Sign in to follow this  
MBZ

What's the difference?

I never really understood the difference between standing and seated meditation...couldn't one do vipassana or the mco while standing and recieve the benifits of both? Thanks for any input!

BLESSINGS!!!

I never really understood the difference between standing and seated meditation...couldn't one do vipassana or the mco while standing and recieve the benifits of both? Thanks for any input!

BLESSINGS!!!

Have you ever tried pooping from the standing position? It is totally possible. But some things are just better performed while sitting down. It is simpler and cleaner that way.

Greetings..

Have you ever tried pooping from the standing position? It is totally possible. But some things are just better performed while sitting down. It is simpler and cleaner that way.

LOL, that's a great analogy.. but, it's not applicable to meditation.. and i don't know about vipassana, is about pooping?

Be well..

BLESSINGS!!!

Vipassana can be done standing for sure but is mosly taught sitting and walking.

LOL, that's a great analogy.. but, it's not applicable to meditation.. and i don't know about vipassana, is about pooping?

Posture is movement, and movement is significant. Would you dare to walk into a yoga class, and tell them their entire practice is "inapplicable"? Of course not. How about Tai Chi, is any posture just as good as another? No again. So you tell me, how does standing meditation resemble sitting meditation? Is it like a raven resembles a writing desk?

So you tell me, how does standing meditation resemble sitting meditation? Is it like a raven resembles a writing desk?

No more like how a Crow resembles a Raven, to me they appear quite similar, like standing and seated meditation appear to be similar.

I too have thought standing = good, meditation = good: why not combine them to = better ? (I don't know)

Greetings..

So you tell me, how does standing meditation resemble sitting meditation?

Based on your post, i suspect we may have different understandings of 'meditation'.. It is 'my' experience that 'meditation' is 'stillness of the mind', suspending the thought process and the internal mental dialogue.. the internal dialogue and thinking processes interfere with the perception of experiences happening simultaneously.. the 'mind chatter' distorts our perception of pure experience, it is the voices of our mentors, of our prior experiences, trying to tell us about the current experience.. so, rather than perceiving/experiencing the current experience authentically, genuinely, and with Clarity.. we experience the prejudices of our mentors and our own preferences.. It is my experience that meditation is the process of 'stilling the mind', such that we can perceive/experience Life with Clarity..

Now, to answer your question.. whether standing or sitting, if you are 'meditating', as i understand meditation, there is no difference.. By my understanding, whatever the 'purpose' is by standing or sitting, there must first be a 'Clarity', then.. the practitioner can 'move' into the 'intended purpose' of standing or sitting.. i sense a distinction between the Clarity of a 'still mind', and the active mind 'doing' something.. and i appreciate the balance between the two perspectives as very beneficial..

I hope that helps.. Be Well..

I've always thought-at first meditation is hard, so do with the least amount of distractions ie sitting. As we become better we keep the meditation with us throughout our activities.

IMO standing meditation (Zhan Zang) works more on the body. Strengthening it, giving more energy.

my 2 bits

Michael

I rofl'd. Great point lol ^_^

Sign in to follow this