Sign in to follow this  
forestofemptiness

Spiritual Use of Internet Forums

Pretty much the same here, although I usually try "why would someone feel that way" as my question.

I like the perspective expressed in your post.

good stuff... logical etc.

but what of viewpoints that intentionally negate an open principle of paradigm?

when someone refuses to not respond in an emotionally attached form... what then, should they be ignored? there are many things to be learned (or perhaps unlearned?) by such displays me thinks

there is a basic idea: high creates low, beauty begets ugly, etc. and vice versa. could this same principle be at work here? by creating a form of more acceptable communication on the one hand there is an almost unintentional slighting of communication outside the bounds of the acceptable form on the other. for instance, you noted that a positive aspect of this forum is diversity, as in many folks from different areas and ergo many differing viewpoints, converge, for an opportunity to discuss in such a diverse format. it seems to follow that there would be many diverse forms of communication as well, unless we are speaking of limited diversity here (that is, limited to the enforcement of certain viewpoints, in this case, the of standards of communication).

many folks here are interested in 'spiritual' development or whatever you want to call it. to me a large part of this has to do with what you hinted at about attachment to 'this' person, 'this' view, 'this' dualistic subject-object bound mentality. it could be that many are clearing that old drain pipe zhuangzi mentioned. a sutra says that all appearances are illusions (actually i think a lot of them say that).

so the appearance of this text is an illusion... wtf? by appearance is meant that which the mind beholds. by illusion is meant that ego preceives figments...

...so what are we typing for again?

anyway, you brought up a really important, and good ol' axiom 'walk a day in anothers shoes'; it is indeed helpful if we understand where someones point of view is coming from and what experiences, socialization, etc. have led them to adopt such a paradigm, and therefore, what drives their mode of communication.

I totally agree that this place only works if we respect each other - not necessarily the point of view (which could be just plain wrong) - but the other person.

What I really like is those long rambling threads which go off an tangents taking all the scenery before they come back on topic. These usually involve a lot a healthy dispute and sometimes a bit of argument - but that keeps it interesting and I don't mind some rudeness as long as it doesn't get stupid.

But I guess the rule is that everyone has a valid view point even if you don't share it.

Cheers.

John

Hi Forest,

First let me say that this is a very nice and good post and discussion concept.

However, I would like to speak to this:

I find that when I disagree with someone, I have run into a limit in my own mind: I cannot see another view. I have let my mind narrow too much.

I don't necessarily agree with your conclusion. If a person is at peace with what holds as 'true' regarding a specifiec subject then it is fine to disagree with an opposing view. There is no requirement, IMO, to try to understand a tenet that we believe is not 'true'.

Other than that, I agree that we should try to understand what the other person is saying and even more, why they have that understanding if there is going to be a discussion of any value.

Peace & Love

so the appearance of this text is an illusion...

...so what are we typing for again?

For entertainment!!!

That's what thinking's for! It's a playground for the creation of any illusion you chose to create! Once you're free of the burden of taking your illusions as if they're reality, then you can have fun with it.

For entertainment!!!

That's what thinking's for! It's a playground for the creation of any illusion you chose to create! Once you're free of the burden of taking your illusions as if they're reality, then you can have fun with it.

bingo!

if you dont take your illusions as reality how illusive are they?

Sign in to follow this