hajimesaito

Discussion about supernormal abilities of various masters

I am starting this thread so that the members here could post their experiences with various masters, sages, monks, martial artists etc who displayed abilities that seem to defy nature: like telepathy, levitation, clairvoyance, mind reading abilities, great physical strength (MAists) etc.

This is just to give inspiration to many members like me who have never personally been acquainted with anyone like that.

I know some would argue that these things are quite irrelevant to the real spiritual cultivation (most of whom are likely to be Buddhists), but all I can say is that I do understand the effect on ego due to the desire to acquire such abilities. Perhaps this thread will only serve to make the members aware of the possibilities that exist in human body and mind.

I take it many who actually have such experiences would highly value them and perhaps keep them to themselves, it seems to me to be sort of disrespectful to the master to spoil an experience and his inclination to show you something very sacred and rare. And yes, seeking such is ego building and not conducive to a spiritual path, no matter how many well constructed excuses one uses.

Well, I think of it like this: so much of what we read in the Daoist cannon is metaphorical that I really believe we have to consider the possibility that some of the claims made about prior sages were as well. Particularly flying--which I think is meant to mean a spiritual journey, a la King Wen's trip in the Leih-tzu.

(a la King Wen? See what I did there?)

Now, that having been said, I have heard credible latter-day accounts of spiritual people of many different backgrounds doing amazing things. I absolutely believe that the human mind and body can surpass many of their perceived limitations. Heck, it's part of why I'm here.

I think these things are not such a big deal. They are natural occurrences, and most likely you already have experience in them without being able to recognize it. What you imagine they would be like is not what they actually are like.

Another thing is, if you had these things manifest strongly, you may not enjoy your life as a result. For instance, reading what's going on with people can be very disturbing rather than something cool and fun.

Well, I was expecting replies about people like John Chang who could utilize their spiritual abilities for both healing and martial purposes.

Whats so wrong about discussing this?

Well, I was expecting replies about people like John Chang who could utilize their spiritual abilities for both healing and martial purposes.

Whats so wrong about discussing this?

Nothing wrong. I've never been entirely convinced by John Chang but I know he has a lot of followers on here - I've only seen the video posted - the one where he pokes a chop stick through a table and other things though.

I think there's probably a lot of us who could cite the telepathic type of siddhis and I myself could say there's lots of occasions when I have known something I could not logically know and so on. But the other walking on water stuff - well I think that's few and far between.

Cheers

A.

I am starting this thread so that the members here could post their experiences with various masters, sages, monks, martial artists etc who displayed abilities that seem to defy nature: like telepathy, levitation, clairvoyance, mind reading abilities, great physical strength (MAists) etc.

This is just to give inspiration to many members like me who have never personally been acquainted with anyone like that.

ime, the main siddhi to look for is transmission. Meditate in a room with a Teacher on the vibe is refined and powerful and various states of mind are easily accessible - that's what pays off for students. Not to dis any other discussion, just sayin'. :)

Hi All,

I think that discussions such as this are of value. I hope it doesn't digress into just cutting down people who have made claims.

I think y'all pretty much know where I stand but I want to point out that I believe that we, in the most part, have abilities, both in body and mind, far exceeding what most of us think we have.

I have mentioned in another thread that I have performed Chi healing on myself. I have also had one deja vu experience that I was and am unable to explain with any 'logical' explanation.

So I guess I just wanted to say that I hope this thread can be maintained in a positive atmosphere.

Peace & Love!

Well, I think of it like this: so much of what we read in the Daoist cannon is metaphorical that I really believe we have to consider the possibility that some of the claims made about prior sages were as well. Particularly flying--which I think is meant to mean a spiritual journey, a la King Wen's trip in the Leih-tzu.

Have you heard of St. Joseph of Cupertino, "The Flying Saint"?

Edited by David Yeh

IMO, the most significant siddhi is the ability in oneself to recognize subtle inner growth that translates into outward changes. Without this ability no amount of transmission can bear any significant transformation.

Sometimes 'siddhis' are very normal things that one performs on a daily basis, but because of being so used to it, one no longer recognizes it as such. For example, the ability to sip a hot cup of tea can also be a siddhi, for as toddlers, such an act could easily result in a horrific case of scalded lips and tongues.

Taking simple feelings, thoughts and actions for granted could oft'ntimes be the stumbling block towards sensing other subtle yet potentially empowering inner growth. Nothing has the ability to curtail the recognition of 'siddhis' as much as cynicism, i think. This is why the Masters always emphasize the importance of Mindfulness, for without it, recognition becomes quite a task.

Have you heard of St. Joseph of Cupertino, "The Flying Saint"?

I'm familiar with the story, and I've never quite known what to make of it. It's contemporary enough to have at least some credibility, but it's odd for all of that.

When I learnt Aikido I came across many stories made about the founder, Morihei Ueshiba. Theres stories on the net about how he could be in the centre of a room with 20 or more students, get them to all charge at him and he'd appear at the other end of the room unharmed, with noone seeing him move.

Heres a link to a story of him 'dodging bullets' http://www.aikidofaq.com/history/story.html

We once had a seminar where an instructor from Japan came over and said that he started training because he live in the next village from O Sensei and he always heard stories of how people could get him to jump onto their roofs. etc

When I learnt Aikido I came across many stories made about the founder, Morihei Ueshiba. Theres stories on the net about how he could be in the centre of a room with 20 or more students, get them to all charge at him and he'd appear at the other end of the room unharmed, with noone seeing him move.

Heres a link to a story of him 'dodging bullets' http://www.aikidofaq.com/history/story.html

We once had a seminar where an instructor from Japan came over and said that he started training because he live in the next village from O Sensei and he always heard stories of how people could get him to jump onto their roofs. etc

I found it some time ago, an interview with Morihei Ueshiba' disciple - Koichi Tohei, dont know how true is this source;

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=93 ; "The stories have gotten rather incredible since Ueshiba Sensei passed away, and now people are having him moving instantaneously or reappearing suddenly from a kilometer away and other nonsense. I was with Ueshiba Sensei for a long time and can tell you that he possessed no supernatural powers."

I know some would argue that these things are quite irrelevant to the real spiritual cultivation (most of whom are likely to be Buddhists), but all I can say is that I do understand the effect on ego due to the desire to acquire such abilities. Perhaps this thread will only serve to make the members aware of the possibilities that exist in human body and mind.

There are pure and also corrupted versions of such powers - That which is beyond corruption is the truest and greatest of all power.

Om

Yes, I have also read many such legends about Morihei Ueshiba. Similar legends exist about the founder of Bagua style - Dong Hai Chuan. According to it, he was once pursued by a rival court body guard and his wife (who was an adept at the usage of pistols) at night while he was fast asleep; but when the shot was fired, he was found to be standing behind them, after which he easily subdued them both. Another such legend says that he was once sitting on a chair near a weak wall which suddenly collapsed, sending panic to many of his disciples who were nearby. But when they began searching, someone realized that he is sitting near another wall opposite to the former one. But the grandest tale was supposed to have been told by Wan Lai Sheng (the famous Ziranmen grandmaster of our century), who said that when Dong's tomb was being attempted to lift by his most closest disciples, they could not move it an inch. Suddenly a voice came from within it, undoubtedly that of Dong's, saying that none of them could be even 1/10th in skill as much as him; after which stillness ensued, and it could be lifted and buried.

I have heard similar testimonies about the strength and skill of the famous Feng Zhiqiang: a Tai Chi grandmaster who is as famous in the west as he is in China itself. Does anyone know any of his disciples to be able to confirm his abilities?

I recall one retreat i attended back in 96 at a center located in the west of Ireland. It was Christmas Eve/Retreat Eve night and the weather was calm and cold, but no apparent signs that it was cold enough for snow. Woke up at 4 the next morning to begin the retreat, and upon stepping outside, to everyone's amazement, the whole place was blanketed with snow! Its even more amazing because Ireland is not a country known for wintry snow and sleet, hence its pretty rare to see snow showers, let alone heavy snow fall.

Anyway, we could put this down to sheer co-incidence. And on we went to begin the retreat which was held in the main hall of the center, which has bay windows overlooking the mighty Atlantic ocean. An awesome sight indeed. Lunch break came around at about 1pm, whereby all the retreatants were asked to observe total silence, as per the norm.

After lunch, a number of us returned to the hall and sat quietly looking out into the bay, pretending to be in deep contemplation... when in actual fact some were feeling rather sleepy due to the early rising. Next thing we knew, a pod of dolphins appeared in the distance, and began playing, for at least a half hour, before disappearing back into the deep. It was a rare sight - i had been in personal retreat for six months prior to Christmas, and have been in the hall every day, looking out many times yet have never seen any dolphins before that afternoon!

Two 'pleasant' incidences in the one day is quite something.

I have also witnessed the sudden appearance of rainbows coinciding with the presence of certain 'very nice' Tibetan masters...

Here is some kandy...First time i witnessed something something like that (dont think he was a master but you never know about people...)was in a village i was staying as a 10 year old.Our friend could move small stones just by looking at them ,telekinesis.Everyone knew about and it was cool,he was just a boy who could move little stones.

I spent next few years periodically placing an empty glass on the table ,sometimes for a very long time ,trying to move it just by looking at it,but never suceeded.

Last time ,that was recently i saw some MA break a massive cement block.

It was fun to watch.

I was at a workshop. I had been having difficulty with opening up the heart and having energy getting stuck in the chest... even before the retreat I wanted to open this area up. The night that I arrived at the house, where the workshop was to be held the next day, I wrote a small note saying 'open heart'... folded it and placed it under my pillow.

The next morning I was chatting with my teacher, having not seen him for over a year... after a brief hello and how are you, he looked at me as if I wasn't even there and said 'so you think you're ready to open your heart eh?'

I was astonished - but it was only a small reminder of the strange things that happen around this man :)

All I am going to add to this is please...please use critical, skeptical thinking and know how to evaluate evidence when talking about 'powers'. Too often these threads are about mental masturbation with no proofs of any kind, just heavy on the biased anecdotes. If you have a real power, it should be repeatable and testable. If it isn't you are a bullshit artist with delusions of powers with hypnotized group thinkers (aka nutriders ) who are basically really into the whole confirmation bias thing.

Edited by SFJane

If isn't you are a bullshit artist with delusions of powers with hypnotized group thinkers (aka nutriders ) who are basically really into the whole confirmation bias thing.

is that so dissimilar to western science? taking the word of of several people who supposedly know more than you because they can back it up with equations and theories that normal people cannot comprehend. when you have the majority of people on your side, who cares about the other scientific critics

is that so dissimilar to western science? taking the word of of several people who supposedly know more than you because they can back it up with equations and theories that normal people cannot comprehend. when you have the majority of people on your side, who cares about the other scientific critics

This.

Shit everything in western science is just theories, that people talk about as true... but were still not the dao.

Just attempting to point at it.

This.

Shit everything in western science is just theories, that people talk about as true... but were still not the dao.

Just attempting to point at it.

Ya totally agree. In the end most people will just pick and choose whats absolute and whats not anyway.. Whether or not a group of credible people have anything to say about it.

I look at these systems as exercises for myself.. Not concrete and not attached.