Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

medicinal soups

I just sold old books and then went to the Chinese herb store to pick up some lyceum berries (I hear they're exactly the same as goji berries except cheaper), astragulas, codenopsis and rhemanniae. The last three were specifically recommended to me to use in thoroughly cooked soups for their medicinal properties. The nice lady at the store told me to follow this recipe:

1 lb chicken without the fat and skin

salt

4 sticks astragulas

3 pieces of codenopsis

2 pieces of rhemannia

1/2 tbsp goji berries

Cook for 2-3 hours, then eat.

I am excited about my herbal soup that I am making, was wondering if other people have favorite medicinal soup recipes?

I'll let you know how it comes out. :)

1 lb chicken without the fat and skin

salt

4 sticks astragulas

3 pieces of codenopsis

2 pieces of rhemannia

1/2 tbsp goji berries

I've cooked with all those herbs before, and like them. The rehmannia & codonopsis I cut into small pieces with cooking scissors. The astragalus I tie into some cheese-cloth (i think that's the name of that cloth), so that I can easily fish them out after cooking; astragalus is so woody, you don't want to eat it. The rest are good to eat.

Edited by Trunk

It says on my lyceum berries that they need to be boiled for 10 minutes before serving, and the codenopsis says that the product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and/or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Whatever could they mean? :blink:

It says on my lyceum berries that they need to be boiled for 10 minutes before serving, and the codenopsis says that the product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and/or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Whatever could they mean? :blink:

Dunno. I've eaten plenty of both raw, cooked, and in extract form. (Not that that means anything.)

Sign in to follow this