SFJane

Pushups as conditioning

All right, I'm converted. Got myself a pair of push-up bars.

I'm thinking about buying some too, which one did you buy ?

I'm thinking about buying some too, which one did you buy ?

Sorry, I have no idea -- there's a thrift shop next door and that's where I got them, they look new but have no labels, tags or any markings. They look rather basic -- lightweight but stay put on the carpet, foam padded, and they are slanted (one side higher than the other).

I am not a fan of pushups. Someone said "there must be a reason why militaries around the world use them." Yes...that reason is to make the soldiers weak while becoming physically strong, so that they can be more easily controlled.

On somewhat of a metaphorical/psychological level, for a fighter, this position is a very weak one...

When you're doing a pushup, your neck (your spiritual connection, or even your connection to your ability to think) is being strained to stay upright (by the position you're forced to not be an upright person/to be sideways), and your eyes aren't level with the ground to be able to see effectively. You are forced to look down (like someone lacking confidence), and to even look up and make your eyes level with the ground is a strain. Your head is fully exposed to the enemy (so they can easily cut it off) and your arms (the way you engage situations in the world/or an enemy) are taken out of the equation, so you can't fight someone even if you could see them. "The way you engage the world" is fully taken up with the task of supporting your own weight, so you're incapable of handling much else...metaphorically as well as literally. Your toes, which normally are for skillful maneuvering of the feet, are bent so that you metaphorically can't walk right. Your feet, the tires of your vehicle, are rendered useless and you lose your connection to ground.

Also, in primarily strengthening those specific muscles, you're damaging your posture and preparing your shoulders for injury.

However if you use it as a part of a complete exercise program, it is good for you.

I wonder if SFJane found any of these replies to be worthwhile, hmm.

I think SF Jane just played you all.

Notice her lack of participation in this thread. She is probably just trying to see what kind of justifications we can come up with for doing a very external exercise, while she sits back and chuckles and does BK Frantzis dissolving practice or something...

jk

Craig

I think SF Jane just played you all.

... while she sits back and chuckles and does BK Frantzis dissolving practice or something...

lol, her loss.

PS. Pushups don't create stiffness, you create stiffness.

I am not a fan of pushups. Someone said "there must be a reason why militaries around the world use them." Yes...that reason is to make the soldiers weak while becoming physically strong, so that they can be more easily controlled.

On somewhat of a metaphorical/psychological level, for a fighter, this position is a very weak one...

When you're doing a pushup, your neck (your spiritual connection, or even your connection to your ability to think) is being strained to stay upright (by the position you're forced to not be an upright person/to be sideways), and your eyes aren't level with the ground to be able to see effectively. You are forced to look down (like someone lacking confidence), and to even look up and make your eyes level with the ground is a strain. Your head is fully exposed to the enemy (so they can easily cut it off) and your arms (the way you engage situations in the world/or an enemy) are taken out of the equation, so you can't fight someone even if you could see them. "The way you engage the world" is fully taken up with the task of supporting your own weight, so you're incapable of handling much else...metaphorically as well as literally. Your toes, which normally are for skillful maneuvering of the feet, are bent so that you metaphorically can't walk right. Your feet, the tires of your vehicle, are rendered useless and you lose your connection to ground.

Also, in primarily strengthening those specific muscles, you're damaging your posture and preparing your shoulders for injury.

However if you use it as a part of a complete exercise program, it is good for you.

On somewhat of a metaphorical/psychological level, for a fighter, this position is a very strong one...

When you do a push up, don't think of pushing yourself up, think of pushing the earth down.

Suddenly, one person can move the entire world.

:)

(yes, this thought really does make it easier :) )

On somewhat of a metaphorical/psychological level, for a fighter, this position is a very strong one...

When you do a push up, don't think of pushing yourself up, think of pushing the earth down.

Suddenly, one person can move the entire world.

:)

(yes, this thought really does make it easier :) )

Thank you for this one.

The same applies to Tai Chi

Push ups, and pull ups, and allsorts of different wonderful exercises that stimulate deep muscle tissue and nerves around arms, shoulders, chest, neck, upper and lower back.

As we know every movement can be done either speedy or slow, repeatedly or just a few times..with more or less friction. I do light weights many repetitions. I'm down to 10 12 pushups, because I've swithced trainingregime.

Due to a broken collarbone that never healed evenly I've been lucky to learn how to stimulate the blood and energy flow in the area. THe exercises are done successively from the waist and up to the neck. Doing them rather slow with a slight stretch in the end with good harmonius breatwork feels extremely pleasing.

I start my day with joint roll qigong exercises that work on the body both "internally" and "externally" and really gets the energy flowing, through spiralmovements but also "externally" by brushing along the meridians on the body's outer surface (can be done even some inches outside the body)

We used to do pushups at tkd. Some of the moving qigongexercises we do, like "grinding the mill" (esp. good for the lungs), are still challenging because it is done so smoothly and slowly, and a movement is wisely done while contacting your physical centre, which again I suppose is best recognized psychically if you are comfortably breathing.

Edited by rain

I forgot all about this thread, lol. For anyone who is doing Push Ups now I recommend you don't forget to balance them out with rows. The easiest way to do this is to get two chairs and put a broomstick on top and pull yourself up to the broomstick. This is so you don't create a muscular imbalance in your shoulders.

I forgot all about this thread, lol. For anyone who is doing Push Ups now I recommend you don't forget to balance them out with rows. The easiest way to do this is to get two chairs and put a broomstick on top and pull yourself up to the broomstick. This is so you don't create a muscular imbalance in your shoulders.

Would a pullup accomplish the same?

Try to do all of them back to back

elevated push ups to failure

push ups to failure

knee push up, straighten out to the regular push up, go down slowly to work the eccentric portion three or four times for 8 to 15 seconds til u hit floor

take a rest and do one more time.

The hands have palm hearts. Also the hands have reflexology point to the five organ pairs.

Edited by lino

Try to do all of them back to back

elevated push ups to failure

push ups to failure

knee push up, straighten out to the regular push up, go down slowly to work the eccentric portion three or four times for 8 to 15 seconds til u hit floor

take a rest and do one more time.

The hands have palm hearts. Also the hands have reflexology point to the five organ pairs.

Going to failure on anything is never good and only tires and eventually weakens your nervous system. Stop at least a good 5 repetitions before you'd fail on Push Ups and watch your numbers rise.

More is less, less is more.

Going to failure on anything is never good and only tires and eventually weakens your nervous system. Stop at least a good 5 repetitions before you'd fail on Push Ups and watch your numbers rise.

More is less, less is more.

I broke 82 pushups in 62 seconds on an Army APFT.

I use weighted dips to start and had an extra set.

This shit is PROVEN.

I eat my own dogfood.

I broke 82 pushups in 62 seconds on an Army APFT.

I use weighted dips to start and had an extra set.

This shit is PROVEN.

I eat my own dogfood.

Training to failure has its place but its not something you do week in week out. Pushups are the ultimate upperbody exercise, it opens up the chest and lungs, strengthens the shoulder girdle and also works the core and legs isometrically.

I like the systema push ups. its the push up position on your knuckles and you walk around on them. Its their way to practice the strike connection angles and to really practice dropping your weight through the arms to the fist...

Also inside Hammer fist and many snake fist strikes use the pectoral...

Training to failure has its place but its not something you do week in week out. Pushups are the ultimate upperbody exercise, it opens up the chest and lungs, strengthens the shoulder girdle and also works the core and legs isometrically.

It can be done when there is rest and recovery. It is a progressive overload system.

I did it so that the push ups were a cakewalk.

The only thing left was to cut my time to 82 pushups in 52 seconds.

I had 47 push ups in the first 30 seconds. I needed to do it in such a fashion where

I had no tiring whatsoever so that it could be almost effortless.

Would a pullup accomplish the same?

Yes...and are better than rows.

BLESSINGS!!!

Yes...and are better than rows.

BLESSINGS!!!

Wrong. Please don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about.