Eric Yudelove

Beginning Taoist Practices

This thread is for discussing Eric Yudeloves teachings and only that. Only the practices. Any discussion about him as a person should be done in the other thread about him:

http://www.thetaobum...-eric-yudelove/

I realized recently that many of you might not be familiar with some of the techniques described in classic literature about how to begin Taoist Meditation.

I am primariy focusing on Richard Wilhelm's translation of "The Secret of The Golden Flower", NOT Cleary's translation.

I began working with this book in the early '70s and adapted it's approach in my books. Although my description of beginning the practice including warming the lower Tan Tien and the Microcosmic Orbit appear quite similar to those of Mantak Chia and others, in certain ways, which might appear subtle at first, are actually significantly different from these teachers.

I don't know if this subject has been discussed before, but I think we should see some good discussion here.

I tried to present this material based on my own understanding of the ancient texts, nothing is my own creation or belief, excepting the manner I organized it so that it would be intelligible to understand from a book.

I've already posted a long description of the beginning technique on the TaoBums site in the Eric Yudelove's teachings string.

There were a series of questions relating to my stating that the practice begins by learning to stare at the tip of the nose. Both "Secret of the Golden Flower" and Charles Luk's "Taoist Yoga" begin here.

In a nutshell, the tip of the nose acts like a guideline. The focus of concentration moves to the bridge of the nose then to the point between the two eyes. If done correctly light will manifest and flow backwards into the brain to illuminate the "Central Castle". From there it is focused down to the lower Tan Tien where work is done and then the light is circulated in the Microcosmic Orbit.

The difference here may not appear evident, I'm just giving a barebones description, but it is. In "the Secret of the Golden Flower" system, illumination of the brain is the starting point, not the ultimate object, of Taoist Alchemy. When the light is produced and the lower Tan Tien is activated, the light grows stronger or congeals and is then used to open and circulate in the Microcosmic Orbit. Without the light, there really might be nothing to circulate in the Microcosmic Orbit except your thoughts and relatively weak Chi; which might be a reason why so many practitioners have so much trouble with it.

This approach is quite coherent and simplifies the practice considerably.

It is described in detail in my "100 Days" but this book is now no longer published in the US, although I believe there is an Indian edition in English called "Taoist Yoga and Chi Kung", which was my original title for this book, which my publisher chose to change, against my wishes. Anyway, I'm not trying to sell anything, I don't get any money from it. I'm just telling where the material is available.

This technique may be no revelation to anybody, but I don't know that.

What I do know is how well using the tip of the nose works. You always know where to begin and proper concentration there will almost always instantly put you into a meditative state.

Check it out. If you've never done this, it does take some getting used to. Stick with it if you can. Please post your own experiences along these lines here. Let's not digress from this issue and nothing personal here or I have been assured, that it will be removed.

I came here to discuss practice, after my introductory post, this is what I wrote about in my 1st posting. I'm sure there are some fine minds here who have important things to share. We're not looking to find out who knows more than everyone else, who is most arrogant, who is most angry or any other projections of your ego, go take that out on your husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, children, friends or wall, not here.

Here we discuss Beginning Taoist Practices.

Blessings, Health and Long Life,

MESY

• Like 1

At first I experience a straining in the eyes as I look at the tip of my nose, and a shifting back and forth right to left eyes and back to the center. At the same time I feel an intensification of consciousness and focus. Very first attempts here.

This thread is for discussing Eric Yudeloves teachings and only that. Only the practices. Any discussion about him as a person should be done in the other thread about him:

http://www.thetaobum...-eric-yudelove/

I realized recently that many of you might not be familiar with some of the techniques described in classic literature about how to begin Taoist Meditation.

I am primariy focusing on Richard Wilhelm's translation of "The Secret of The Golden Flower", NOT Cleary's translation.

I began working with this book in the early '70s and adapted it's approach in my books. Although my description of beginning the practice including warming the lower Tan Tien and the Microcosmic Orbit appear quite similar to those of Mantak Chia and others, in certain ways, which might appear subtle at first, are actually significantly different from these teachers.

I don't know if this subject has been discussed before, but I think we should see some good discussion here.

I tried to present this material based on my own understanding of the ancient texts, nothing is my own creation or belief, excepting the manner I organized it so that it would be intelligible to understand from a book.

I've already posted a long description of the beginning technique on the TaoBums site in the Eric Yudelove's teachings string.

There were a series of questions relating to my stating that the practice begins by learning to stare at the tip of the nose. Both "Secret of the Golden Flower" and Charles Luk's "Taoist Yoga" begin here.

In a nutshell, the tip of the nose acts like a guideline. The focus of concentration moves to the bridge of the nose then to the point between the two eyes. If done correctly light will manifest and flow backwards into the brain to illuminate the "Central Castle". From there it is focused down to the lower Tan Tien where work is done and then the light is circulated in the Microcosmic Orbit.

The difference here may not appear evident, I'm just giving a barebones description, but it is. In "the Secret of the Golden Flower" system, illumination of the brain is the starting point, not the ultimate object, of Taoist Alchemy. When the light is produced and the lower Tan Tien is activated, the light grows stronger or congeals and is then used to open and circulate in the Microcosmic Orbit. Without the light, there really might be nothing to circulate in the Microcosmic Orbit except your thoughts and relatively weak Chi; which might be a reason why so many practitioners have so much trouble with it.

This approach is quite coherent and simplifies the practice considerably.

It is described in detail in my "100 Days" but this book is now no longer published in the US, although I believe there is an Indian edition in English called "Taoist Yoga and Chi Kung", which was my original title for this book, which my publisher chose to change, against my wishes. Anyway, I'm not trying to sell anything, I don't get any money from it. I'm just telling where the material is available.

This technique may be no revelation to anybody, but I don't know that.

What I do know is how well using the tip of the nose works. You always know where to begin and proper concentration there will almost always instantly put you into a meditative state.

Check it out. If you've never done this, it does take some getting used to. Stick with it if you can. Please post your own experiences along these lines here. Let's not digress from this issue and nothing personal here or I have been assured, that it will be removed.

I came here to discuss practice, after my introductory post, this is what I wrote about in my 1st posting. I'm sure there are some fine minds here who have important things to share. We're not looking to find out who knows more than everyone else, who is most arrogant, who is most angry or any other projections of your ego, go take that out on your husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, children, friends or wall, not here.

Here we discuss Beginning Taoist Practices.

Blessings, Health and Long Life,

MESY

Thanks.. Are you keeping your eyes half-opened during this or closed? Also, I get the same difficulty that tumoessence gets - eyestrain when looking down at my nose tip. Do we just suck it up and grind through that?

I am wondering if this strain might be like a muscle strain after a workout, and a sign of weakness and that this exercise might ultimately be therapeutic. Eye exercises of all sorts feel difficult for me. If it is therpeutic and is a worthwhile mudra saving years of practice then I think its worth it.

Guest sykkelpump

Interesting and good thread,I miss more threads like this

Interesting and good thread,I miss more threads like this

I agree, this is what makes ttb interesting, not threads about jerking off, pimples, hemorrhoids and ramakhrishna.

Let's just hope it will last long enough.... or better yet, let's help it last!

I agree, this is what makes ttb interesting, not threads about jerking off, pimples, hemorrhoids and ramakhrishna.

Let's just hope it will last long enough.... or better yet, let's help it last!

Just to make things a little easier for you, here is my explanation of the tip of the nose practice, which I had previously posted. If you still have questions after reading it, contact me.

First of all as a reference point of how to start the practice, it makes it easy to begin. It is an excellent method for reestablishing the balance in your eye and facial muscles, which in time leads to a better left brain-right brain balance. Overlooking the necessity of reestablishing this balance could continue to be a constant source of distraction to your meditation, although you would probably be unaware of the source of this distraction. With a little practice, the technique should feel quite comfortable.

Once staring at the tip of the nose becomes the starting point of your meditation, you will virtually instantly go into a meditative state when you do it. It has a real quality of closing out the external world and bring you inside. It also is a great tool for quieting internal dialog.

Even when I am dealing with the external world, simply putting my awareness on the tip of my nose results in an instant shift of consciousness that can literally be felt throughout my body, as well as having a general calming and focusing effect.

There is not that much in the available literature that directly tells you why to do it, it mostly just tells you to start there. It is the starting off point for learning what is variously referred to as The Backward Flowing Method in "The Secret of the Golden Flower", Silent Sitting in "Tien Tao Chi Kung Internal Work", I call it Sitting and Stilling the Mind in "100 Days".

In "Tien Tao Chi Kung-Introduction to Chi Kung" from the Chinese National Chi Kung Institute it states that staring at the tip of the nose is a start off spot "to awaken the heat sensation of chi energy" and will lead to an increased ability to concentrate "on the lower abdomen area, cultivating the positive fire."

Charles Luk in "Taoist Yoga" states, "Before sitting in meditation, it is important to put an end to all rising thoughts and to loosen garments and belt to relax the body and avoid interferring with the free circulation of blood. After sitting the body should be (senseless) like a log and the heart (mind) unstirred like cold ashes. The eyes should look down and fix on the tip of the nose; they should not be shut completely to avoid dullness and confusion; neither should they be wide open to prevent spirit from wandering outside. They should be fixed on the tip of the nose with one's attention concentrated on the spot between them; and in time the light of vitality (chi) will manifest. This is the best way to get rid of all thoughts at the start when preparing the elixer of immortality."

"The Secret of the Golden Flower" states:

"The two founders of Buddhism and Taoism have taught that one should look at the tip of one's nose. But they did not mean that one should fasten one's thoughts to the tip of the nose. Neither did they mean that, while the eyes were looking at the tip of the nose, the thoughts should be concentrated on the yellow middle. Wherever the eye looks, the heart is directed also. How can it be directed at the same time upward (yellow middle) and downward (tip of the nose), or alternatively, so that it is now up, now down? All that means confusing the finger which points to the moon with the moon itself.

What then is really meant by this? The expression 'tip of the nose' is very cleverly chosen. The nose must serve the eyes as a guide-line. If one is not guided by the nose, either one opens wide the eyes and looks into the distance, so that the nose is not seen, or the lids shut too much, so that the eyes close, and again the nose is not seen. But when the eyes are open too wide, one makes the mistake of directing them outward, thereby one is easily distracted. If they are closed too much, one makes the mistake of letting them turn inward, whereby one easily sinks into a dreamy reverie. Only when the eyelids are lowered properly halfway is the tip of the nose seen in just the right way. Therefore it is taken as a guide-line. The main thing is to lower the eyelids in the right way, and then allow the light to stream in of itself; without effort, wanting the light to stream in concentratedly. Looking at the tip of the nose serves only as the beginning of the inner concentration, so that the eyes are brought into the right direction for looking , and then are held to the guide-line: after that, one can let it be. That is the way that a mason hangs up a plumb-line. As soon as he has hung it up, he guides his work by it without continually bothering himself to look at the plumb-line."

"One looks with both eyes at the tip of the nose, sits upright and in a comfortable position, and holds the heart to the center in the midst of conditions. In Taoism it is called the yellow middle, in Buddhism the center of the midst of conditions. The two are the same. It does not necessarily mean the middle of the head. It is only a matter of fixing one's thinking on the point which lies exactly between the two eyes. Then all is well. The light streams in of it's own accord. It is not necessary to direct the attention to the central castle. In these few words the most important thing is contained."

I describe these methods in detail in the first few weeks of "100 Days". I add as a starting point staring at a spot before the eyes before drawing the concentration to the tip of the nose, this is for the purpose of helping beginners, I don't think it is essential, but it really does work well.

However, a much more elaborate procedure is found in Tien Tao Chi Kung Internal Work. Here one 1st) Stares at a point 6 feet directly in front of you, 2) Shifts and stops the eyes at a point on a 45 degree angle down and in front of you at a distance of 3 feet, 3) Shifting and fixing the eyes at a point directly between your feet and 4) Concentrating the eyes on the tip of the nose.

Aside from it's initial discomfort, the main drawback to staring at the tip of one's nose, is that it is probably something you would not want to be seen doing in public. As Charles Luk puts it, "you will look like a stupid man."

Well you might look stupid, but you will be performing one of the most intelligent tasks on the planet.

During my years studying with Master Chia, I often wondered why he never taught this method. Finally about 3 years after he named me a master(he gave me a Certificate by the way), he finally taught this method as part of his ultimate level of teaching internal alchemy, the Sealing of the 5 Senses. I really got to wondering why he had taken more than 22 years of teaching in the USA to get to the point that he considered "the end" while the great Taoist literature considered it to be the beginning? It was the way it was taught to him I guess, but it was the point at which I took to the road and the mountains and he went home to Thailand.

I hope I have sufficiently clarified this issue for you.

MESY

Edited by Eric Yudelove
  • Like 1

Guest sykkelpump

Just to make things a little easier for you, here is my explanation of the tip of the nose practice, which I had previously posted. If you still have questions after reading it, contact me.

First of all as a reference point of how to start the practice, it makes it easy to begin. It is an excellent method for reestablishing the balance in your eye and facial muscles, which in time leads to a better left brain-right brain balance. Overlooking the necessity of reestablishing this balance could continue to be a constant source of distraction to your meditation, although you would probably be unaware of the source of this distraction. With a little practice, the technique should feel quite comfortable.

Once staring at the tip of the nose becomes the starting point of your meditation, you will virtually instantly go into a meditative state when you do it. It has a real quality of closing out the external world and bring you inside. It also is a great tool for quieting internal dialog.

Even when I am dealing with the external world, simply putting my awareness on the tip of my nose results in an instant shift of consciousness that can literally be felt throughout my body, as well as having a general calming and focusing effect.

There is not that much in the available literature that directly tells you why to do it, it mostly just tells you to start there. It is the starting off point for learning what is variously referred to as The Backward Flowing Method in "The Secret of the Golden Flower", Silent Sitting in "Tien Tao Chi Kung Internal Work", I call it Sitting and Stilling the Mind in "100 Days".

In "Tien Tao Chi Kung-Introduction to Chi Kung" from the Chinese National Chi Kung Institute it states that staring at the tip of the nose is a start off spot "to awaken the heat sensation of chi energy" and will lead to an increased ability to concentrate "on the lower abdomen area, cultivating the positive fire."

Charles Luk in "Taoist Yoga" states, "Before sitting in meditation, it is important to put an end to all rising thoughts and to loosen garments and belt to relax the body and avoid interferring with the free circulation of blood. After sitting the body should be (senseless) like a log and the heart (mind) unstirred like cold ashes. The eyes should look down and fix on the tip of the nose; they should not be shut completely to avoid dullness and confusion; neither should they be wide open to prevent spirit from wandering outside. They should be fixed on the tip of the nose with one's attention concentrated on the spot between them; and in time the light of vitality (chi) will manifest. This is the best way to get rid of all thoughts at the start when preparing the elixer of immortality."

"The Secret of the Golden Flower" states:

"The two founders of Buddhism and Taoism have taught that one should look at the tip of one's nose. But they did not mean that one should fasten one's thoughts to the tip of the nose. Neither did they mean that, while the eyes were looking at the tip of the nose, the thoughts should be concentrated on the yellow middle. Wherever the eye looks, the heart is directed also. How can it be directed at the same time upward (yellow middle) and downward (tip of the nose), or alternatively, so that it is now up, now down? All that means confusing the finger which points to the moon with the moon itself.

What then is really meant by this? The expression 'tip of the nose' is very cleverly chosen. The nose must serve the eyes as a guide-line. If one is not guided by the nose, either one opens wide the eyes and looks into the distance, so that the nose is not seen, or the lids shut too much, so that the eyes close, and again the nose is not seen. But when the eyes are open too wide, one makes the mistake of directing them outward, thereby one is easily distracted. If they are closed too much, one makes the mistake of letting them turn inward, whereby one easily sinks into a dreamy reverie. Only when the eyelids are lowered properly halfway is the tip of the nose seen in just the right way. Therefore it is taken as a guide-line. The main thing is to lower the eyelids in the right way, and then allow the light to stream in of itself; without effort, wanting the light to stream in concentratedly. Looking at the tip of the nose serves only as the beginning of the inner concentration, so that the eyes are brought into the right direction for looking , and then are held to the guide-line: after that, one can let it be. That is the way that a mason hangs up a plumb-line. As soon as he has hung it up, he guides his work by it without continually bothering himself to look at the plumb-line."

"One looks with both eyes at the tip of the nose, sits upright and in a comfortable position, and holds the heart to the center in the midst of conditions. In Taoism it is called the yellow middle, in Buddhism the center of the midst of conditions. The two are the same. It does not necessarily mean the middle of the head. It is only a matter of fixing one's thinking on the point which lies exactly between the two eyes. Then all is well. The light streams in of it's own accord. It is not necessary to direct the attention to the central castle. In these few words the most important thing is contained."

I describe these methods in detail in the first few weeks of "100 Days". I add as a starting point staring at a spot before the eyes before drawing the concentration to the tip of the nose, this is for the purpose of helping beginners, I don't think it is essential, but it really does work well.

However, a much more elaborate procedure is found in Tien Tao Chi Kung Internal Work. Here one 1st) Stares at a point 6 feet directly in front of you, 2) Shifts and stops the eyes at a point on a 45 degree angle down and in front of you at a distance of 3 feet, 3) Shifting and fixing the eyes at a point directly between your feet and 4) Concentrating the eyes on the tip of the nose.

Aside from it's initial discomfort, the main drawback to staring at the tip of one's nose, is that it is probably something you would not want to be seen doing in public. As Charles Luk puts it, "you will look like a stupid man."

Well you might look stupid, but you will be performing one of the most intelligent tasks on the planet.

During my years studying with Master Chia, I often wondered why he never taught this method. Finally about 3 years after he named me a master(he gave me a Certificate by the way), he finally taught this method as part of his ultimate level of teaching internal alchemy, the Sealing of the 5 Senses. I really got to wondering why he had taken more than 22 years of teaching in the USA to get to the point that he considered "the end" while the great Taoist literature considered it to be the beginning? It was the way it was taught to him I guess, but it was the point at which I took to the road and the mountains and he went home to Thailand.

I hope I have sufficiently clarified this issue for you.

MESY

This makes sense to me,what I never liked with chia is that he dont teach any meditation for generating energy.And imo it is useless to try doing mco without anything to circulate

wow, its like this thread was made for me!

I came across it last night and signed up to post.

I've always been interested in the eastern philosophies and arts etc, I read a bit about chi, the chakras etc as a teenager, I did Aikido for a few years when I was in high school but havent done it for a while now.

This year is the final year of study and I knew it would soon get a bit stressful, so I decided to start daily meditation. I am amazed at the results, I tried meditation once or twice as a teenager, but it just felt like I was sitting there closing my eyes, but now it feels really good, more than relaxaton even, 'feeling good' is the best way I can put it.

Ive browsed this forum a few times before, so I picked up a copy of Taoist Yoga after seeing numerous reccomendations to it by Drew Hempel and others. Within the first few pages it mentions the nose technique so I would sit in lotus position, luckily I was flexible enough to be able to still do it, and use mostly the nose technique for 10-15 minutes every day, my eyes sometimes get strained so I shut them for a while, then start staring at the nose again.

As its how I started I can't say whether its the nose technique, the lotus position or just being older that has enhanced meditation so much but its miles ahead of anything I've done before.

Such effects could be drawn up to meditation in general, however I have one specific effect which I'm sure is from the nose technique alone.

I'll post more on this later in a different thread but for the last two years I have been experiencing a tingling sensation on my forehead and a few months later, the top of my head aswell.

Well now, a few days into practising the nose technique, I began to feel a 'fluttering' inbetween my eyes, on the bridge of my nose. Its not as much of a tingling as the 'fluttering' people describe at their root chakra which Ive also felt or an eyebrow twitch, but less painful.

Its been doing that for a few days now and theres no way of predicting when its going to happen. Ive noticed no patterns to it, it just comes and goes as it pleases.

I'm putting it down to being caused by the nose technique and am just wondering what it means. Its not painful or annoying, so I'm not complaining about it, is just a new and interesting sensation.

Edited by wrenter

this is a part of a private discussion between Mr. Yudelove and myself, the Bolded part is mine, the Italic is Mr. Yudelove's reply.

'Morning Mr. Yudelove, this is Little 1 from TTB

You said we could contact you if we have questions about your articles. I have some, I hope you won't mind answering, be it in private or even write an article that can be available for others as well. So, here go my concerns:

- How does exactly the Light appear, and why?

- What exactly is the Light that appears?

Translation of the T'ai I Chin Hua Tsung Chih-The Secret of the Golden Flower"

This is the opening paragraph of the book:

I. Heavenly Consciousness (The Heart)

Master Lu-tsu said, That which exists through itself is called the Way (Tao). Tao has neither name or shape. It is the one essence(Jing), the one Primal Spirit(Shen).

Essence and life cannot be seen. They are contained in the Light of Heaven. The light of heaven cannot be seen. It is contained in the two eyes. Today I will be your guide and will first reveal to you the secret of the Golden Flower of the Great One, and starting from that, I will explain the rest in detail.

- you may be aware that many of the practicioners complained about the practice of healing love, as being not very beneficial and even risky. Do you think it would be appropriate to discuss these issues, as to why this is happening and why, on the TTB board?

I never had a problem. I don't know what they're doing so I can't answer for anyone else but myself. I realized what a gift I was given with this knowledge when I was single again after my first wife died. Until then I didn't have much of a clue about the real capabilities of Taoist sex. I left a lot of wide eyed, smiling faces behind. And now I have the best and sexiest woman I could ever imagine. Oh----I do add a little magick of my own. But it really works if done right, that's my experience. I did get some really positive feedback on this from my readers. Maybe my system is easier to follow, the way I grow the practice week by week is probably a profoundly different experience from the way others can teach it at a retreat or seminar type setting? You get all the information sort of thrown at you, all though it is probably the same thing that I teach. A slow week by week approach I think will give you a better practical understanding of Taoist Sex.

- another question: are these practices regarding inner alchemy to be done in confined spaces such as house or apartments, or are they suitable to be practiced in open space also? how about practicing with the windows open?

Do them anywhere you feel comfortable doing them. If you don't feel at ease or are uncomfortable, don't do them.

- as a teacher and magician, you must have some experience regarding what people call vampirism on an energy or other levels as well... I would be grateful if you could share your thoughts on the subject...

Absolutely exists. There are some people who can just absorb your life force. I remember a young lady I knew before I met my 1st wife, this young lady had some serious emotional issues that involved the use of psychedelics. Everytime I was near her I would start to feel tired. Finally when we went on a picnic I got so tired that I fell asleep in the grass. I knew it wasn't conscious on her part, but I had become her "host".

Ended that quickly.

Learn to psychically protect yourself. I have an exercise involving the use of a visualized shield in "100".

- did you publish a book regarding the higher alchemy formulas such as kan and li and the reunions? i know of only three: tao and the tree of life, taoist yoga and 100 days... is there another book beside these three?

No I never did another Taoist book. Perhaps when you finish reading my lessons you might not need one. But you never know.

many thanks,

E.S

Mr. Yudelove said that the questions and the answers that he gave should be accessible to the others on this forum as well.

I hope others may come with other and more interesting questions...

Edited by Little1
  • Like 1

What would happen if one directed that light towards the crown instead of the dantien?

In the system mentioned, how is the crown opened?

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

What would happen if one directed that light towards the crown instead of the dantien?

In the system mentioned, how is the crown opened?

Remember what happened to Humpty Dumpty.

It's not a good idea until you are well grounded. Right now we're still working at the tip of the nose. Just pretend that it's more important than your crown for 1 week.

Hey, what's a week?

MESY

Edited by Eric Yudelove

How is the light congealed and used to open the microcosmic orbit? Are there fluctuations or particular sensations that occur while opening the microcosmic points?

Based on your experience/s and feedback from the readers, how would someone change if he/she would practice the qigong as outlined in your books?

How far can this practice take one?

I know for a fact that masters use an elaborate system of sign reading of the practicioner, to avoid errors during the training. What is your view on this matter?

Thank you

Guest sykkelpump

How is the light congealed and used to open the microcosmic orbit? Are there fluctuations or particular sensations that occur while opening the microcosmic points?

Based on your experience/s and feedback from the readers, how would someone change if he/she would practice the qigong as outlined in your books?

How far can this practice take one?

I know for a fact that masters use an elaborate system of sign reading of the practicioner, to avoid errors during the training. What is your view on this matter?

Thank you

yes it is sensations,lots.feels like great sex or similar when opening the orbit

Hi Eric (or anyone else with info), have you heard of anyone else getting the sensation on the bridge of my nose, inbetween my eyes, that I described above?

Hi Eric (or anyone else with info), have you heard of anyone else getting the sensation on the bridge of my nose, inbetween my eyes, that I described above?

Dear Wrenter:

I've heard of all sorts of results and reactions. It sounds to me that you are activating the 3rd eye point. Just as our internal organs vibrate using the 6 Healing Sounds, so too the mid-eye point can vibrate. I've never gotten any negative feedback from people who followed my approach.(If there are I just don't know about them).

What has your practice consisted of up till now? How long have you been doing Taoist internal work? How far have you advanced in the system you use?

I am very pleased that some of you are getting some significant results.

One technique that might help your practice is to visualize or imagine the tip of a finger touching the tip of your nose, this could help you "locate" the tip. You can actually touch the point first if you like.

On a more general note:

This practice if done correctly should radically change the quality of your meditaion sessions. I really can't imagine starting any other way. I put my concentration on the tip of my nose and I'm right there in a meditative state with the energy ready to flow. The tip of the nose just sort of holds you in place for further exercises, so it is not the final destination, it is the starting point. But it works just as well for quiet meditation as well as "active" meditation.

If you continue having discomfort in the eyes, I suggest massaging the muscles around the eyes with finger tips or knuckle, pulling in on the eye muscles(simultataneously pulling up on part of-anus, perineum, testicles- lips of the vagina and 2 front gates

- or all of the PC muscles simultaneously around the perineum). Also and very important, Getting The Tear Out- raise pointer finger tip about 8 inches in front of your eyes. Open eyes wide, stare at top of fingertip, breath slowly pausing between each breath, and keeping eyes wide(glaring) open until the eyes begin to tear. This one can really burn when getting started but is a great technique for clearing impurities from the muscles around the eyes and calming the eye muscles. These are not the same kind of tears you produce when you cry. Do after eye message.

Keep Up the Good Work,

MESY

• Like 1

I've never gotten any negative feedback from people who followed my approach.(If there are I just don't know about them).

I am very pleased that some of you are getting some significant results.

One technique that might help your practice is to visualize or imagine the tip of a finger touching the tip of your nose, this could help you "locate" the tip. You can actually touch the point first if you like.

On a more general note:

This practice if done correctly should radically change the quality of your meditaion sessions. I really can't imagine starting any other way. I put my concentration on the tip of my nose and I'm right there in a meditative state with the energy ready to flow. The tip of the nose just sort of holds you in place for further exercises, so it is not the final destination, it is the starting point.

Cool.

Practical.

Interesting.

Thank you for sharing Eric. :)

I felt some pretty strong activation right away. Feels related to lots of things. L&R thr-channels. 3rd eye bhanda stuff, and going further back into the brain and how that resonates with the lower center. Retreating from 'looking'. Eye exercise stuff. Allowing du to flow into ren instead of pouring out of the senses. Allkinda good stuff!

I guess I've heard it before way back when, looking at the tip of the nose, but overlooked it, "so simple, probably not important". :lol: So simple it's not only right in front of your nose, it is your nose!! :lol::)

- Trunk

Good one trunk. I wonder how many other "secrets" are right in front of my nose? I will look around,(mines pretty big}

I am feeling energy condensing in the center of the head, a very pleasant feeling and it drops down giving the front channel solidity. Energetic sambhavi mudra? I feel my eyes stronger somehow after the exercise, and my concentration is very strong with my "presence" more active. I will spend some time reading Eric's books more in depth today.

I get tearing cleansing from this exercise, but I will try Eric's suggestion.

Bill

In a nutshell, the tip of the nose acts like a guideline. The focus of concentration moves to the bridge of the nose then to the point between the two eyes.

in the yoga sutras the translation means the tip of the nose as in the top, or its root, which sounds like what you describe you discovered during your process

Edited by Spectrum

In "the Secret of the Golden Flower" system, illumination of the brain is the starting point, not the ultimate object, of Taoist Alchemy. When the light is produced and the lower Tan Tien is activated, the light grows stronger or congeals and is then used to open and circulate in the Microcosmic Orbit. Without the light, there really might be nothing to circulate in the Microcosmic Orbit except your thoughts and relatively weak Chi; which might be a reason why so many practitioners have so much trouble with it.

The brain is the crown of consciousness; how would one realize thoughts effect circulation everyday, unless they experienced something different, most people get windows into circulation through love, inspiration, fight flight, competition, "the zone" ... something that opened their eyes, awakened their senses, super connected synapses, synchonized the eternal revitilization. It is here that PRACTICE reverses the damage the mind causes. Empitness is the starting point in which the flower may open and bloom and the orbit spin, slowing down time, or speeding it up. Wuji is the space needed for this flower to grow

A student who has traveled for the first time through the forest is welcomed back on the path as a disciple it is not until the disciple knows every path in the forest, every step, every single stone, high and low, north south east and west, that other people see this and venture to call them a master.

Edited by Spectrum

in the yoga sutras the translation means the tip of the nose as in the top, or its root, which sounds like what you describe you discovered during your process

It is at the tip of the nose, not the top or root of the nose. I didn't discover anything, what I write about was there for anyone to read. Don't mix the systems up.

You've posted some other messages, but I really can't figure out their meaning, they're sort of ambiguous-no offense. Please clarify. Thank You.

Mesy

I've been doing some slow deep alternate nostril breathing (which included a gentle lifting of hui yin in the pauses between, mostly at the bottom of the inhale).. been doing it for.. 5,6? weeks or so. My impression is that the deeper subtle channels of the nostrils have to do with the left & right thrusting channels. And my impression is that there's a lot of alchemy with the nostrils and ren and the channels left & right of ren.

.. and it's such a nice way to by-pass the eyes. Usually when consciousness hits the eyes it's just a mess from there, as far as stilling the mind goes. This is like, ok, not so much attn on the eyes and that allows ren to flow on past the face, or du turn into ren or something like that. The "sealing of the senses" like you were talking about before. Like turning off the juice from a propeller that creates turbulence in the flow.

Good one trunk. I wonder how many other "secrets" are right in front of my nose? I will look around,(mines pretty big}

I am feeling energy condensing in the center of the head, a very pleasant feeling and it drops down giving the front channel solidity. Energetic sambhavi mudra? I feel my eyes stronger somehow after the exercise, and my concentration is very strong with my "presence" more active. I will spend some time reading Eric's books more in depth today.

I get tearing cleansing from this exercise, but I will try Eric's suggestion.

Bill

Hello Tumoessence:

For those of you following this; add this to your practice-

Visualize the Sun at the tip of your nose.

Then set your controls for the heart of the sun.

I am really glad that I stuck around to teach a little Taoism to you.

I was surprised to realize that there was no awareness of the Tip of the Nose Technique in what I would have to call Western Taoism.

It's so easy to overlook, but it is the technique that really separates Taoist meditation from other meditation. If you've never done it I can tell you that it's like adding an afterburner to your engine.

Move your point of concentration up to the bridge of the nose-little bump about 2/3 the way up the nose.

Maintain an awareness of the tip of the nose. Feel the connection between the 2 points.

Your eyes are barely open now as your eyes look at the bridge of your nose.

I found that once I got past the discomfort, it really turned the Taoist practices into something with some fun in it. It boosted everything I knew into a higher gear or dimension. Well anyway, you know I didn't make it up and you learned something important.

Pass it on.

Blessings, Health and Long Life

MESY