Sign in to follow this  
Trunk

Tuva : Male Vitality Healing Sound

So, in exploring acupoints on the orbit, I massaged under the chin (the boneless area in a bit) and the nook at the top of the sternum. Which led to a new appreciation of the resonance of the throat and essence, meditations on the cervical vertebrae and .. sound. Experimenting with sound...

I'm basically doing tones while I either the entire little orbit, or back & forth from one pt to another on the little orbit. This sounds nothing like the kidney sound, but sounds a lot like a certain styles of Tibetan & Mongolian singing. These styles of singing are famous for producing two tones at once (which I am not doing), but the immediately striking quality to them is the depth of the low tones. I'm getting results, and I'm excited enough about the things I ordered from Amazon, that I'm listing them here even before I've received them! :lol::D

I ordered from Amazon:

Tibetan Tantric Choir

Tuva: Voices from the Center of Asia

Orphan's Lament

Humming Your Way to Happiness

Check out some of the sound clips from the CDs. These sounds are expressive of male vitality.

The last link is a how-to book. :):):)

In Spring Forest Qi Gong Chunyi Lin teaches a method where he uses two sounds:

Oooooooommmmmmmmmm

Mooooooooooooooooooooooo

If I remember correctly he breathes into a point with the first sound breathes out with the second sound to the next point and inhales with the first sound into the same point, continuing from there with the exhale sound to the next point....

Harry

Awesome synchronicity Trunk! :lol: I did quite a bit of research on chanting, toning and Tuvan last week. Since then I've been playing around with toning OM and sometimes AHHHH while doing CMR. I was also checking out Tibetan Master Chants (and a couple other discs on that site) and Online Tuvan singing lessons. Weird how we were both independently exploring eye movement work around the same time and then moved right on to toning simultaneously.

Tuvan throat singing, YES. See the movie (and CD of music from it) Genghis Blues, about American blues singer Paul Pena's odyssey in Tuva.

Tuvan throat singing, YES. See the movie (and CD of music from it) Genghis Blues, about American blues singer Paul Pena's odyssey in Tuva.

I rented that a year or so ago and loved it. Now that I'm actually trying the practice - and viewing it as a method for male healing & cultivation, I recall that Paul got into this after his wife died. It doesn't mention it in the film, but I bet the low-down rumbling was therapeutic.

Awesome synchronicity Trunk!

Cyber-sangha strikes again! :)

I might check out one or more of those discs you linked to. Gotta see how it goes with my stuff when I get it.. but I'd like to do at least one simple traditional deity chant, and that one has the Avelokiteshvara chant on it.

Edited by Trunk

My NLP teacher taught me to whistle and hum at the same time. It is supposed to be a step towards the Tuva throat singing. It works best for me if I start whistling first.

Be Genki,

Tenguzake

I rented that a year or so ago and loved it. Now that I'm actually trying the practice - and viewing it as a method for male healing & cultivation, I recall that Paul got into this after his wife died. It doesn't mention it in the film, but I bet the low-down rumbling was therapeutic.

Yep. The lyrics to "Kargyraa Moan" suggest that.."My wife died, went on that long black train, Three years since then have come and gone again.. Had to find something to soothe my soul, that's when I found that Kargyraa Moan."

Sure wish I could physically get anything near those low undertones. Heck, I wish I could get the overtones, but I love the low tones especially, seem to resonate the lower part of the body. I wonder if any women do Kargyraa!

Karen

Yep. The lyrics to "Kargyraa Moan" suggest that.."My wife died, went on that long black train, Three years since then have come and gone again.. Had to find something to soothe my soul, that's when I found that Kargyraa Moan."
Bingo! Did you buy the CD and get the lyrics there? (I had only rented the DVD.. I noticed that there's a CD, also.)

Thanks for posting that lyric quote.

Sure wish I could physically get anything near those low undertones. Heck, I wish I could get the overtones, but I love the low tones especially, seem to resonate the lower part of the body.

Right now I'm just going for the undertones. My understanding is that the overtones resonate certain places in the brain .. to get both the low lows and the glands in the brain at once, wow! that would be something. One step at a time: first the undertone.

For me, if I have attention in my throat, it doesn't work. Like "trying to get my throat to make low tones" isn't even close. What works is to really rest my attention in the lowest parts of my torso, and move the attention slowly - in tempo with the breath - from one place to another and back, and let that place make the sound. My throat vibrates incidentally, and - yeah - one might say that my throat is making the sound, but for me, on the inside my awareness and the source of sound is way down in my lower tan tien. And I don't "intend" the sound to be a low note, whatever comes out is what comes out; I'm just allowing those lower spaces to make sound - whatever that is.

When I'm relaxed, and can successfully rest my awareness that low (and not "try" in my throat), then the sound is similar to the undertone. But I can't always get there, and it doesn't last for very long, and there are also various stress-sounds that come out from low. Which is all fine and part of the process.

My point is: if you are trying to do this in your throat, you're in the wrong place. :)

I wonder if any women do Kargyraa!
Me, too. I'm curious what tones a woman would get.

---- later edit -----

The process of getting to the places where the possibility of the undertones is, that process reminds me of Yi Swallows Qi because both of them, at their best, go to the depths of the torso without stress. In fact neither allows full success if there is stress, and yet both of the allow - as part of their process - a release of stress while going toward the full depth. Both are very meditative practices towards resting awareness low.

Edited by Trunk

Bingo! Did you buy the CD and get the lyrics there?

Yup, the CD packaging doesn't have the lyrics, but what I couldn't get from listening I got somewhere online.. maybe the genghisblues.com site or kongor-ol ondar's site. I enjoyed reading the translations of the songs sung by kongor-ol, even though he captures the song in his language better than the awkward translation.

I think there might be some songs on the CD that weren't in the film.. I loved every minute of the CD. Paul also did a gorgeous folk song in Portuguese, from.. oh, I forgot the name of the island off Portugal, where his family was from.

Anyway, I think your take on relaxing with the throat singing and not coming from the throat, is right-on. I'm not especially a singer, but as a pianist I had some singing lessons with a Sufi singer/composer. He started me with very simple Indian scale practices, where I found that I could work on one note for days. And it would just break me through my defenses and bring me to that essential experience of letting go into trust, getting totally out of the way of the process. Powerful practice.

My guess about throat singing is that sound naturally contains these over-and-undertones, and it's just the way we filter them that produces a particular quality of sound. So to get a more complex tone it's more a matter of letting go of the habitual filters, than trying to produce something different. Like the way that a natural vibrato can't come from forcing it but letting go of what's preventing it to come through.

About women doing this.. I don't know what kind of cultural contraints there are in Tuva.. I don't remember seeing women singing in the film, except maybe the kids? But cultural issues aside, I'm gonna guess that the lowest notes that I produce when simply allowing them to, are the right ones for my body. I tend not to like very high-pitched sounds, maybe because I don't need any more cerebral stimulation than I already have! :)

Keep us posted on your progress!

Karen

Sign in to follow this