NeiChuan

Age faster by training methods. Opinions?

Yea so I've heard on many occasions that due to training or even wrong training someone will Age faster then normal..

First off why if someone would be practicing for longevity would they go the opposite direction.. Second.. How to correct a mistake if ones done?

I've heard people mention themselves being proud of there hair turning gray from practice.. But also them reverting back to black.

All sounds alittle confusing.

If you don't use it, you lose it.

Think Jack Lalanne. Most taiji asks you to use no muscle. Good taiji asks you to use all muscle. You use it, you keep it.

Aging faster being a good thing would be a clever belief to pass down if you were a master that didn't want the following generations or maybe even a particular student to be as good as you.

Yea so I've heard on many occasions that due to training or even wrong training someone will Age faster then normal..

First off why if someone would be practicing for longevity would they go the opposite direction.. Second.. How to correct a mistake if ones done?

I've heard people mention themselves being proud of there hair turning gray from practice.. But also them reverting back to black.

All sounds alittle confusing.

There is a book written about the Taoist and Buddhist monks of the mountains in China. A group of guys went out to speak with them and get a good feel for what's going on.

One monk, a taoist, said he was cultivating wrong and he went blind. Pop - just like that, lights out. Not sure how that's possible, but that's what he said anyway. He was in his 70s.

Incorrect training fueled out of anger, greed, self-centeredness or the wrong motivations in general will undoubtedly have such undesirable effects - beware the dark side; many fall under the illusion that the powerful energy cultivated and exerted through anger or hate is a tool, in the world of internal cultivation and out, but such methods are only a tool of self-destruction.

That is complete rubbish, as long as you have a proper diet (raw food)you will live longer than most together with some hard and soft training methods.

Good food, good water, sunlight, fresh air is all you need with some strength and internal cultivation to live long and happy.

Ape

There is a book written about the Taoist and Buddhist monks of the mountains in China. A group of guys went out to speak with them and get a good feel for what's going on.

One monk, a taoist, said he was cultivating wrong and he went blind. Pop - just like that, lights out. Not sure how that's possible, but that's what he said anyway. He was in his 70s.

One possibility is sun gazing

Incorrect training fueled out of anger, greed, self-centeredness or the wrong motivations in general will undoubtedly have such undesirable effects - beware the dark side; many fall under the illusion that the powerful energy cultivated and exerted through anger or hate is a tool, in the world of internal cultivation and out, but such methods are only a tool of self-destruction.

yup yup

One possibility is sun gazing

Full blown sun gazing is a good recipe for disaster. Excessive yang leads to yin...bindness, lol.

Sun gazing should be done during sunrise and/or sunset times. Very benefitial as it stimulates the third eye.

Solar yoga is awesome and probably most Asian mystics practice it every day that is sunny. Whenever I do it, I don't need to eat that day.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

LOL Maybe the monk was tossing off more than the usual? ;)

Yes,sungazing is what I also do as part of my training as in my pic! ;)

IMO these issues have to be approached from three different perspectives simultaneously:

Heart

Mind

Body

Otherwise you cannot achieve the real harmony.

You can get good health and live a long life but without a properly exercised strong intelectual function and a balanced emotional side you can end up living a long but very limited and incomplete life.

Where is your proof Cat?

I work in emergency I have seen old people that dont do anything but just live and live to old age and I also tag and bag young dead bodies that are fit and healthy. When your TIME is up its up, try and live healthy and happy hoping you live a longer life. You cant just say its all Yangs fault, you holding on to a theory that is truly wrong or repeating something that someone else has said?

Also what do you consider a YANG practice?

Ape

I work in emergency I have seen old people that dont do anything but just live and live to old age and I also tag and bag young dead bodies that are fit and healthy.

I don't know but "dont do anything" sound like a rather popular taoist yin concept (non doing) and the young fit people could well have burnt themselves out :P

Too much of a yang focus seems to fit our stereotypical western exercise model. Good for you while you are young and full of energy, but injury and burnout are common over time. Unless you are genetically gifted to withstand such a training regime and only the very top level athletes seem to be able to do that.

Still, got to agree with

When your TIME is up its up

So just try to enjoy yourself while you are still breathing :D

Burnt OUT is more people that dont know about good eating, drinking, sleeping, training you gotta have a balance somewhere. Too much yin or yang means you dont understand the laws of life and living, you can train hard all life as long as you look after your body and mind, spirit which seems to be lost in alot of systems as well knowledge these days.

I knew a kung fu master that smoked 3 pcks of ciggies a day and lived to 90, then you have TAIJI masters die early that SUPPOSIVELY know about Qi and all the rest. So when your day is up its up, seen people in E.D from just coming in for a basic check up to me putting them in the morgue that morning. There is old men and women once they retire from work they die cause the change of life from being active (Yang for eg:) to sitting and dying in a nursing home,you know what I mean.

Yes, like you said bro, enjoy every moment and train as much as you can, develop your body, mind, spirit as much as you can if that is your path.

Ape

Burnt OUT is more people that dont know about good eating, drinking, sleeping, training you gotta have a balance somewhere. Too much yin or yang means you dont understand the laws of life and living, you can train hard all life as long as you look after your body and mind, spirit which seems to be lost in alot of systems as well knowledge these days.

Yep i agree. Enjoy ya life while you have it. Do what you want with it. Have that ciggy, drink that wine if it makes you feel happy.

One more thing needed is listening to that voice inside that tells you "you have to stop now". Usually people get many warnings, not only one or two, but continually ignoring the warnings is to your own peril.

That is complete rubbish, as long as you have a proper diet (raw food)you will live longer than most together with some hard and soft training methods.

Good food, good water, sunlight, fresh air is all you need with some strength and internal cultivation to live long and happy.

Ape

Great advice...I couldn't agree more!

Blessings!!!

You never know when your time is up, all you can do is try and prevent your body from falling victim to desease and what I suggested is as good as you can get to staying healthy and problem free which I guess can give happiness (unless you going through some issues in life like divorce etc) But healthy body means you can do more things older! If you die from some type of desease being healthy at least you know you gave it your best and such is life man, but you did your best to stay healthy.

blessings back... :)

Ape

I've heard people mention themselves being proud of there hair turning gray from practice...

????

Movement is Yang, Qigong and all "training" is a Yang activity, because activity is Yang. See the spiral? Everything about it except for the dot in the middle and the very tip of the arm, is Yang.