Powers. After living with Kundalini for 40 years, here is my take on the subject.

Occult power's can be attained by activating the energy centers,that in turn open's up area's of the brain.

By meditating on the energy center's you activate them,anyone can do this.

As for the usefullness of occult power's,they are very usefull if you have lot's of enemies.

sabretooth.

Yeah, occult powers aren't that great. Kind of like martial arts.

Developing skill in martial arts will only make you boastful and prideful, will lead you to commit sins, you will abuse your powers and no matter what your good intentions are you will only hurt others and wind up going to hell because of your deeds.

Wait... :unsure:

:rolleyes:

:P

April, I like the way your mind works.

In my opinion and experience, the desire/quest for siddhi powers can be a very good motivation for what will eventually result in K awakening. Also the years of K cleaning when motivation to practise wanes, this provides a carrot. My general opinion is that any motivation that leads to spirtual awakening is good motivation.

Now we see that in history some teachers warn us against this kind of motivation, and we see also people generally copying this viewpoint without really questioning it, nor having had any experience with K or siddhi. These people form a kind of out-of-historical-context thought police who kind of throw the baby out with the bathwater. They think that people who want siddhi will necessarily get stuck on them. Thats only true for some, not others. And in this day and age with wifi devices and jet planes, siddhi are not such a big deal, not this great power that will corrupt. In the old days, a siddhi would perhaps have been more of a great thing.

I suppose I have more of a Mencius' view of people morally speaking, we are good. We are also self-adjusting in order to find moral balance. If you can trust yourself with a loaded gun, or a loaded penis, why cant you trust yourself with a siddhi? Its obvious that the main game is what we call enlightenment. If a person practises for 3 years and stumbles into a siddhi, they will get bored of it soon enough and keep going.

My final arguement is that people capable of carrying 2 motivations at once, its not a zero-sum game. For example, a martial artist wants learn how to beat the shit out of an agressor but also cultivate themselves spiritually, 2 goals one practise. Another example is a cultivator wants a siddi to be able to see energies in order to diagnose and heal the sick, and also cultivate their own energies. Bingo! We have 2 goals (cultivating enlightenment, siddhi) plus the bonus of doing good for others motivation.

This is far, far away from the Hollywood walk through walls to rob a bank. Violence and fear sells movies. We are not mostly Darth Vaders, we are mostly Lukes. But to watch TV, you are sold otherwise...

"this provides a carrot."

When life brings me carrots, I make mayonnaise to go with ;-)

Evolution is based on survival information being passed down from one generation to the next. In this way we preserve our eyesight in a dusty environment, instinctively know to quickly take our hand away from something too hot, we struggle to take another breath - etc... Various abilities develop/evolve when survival needs them and make imprints in our Genetic knowledge AKA: DNA.

In my years of study, I've seen others do things as well as have done them myself that are hard for even myself to believe. And some of them can be repeated many times over many years.

Small things like picking up my phone a few seconds before it rings when a girlfriend is calling is common place.

There has been one foundation needed as having a quiet mind for awareness.

As far as Kundalini is involved - it can only be a step in the right direction - although I see it as more of an electrical tune up for our body as well as basic training in meditation. Kundalini is evolved for the beginner but still at the foundation level when compared to many other meditation practices in Yoga such as the Savasana which is described in detail here: http://www.thetaobum...chic-abilities/

YOU KNOW I READ THE SECRET OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER TOO-- NOT JUST WILHEM'S VERSION BUT ALSO CLEARY'S AND YOU KNOW I READ THEM MANY TIMES

I REMEMBER READING IN THE BOOK THAT THE BREATH IS ACTUALLY UNIMPORTANT AND IN FACT IS ONLY A METHOD YOU CAN -ALTERNATIVELY- USE TO QUIET THE MIND

AND YET I SEE ON YOUR 'THE METHOD' WEBSITE THAT BASICALLY THE EMPHASIS IS ON THE IMPORTANCE OF THE BREATH

WHEN THE SECRET OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER TEXT SAYS THAT THE BREATH IS UNIMPORTANT

HAVE YOU READ THE SECRET OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER? HOW DO YOU RESPOND TO MY INQUIRY? HOW ARE YOU SURE YOU HAVENT COMPLETELY CORRUPTED THE ESSENCE OF THIS TEXT?

PS 'I AWOKE KUNDALINI' IS NOT A LOGICAL ANSWER TO 'HOW ARE YOU SURE YOU HAVENT CORRUPTED THE ESSENCE OF THIS TEXT'

THANK YOU

IN FACT YOU KNOW WHAT

THAT BECAUSE OF THIS -DISCREPENCY- IN OUR -INTERPRETATIONS- OF THE TEXT

THAT IT WOULD -APPEAR- AS IF YOU ARE USING 'THE SECRET OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER' AS A BASIS FOR MAKING YOUR SPIRITUAL WEB-SITE A LITTLE MORE IMPRESSIVE

P.S. HAS AWAKEN YOUR KUNDALINI BESTOWEN UPON THEE THE POWER TO -READ- ?

THANK YOU

IN FACT YOU KNOW WHAT THAT BECAUSE OF THIS -DISCREPENCY- IN OUR -INTERPRETATIONS- OF THE TEXT THAT IT WOULD -APPEAR- AS IF YOU ARE USING 'THE SECRET OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER' AS A BASIS FOR MAKING YOUR SPIRITUAL WEB-SITE A LITTLE MORE IMPRESSIVE P.S. HAS AWAKEN YOUR KUNDALINI BESTOWEN UPON THEE THE POWER TO -READ- ? THANK YOU

findley as always no answers other than the obviously artificialy contrived ones designed as critique ... Do you think yourself as the ultimate source of all knowledge?

I'm presently figuring Kundalini meditations I learned in KAP as an intentional rework. If the idea that an "activated kundalini" accelerates neuroplasticity is acceptable then maybe one ought to have some kind of an aim (or several) for such rework?

The results being the practice in and of itself? Want to feel happy? Unhook your happiness from its prior dependency on any and all "external" conditions. Danger, try smiling through a funeral.

Then there's another idea that Kundalini will have her way with you anyway. Life will out. Do you want more or less of it? My answer always surprises me.

Oh, and by the way, if you're looking for a definition of occult powers, try Michael Murphy's bible on the subject: The Future of the Body.

I wasn't looking for a definition, I was looking for your definition. The one that inspired you to quote a story from Ramakrishna in furtherance of your stated and implied points, summed up nicely by:

"Don't let Bruce Almighty fantasies distract you."

To which the natural question is: from what, and why not? Unavoidably a question with moral dimensions.

Even if I wanted to consult the Murphy book, someone broke into my car to steal my copy. I guess it looked expensive. To be honest, I haven't really missed it since. Maybe Murphy was too hung up on "Ramakrishna fantasies" to write a book of actual practice instructions? :P

P.S. If anyone has a good story about the use of "occult powers" for practical joking, please feel free to share it here.

Edited by Martial Development

When you release the serpent power the trick, I dont mean a real trick, but you must be grounded in mental and physical or you will have problems. I said like always you must know your zip code, phone number in other words if you get lost in new age crap you will never receive the joy of bliss. Best To All, Cloudhand