witch

Thoth question

I know this is hardly taoist, but was wondering if people had any similar experiences with Thoth energy? I'm your typical neo-pagan eclectic witch and follow the Egyptian pantheon. This of course is not serious Egyptian magic; it's all mixed up with the Gardnerian tradition and do-it-yourselfness. I'm fluffy bunny. :blush:

At any rate Hathor told me to follow Thoth, and I've been following him now for a while and I feel completely upside down. I used to be fairly confident in what I knew, and in the meaning of what I had experienced, and now I've been in total confusion for a few weeks now. I feel like I'm radically changing and have no idea what is happening to me. I'm able to function fine in the real world, better than usual actually, and I'm fine with my kids, but everything else I am totally wobbly. Things are shifting and changing around me so fast I can hardly get my bearings. The only things that are stable are Thoth himself and my daily mundane life. I don't think I've ever been this confused before.

I know this is hardly taoist, but was wondering if people had any similar experiences with Thoth energy? I'm your typical neo-pagan eclectic witch and follow the Egyptian pantheon. This of course is not serious Egyptian magic; it's all mixed up with the Gardnerian tradition and do-it-yourselfness. I'm fluffy bunny. :blush:

At any rate Hathor told me to follow Thoth, and I've been following him now for a while and I feel completely upside down. I used to be fairly confident in what I knew, and in the meaning of what I had experienced, and now I've been in total confusion for a few weeks now. I feel like I'm radically changing and have no idea what is happening to me. I'm able to function fine in the real world, better than usual actually, and I'm fine with my kids, but everything else I am totally wobbly. Things are shifting and changing around me so fast I can hardly get my bearings. The only things that are stable are Thoth himself and my daily mundane life. I don't think I've ever been this confused before.

Nice post -

Yes, Thoth, maybe like appreciating Hindu mythology or the King James take on it all,

and thinking there must be another way but not wanting to abandon a way faithfully pursued?

Why not go with the tao, abandon nothing of value, and accept all possibility?

Knowledge - belief - faith...? Any differences to your way of thinking?

Confusion that I have known has come through lack of definition on these

points - bit of a koan for the Western head.

Always enjoy your posts - TM

I believe I read in one of the Flower of Life books, actually I think it was book 2, that Thoth told Drunvalo people would begin to experience things like this more and more the closer we get to 2012. Knowing that things are just shifting and not tripping out about it will help you get through it easier...according to Thoth/Drunvalo.

BLESSINGS!!!

I used to be fairly confident in what I knew, and in the meaning of what I had experienced, and now I've been in total confusion for a few weeks now. I feel like I'm radically changing and have no idea what is happening to me. I'm able to function fine in the real world, better than usual actually, and I'm fine with my kids, but everything else I am totally wobbly.

Confused is good (seriously) dropping of assumptions and ingrained thought patterns of what was "known." Sounds like a good change, flow with it.

There are a few here who will know a bit about Thoth. Apech7 springs to mind with his Egyptian focus. I know bits and pieces from a while ago but not something I feel I can speak on.

I don't know much about talking with dead people and gods and such, but I might think that this can be a source of your confusion...

I believe I read in one of the Flower of Life books, actually I think it was book 2, that Thoth told Drunvalo people would begin to experience things like this more and more the closer we get to 2012. Knowing that things are just shifting and not tripping out about it will help you get through it easier...according to Thoth/Drunvalo.

BLESSINGS!!!

So Thoth, the mighty god, who ruled over Egypt for 16 thousand years, talked to/about people who follow a man named Drunvalo? Aha. Sure.

I wouldn't give much of an effort to this whole 2012 thing. Beside the fact that the Mayas thought that the next era in their calendar is too far from their current time to already create the calendar for it, I don't think that it has any other significance.

Isn't Thoth the Hermes Trismegistus, the one who wrote the Emerald Tablet?

Yes. According to some scripts, Hermes is the reincarnation of Thoth, as well as Mercurius was too. They were the three mighty aspects of Hermes, some think this is why he was called Trismegistos (Three Times Great). However, the Emerald Tablet says that he is called Three Times Great because he possesses both the wisdoms of the above, below, and inner realms.

Hi witch,

I think you're experiencing something wonderful, and even if it's difficult I think you should keep on.

It's hard to give you an advice, as I don't know exactly your situation. But I'd just say to trust yourself and keep following Thoth if you feel like :)

What exactly makes you feel wobbly ?

How do you "communicate" with Thoth ? do you do any special ceremony ?

I've been always interested in ancient Egypt: it's a very interesting source of mysticism, that influenced many other religions, we can recognize a lot of interesting patterns. I'd actually like to join you in what you're doing, if I'd not live so far :P

Another question, which version of the Egyptian Book of Dead do you suggest ?

Be well

Edited by buscon

Hello,

I've practised for a long time now using Thoth as my 'tutelary deity' for want of a better term (yiddam if you don't mind a Buddhist expression). I would say that you really can't go wrong with Thoth if you follow and build confidence in whatever is happening. Without knowing more about what is happening (and I'm not asking by the way just saying) its hard to say anything else.

I could say a lot about Thoth in terms of how he was understood by the Egyptians but I don't feel that you want that. What I can say is that I'm not surprised that a move from Hathor to Thoth is disorientating. Its a bit like moving from the Sun to the Moon if you like, very different but still complementary.

In terms of internal/external wobbliness you might find Anubis helpful - especially skillful at balancing energies.

Cheers.

A.

Edited by apepch7

Thoth was the "pilot" of the solar barge that carried Ra (and therefore Hathor) across the sky in addition to being a god of the moon. God of magick and writing as well as everything covered by Mercury and Hermes. You may want to take a look at Liber Israfel, an invocation of Thoth that was passed through the Golden Dawn (there are versions included in Crowley's Liber ABA and Equinox as well as Regardie's Golden Dawn, though in the latter it may have a different title). In the end all the gods, be they Eastern or Western, are aspects of the One, whatever that means.

I guess the most fundamental thing is the change in personality. For well on twelve years now I've been very relaxed and pleasure-filled and horny. I've been placid. I could literally stare off into space and think of absolutely nothing. My mind would be a complete blank. I was also almost completely self-sufficient. Of course I appreciated men and they turned me on, but I had no strong desire to find someone special. I easily had transcendental mystical sexual experiences, and I desired to have them.

I've gone from someone who could lie in bed all day and have hundreds of orgasms (on my rare days off when I was alone), to someone who is very angry and impatient. My anger is a particular kind of anger, when something is "not right." There is the way things should be which I can see with blinding clarity, and when they are not that I get vexed. And I'm restless, my body is especially restless. I joined a gym! This is downright comical.

I went from being the most patient, placid person in the world to a flighty fidgeter. And the things I valued, I still value them, I remember, but my desires have changed. For a while I wasn't orgasmic, but that has come back. Not quite as strong as before, but I think that is due to being more particular in what turns me on.

The weirdest thing is my obsession with the material world. I used to be pretty dreamy and mystical, now I obsess over fresh produce, getting a bargain, and tracking my receipts. I have the uncanny certainty that I am getting ready for something, and this is still with the sun in my twelfth house. By next weekend I know it will be much more pronounced, this real world focus.

I'd say I was acting crazy, but the way I am acting now is actually much more conforming to what most people would consider sane. The crazy thing is that it is so radically different so suddenly, in a matter of a couple months my entire personality has shifted, at least internally.

I wouldn't give much of an effort to this whole 2012 thing. Beside the fact that the Mayas thought that the next era in their calendar is too far from their current time to already create the calendar for it, I don't think that it has any other significance.

It's a common misconception that their calendar ends on 2012, it doesn't, it's simply the end of a large cycle and hence much of the symbology they were concerned with was relevant to this cycle.

I'd say I was acting crazy, but the way I am acting now is actually much more conforming to what most people would consider sane. The crazy thing is that it is so radically different so suddenly, in a matter of a couple months my entire personality has shifted, at least internally.

Witch, don't know if this will be of any assistance, but it might, and my understanding is still very incomplete, but here's my take on a not dissimilar journey i've been in:

I've been getting into hermetic and 'western magical' practices the last couple of years and have had a very strong connection with Thoth/Hermes/Mercury. One of the consequences of this is that i've been forced to be less dreamy myself and to be a lot more practical, my emotional life particularly has been intensely challenging and i've fallen prey to many of the attachments i'd criticised in others. Additionally, i've been having to learn to apply my spiritual knowledge to be able to get anything done in the material world, something i'd always been a bit cynical of and my 'bliss' experiences have certainly become more subdued. Initially this confused me, but as i've gone deeper it's become more obvious to me that critical to Thoth/Hermes is the concept of 'as above, so below, and as below, so above'. Getting a grip on this crazy thing most people call reality, and being able to steer our own course in it, is the foundation of being able to do the same in the higher realms. Most people see Thoth/Hermes as a knowledge giver, yet i also think he/it is somewhat of a gatekeeper also, in that once you reach a certain level of accomplishment/knowledge, you will be challenged to really master the material and emotional realms (ie Malkuth and Yesod if you use the tree of life) before going further, usually by being thrown into them and even being stripped of your 'magic' through this trial. This theme arises often enough in mythology for a very good reason. My intuition is that this is a compassionate act, make it through this trial and the door to a deeper level of wisdom is open.

I'm a sailor (from birth more or less) and I understand some of what you've written in this post as being similar to the surprise/anticipation I feel when I see the wind before me shifting on the waves before I lead my boat into them.

I don't know anything about Thoth, but I figure him as a 3rd chakra dude;-) A willful and a will in action. I'd say he's an animus to Hathor. Just as strong as she is. So nothing to fear;-) As I go on, my meetings with men are getting much less antagonistic. I figure all the sex dreams I'm having are integration. From the eroticism of them, of course ;-)

All lovely.

It's a common misconception that their calendar ends on 2012, it doesn't, it's simply the end of a large cycle and hence much of the symbology they were concerned with was relevant to this cycle.

Witch, don't know if this will be of any assistance, but it might, and my understanding is still very incomplete, but here's my take on a not dissimilar journey i've been in:

I've been getting into hermetic and 'western magical' practices the last couple of years and have had a very strong connection with Thoth/Hermes/Mercury. One of the consequences of this is that i've been forced to be less dreamy myself and to be a lot more practical, my emotional life particularly has been intensely challenging and i've fallen prey to many of the attachments i'd criticised in others. Additionally, i've been having to learn to apply my spiritual knowledge to be able to get anything done in the material world, something i'd always been a bit cynical of and my 'bliss' experiences have certainly become more subdued. Initially this confused me, but as i've gone deeper it's become more obvious to me that critical to Thoth/Hermes is the concept of 'as above, so below, and as below, so above'. Getting a grip on this crazy thing most people call reality, and being able to steer our own course in it, is the foundation of being able to do the same in the higher realms. Most people see Thoth/Hermes as a knowledge giver, yet i also think he/it is somewhat of a gatekeeper also, in that once you reach a certain level of accomplishment/knowledge, you will be challenged to really master the material and emotional realms (ie Malkuth and Yesod if you use the tree of life) before going further, usually by being thrown into them and even being stripped of your 'magic' through this trial. This theme arises often enough in mythology for a very good reason. My intuition is that this is a compassionate act, make it through this trial and the door to a deeper level of wisdom is open.

What EagleShen says here is in accord with my own experience also.. it's all for the refinement of balance and the 'living skillfully' necessity, which has to penetrate all layers of one's being.

This is very reassuring--it does feel as if I have been "stripped of my magic." Thank you everyone!

This thread has been turning over in my mind, rather than being 'stripped' of your magic, think of it more like being forcibly moved from your 'magic' being subconscious to conscious, ie learning the true skill of your natural talents. It helps me :)

Hi Witch,

Thanks for sharing. I am not sure if this will be helpful as lots of good other stuff has been mentioned. But what you wrote does make me think of Transitioning across the Abyss between Tifaret and Keter.

Hathor is (in some systems) placed at Tifaret and Thoth is placed at Keter.

You probably wont find him there in books as much as he is often situated with Mercury in Hod. The Keter connection is when you start learning about True Mercury...

Thoth in Hod is Thoth the messenger and scribe(as I understand it) But the secret In some traditions is that he is the greatest God. (Keter)

In many descriptions of crossing the abyss (and Tradition says there will be many crossings) what we know of ourselves and our habitual ways of being crumble - A good thing. Funnily enough, tracking receipts, obsessive bargain hunting, fidgeting, all sound to me like un-redeemed Mercury.

So it is possible that here is more archetypal shenanigans as you move between the two Natures of Thoth himself, from lesser to greater.

Good stuff, Have Fun.