Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

I'm going on a fast this weekend

After getting the okay from my doctor, I have decided to go on a three day fast this coming weekend. Friday won't be too difficult as I work only 4 hours every Friday and I'm off Saturday and Sunday. I'm not doing this to lose weight or punish myself, but I want to see if I can re-evaluate my relationship with food and drink, and hopefully normalize my blood pressure (it is usually in the 150/80 range).

As this will be my first ever fast, I am debating whether to do a strict water-only fast or a simple juice fast. What do you guys think? I've got a lot of juice stocked up in my fridge, but I'm tempted to do a water only fast.

If you are going to do a juice fast, I would only recommend consuming fresh non-pasteurized juices. Otherwise, I think a water fast would be best. I don't believe you should have any issues at all. I have personally done a two week fast without any preparation on water only and I can tell you it was a great experience.

Ganbatte.

I suggest the water, too. I usually do a week of fasting every december for Rohatsu.

After getting the okay from my doctor, I have decided to go on a three day fast this coming weekend. Friday won't be too difficult as I work only 4 hours every Friday and I'm off Saturday and Sunday. I'm not doing this to lose weight or punish myself, but I want to see if I can re-evaluate my relationship with food and drink, and hopefully normalize my blood pressure (it is usually in the 150/80 range).

As this will be my first ever fast, I am debating whether to do a strict water-only fast or a simple juice fast. What do you guys think? I've got a lot of juice stocked up in my fridge, but I'm tempted to do a water only fast.

Best to drink at room temp so you don't shock your system.

If you do a water fast break the fast with a small amount of juice or blended apple and or pear add steamed zucchini a few hours later.

Small amounts and simple is the key.

Have you seen a TCM doc? depending on your condition, fasting could be harmful. I have dampness (spleen qi deficiency) and I remember trying to fast before without realizing that it was harmful, I didn't get sick or anything and I certainly did benefit from noticing my attachment to consumption, but I certainly didn't make matters any better for my condition.

btw juice fasting is great but watch out for all the sugar. if I were you i'd stick to juicing greens; I recommend this book for advice on what to juice and what to combine and when. http://www.amazon.com/Juice-Fasting-Detoxification-Healing-Fastest/dp/1878736655/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269497336&sr=8-1

Edited by mikaelz

Good idea, I'll probably do a 5 or 6 day fast once it warms up. In the past I've used Daniel Reid's(Tao of Health, Sex & Longevity) method of drinking distilled water w/ fresh lemon juice, psyllium seed and bentonite, you can also add in a little maple syrup.

Michael

Thanks for the info and feedback. I think instead I will do ADF (alternate day fasting) because doing a straight 3 day fast will wipe me out too much. After all, I still have to work next week.

Thanks for the info and feedback. I think instead I will do ADF (alternate day fasting) because doing a straight 3 day fast will wipe me out too much. After all, I still have to work next week.

Ah i don't think thats a good idea. Fast or don't fast. Especially if you haven't done it before. Give it a good crack! After you fast you've only got to eat a little bit and you'll feel full and have plenty of energy. Just eat a banana for breakfast monday morning an u'll be fine. Don't expect to have some great outcome from it. I fasted for 5 days and the changes were a bit subtle but there none the less.

If you always each crappy food you'll feel a bit sick. If you eat healthy you'll feel good. Nice and balanced. The hungryness goes away after a little bit so better not to start eating the middle day or it will be harder.

I mean unless you're over 35 and got some physical job like labouring i'm sure you can cope on monday after your fast. It's a life experience and your choosing to do it. Don't sell yourself short by doing a half assed fast!

Sign in to follow this