Sign in to follow this  
Apech

Blue lotus / lilly - nymphaea cerulea

Hi,

This plant was used for healing and aphrodisiac in Egypt, its scent was supposed to be very important - has anyone any experience of using it for healing and can anyone describe its smell for me?

It was deified as the god Nefertem.

Thanks

A.

Well, I notice a slight aphrodisiac effect as well as a very subtle kind of improved circulation.

Don't know how to describe the energetic/alchemical effect it has, but it's definite and I can tell it's helpful for me.

Haven't used it for a while now, but I would typically make tea with it, or sometimes just chew on it. It's relaxing to smoke, although not as tasty. People have said that they enjoy the smell of the smoke.

I am interested to learn more about it.

Well, I notice a slight aphrodisiac effect as well as a very subtle kind of improved circulation.

Don't know how to describe the energetic/alchemical effect it has, but it's definite and I can tell it's helpful for me.

Haven't used it for a while now, but I would typically make tea with it, or sometimes just chew on it. It's relaxing to smoke, although not as tasty. People have said that they enjoy the smell of the smoke.

I am interested to learn more about it.

I'm not really into herbal things but I was reading about the god Nefertem who is the child who is born in the blue lotus. In the Pyramid Texts when the king comes out of the underworld into the horizon he is said to appear as Nefertem.

"Unas will appear as Nefertem, as the water lily at the Sun's nose when he emerges from the Akhet everyday, the one at the sight of whom the gods become clean."

The fact that he is at the Sun's nose suggests that it is the scent of the lily/lotus which is important. Its something to do with opening up perception, freshness, newness, stimulation. That's why I was asking about the smell.

They found blue lotus flowers in Tutankhamun's coffin when they opened it up.

Nefertem was the child of the god Ptah of Memphis - one of the oldest gods of Egypt and who is said to create all the other gods through his heart (mind) and tongue (thought). The mother of Nefertem is Sekhemet whose name means 'powerful one', a lioness often thought of as wrathful because of the myth (Celestial or Divine Cow) in which Ra sends out his eye in the form of a lioness against mankind when they plot against him. When she over does it and threatens to destroy all mankind Thoth and another god called Onuris (the hunter) put beer mixed with ochre (a red dye) instead of their blood so when she drinks the blood she gets drunk and sleepy and so is pacified. Rather like the phrase 'drunk on power'.

I tried it multiple times, received no perceivable benefit

Oh! That brought me down to earth. Thanks for answering anyway :).

I've smoked and vaporised a damiana/blue lotus/mugwort blend

Subtle effect (as are most of the legal things) but relaxing, visually sharpening (probably the damiana) and good dreams (probably the mugwort)

I like http://www.happyhighherbs.com/ great info in Ray Thorpes book Happy High Herbs, highly recommended.

Sign in to follow this