Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

Healthy Nervous System

I've been reviewing some herbal material by Rosemary Gladstar (though I've seen almost all of this in numerous other books and in notes from my own herb teacher, Pam Hyde-Nakai, and other workshops and courses I've taken) and thought I'd post stuff that may be relevant/helpful for people. There's about ten body systems I will post about eventually if folks are interested. Read the book Molecules of Emotion, we know now that the emotions are stored in the nervous system and nerves are over the entire body; therefore taking care of one's nervous system is a good idea. So here's some basic things you can do to take care of your nervous system.

NUTRITION is the most important thing.

FOODS TO AVOID: Chocolate, sugary sweets, coffee, caffeine in general, alcohol, anything refined or processed. All the good things in life, lol.

NUTRIENTS/FOODS TO EMPHASIZE:

1. Calcium! Make sure you are getting tons of calcium to prevent things like nervousness, irritability, muscle spasms, cramping, hyperactivity, insomnia... Seaweeds are VERY high in calcium, more than 10X the amount in cow's milk. Cow's milk is good too, though, and yogurt... Green leafy vegetables such as spinach, chard, broccoli, kale, turnip greens, parsley, etc. are good. Nettle tea is awesome if you can get your hands on it (ouch it stings!! when you harvest it), oatstraw, dandelion greens, mustard greens, amaranth, etc. You can take calcium supplements if necessary, esp. during times of stress, Floradix Iron and Herbs is good,

pills are not as good but if you must make sure the calcium is from an organic source and they are biochelated for easier assimilation.

2. B vitamins. Essential for mental health and a healthy NS as well as active metabolism. Vit. B deficiency is often present when there are symptoms of mental distress, and disorders such as nervousness, excess fear, depression, suicidal tendencies, irritability, etc. B vitamins synergize each other, don't emphasize one or two at the exclusion of the others. Having said that, NS disorders can be treated with foods high in B5 (pantothenic acid) and B6 (pyridoxine.) 5 is great for stress, 6 with vit. C helps the brain form serotonin which helps you sleep. High-calcium foods include dark green leafy veg, whole grain, whole wheat, brown rice, oatmeal, yogurt, kefir, wheat germ, rice polish, molasses, dried beans, nuts, seeds, nutritional yeast, spirulina and bee pollen. Herbs include comfrey, parsley, dandelion greens, nettle, sesame seeds, seaweeds and

wild oats.

3. Spirulina for the protein, B vitamins and gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), 2tbsp powder or 6 tablets a day.

4. Bee pollen for the amino acids, minerals, enzymes, co-enzymes, vitamins, etc. 1-2 tsp/day, fresh, raw or sprinkled over salads, yogurt, or blended in drinks. Try just a few grains at first to test for allergic reactions.

5. Nutritional yeast (NOT baker's yeast). High in protein, amino acids, B vitamins, trace minerals, nucleic acids, etc. Start with a tsp 2 times a day, work up to 1-2 tbsp. I love this on popcorn, MMMM!!!! The powder is good, don't cook it.

OTHER

Exercise, rest and relaxation, massage, connecting with nature... Oh and herbal foot baths!!

Especially good for headaches, mental stress, etc. You can use sage, hops, rosemary, etc. mustard, ginger, oats, check the spice cabinet. Simmer the herbs for 5-10 min, put them in a basin and add enough cool water so you won't burn your friends' feet, put them in the most comfortable chair in the world, play some soft music, massage their feet/head/shoulders and add more hot tea when it cools. Drinking chamomile tea or lavender while in the process works really well. Before I had a basin I would just use hot cloths soaked in tea and wrap them around people's feet, switching with new hot cloths when they got cold. It is really great medicine.

ive found finishing a shower with cold water down the spine and on the jade pillow and sacrum is also great for toning the nervous system.

also i drink water with himalayan crystal salt in it sometimes, this seems to be good too.

i'm sure cold water would boost the immune system.

just in a book i read it stated that cold water down the spine would help to tone the nervous system.... thats all i know about it really.

and personally, i like it!

i can't finish a shower now without the cold water on my spine... it don't feel right.

"FOODS TO AVOID: Chocolate, sugary sweets, coffee, caffeine in general, alcohol, anything refined or processed. All the good things in life, lol"

Oh my this sound's like a recipe for a nervous breakdown!!!

I use cold water quite a bit though it's in the form of very cold or rather "numbing" mountian stream water. i get in several times a week, even in the winter. it's amazing how putting your feet in seems cold but just plain jumping in is fine, or strangley satisfying. funny i would never had done this years ago but now have enough qi freed up in the extremeties to be comfortable.

theres a deep calm after the cold water...

qi :-)

Great post Lozen. This is one for the printer. And that is really sweet of you to give your friends herbal foot baths. ^_^

I would warn against excess calcium intake. In fact, excess calcium would be deadly. Why?

The muscles use calcium ions to function (contract and all that stuff), so if you've got too much of this wonderful substance in the blood - the heart, lungs and less critical muscles (such as the bladder's or those "I can move the ear!" muscles) stop functioning.

To prevent you from a stop over to the other side, the body stores the calcium in the bones.

Bone = 2 types of cells - osteoclasts and osteoblasts. The osteoclasts will absorb the calcium, dying in the process, and would under normal circumstances be replaced by osteoblast cells (bone builders).

However, due to excess calcium intake, there's an imbalance - osteoclasts die faster than the osteoblasts are rebuilding the bone -> Tadaa: Osteoporosis!

So, moderation thanx!

The irony is that in the west, with our big diary industry and all, we have the biggest problem with osteoporosis, due to mentioned products making it easy to consume tons of calcium.

Just some rant!

Mandrake

HEALTH DISCLAIMER

This adviced has not been reviewed or approved by FDA Blaah blaah blah. If you decide to start a nutrition sect and rip people off their money, I have no liability, only the right to 5% of the revenue.

Mandrake,

Interesting about calcuim. In countries with a high Calcium:magnesium ratio, heart disease is a problem like in the US. In countries with a low calcium:mg ratio like Japan, it's no biggie.

-Yoda

Back when I was a vegan, my propoganda taught me that milk and dairy actually depleted calcium instead of providing it, but that other forms of calc are okay.

Yoda - you're absolutely right! Gosh, sometimes this world is so upside down!

Lozen - I've heard that stuff about milk as well. On the other hand, there's plenty stuff out there that claims that heating milk is the cause, i.e. raw milk don't have these negative effects. Remember when I lived in Australia and first saw UHT - Ultra Heat Treated milk - Absolute EVIL! Never saw that before. Why not boil water and calcium powder instead?

Mandrake

Sign in to follow this