Ron Goninan

Self healing & the Martial Arts

About 12 years ago I contracted Glandular Fever which then resulted in me being diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), a serious and debilitating illness that can last for years, and sometimes for life. Symptoms of CFS/ME include overwhelming exhaustion, both physical and cognitive, memory and concentration impairment, an intense 'flu like feeling, muscle pain, sleep disturbance, headaches, disturbance of balance and other symptoms. There is no effective treatment for CFS/ME.

The main symptoms of CFS/ME are persistent profound weakness, extreme tiredness after any form of exertion, disrupted sleep, pain and neurological and cognitive (thought related) problems. Other symptoms include:

* Orthostatic hypotension (a sudden drop in blood pressure when you stand up)

* Orthostatic tachycardia (increased heart rate when you stand up)

* Palpitations

* Shortness of breath with exertion

* Muscle twitching

* Sensitivity to light, touch and sound

* Nausea

* Gastrointestinal and urinary problems

* Sore throat and tender lymph nodes

* Marked weight change - extreme loss or gain

* Not coping with temperature changes.

As you can see this would and still does to some effect, have an impact on my training and capacity.

Exercise is often a problem for people with CFS because physical activity may worsen their symptoms. Some people with CFS, especially in the weeks or months following onset, are unable to perform the most basic activities, such as showering or walking from one room to another. In such cases of extreme exhaustion and pain, the person may be confined to their bed. As time passes, they may feel a little better and attempt regular exercise. However, aerobic activity can cause a relapse of symptoms.

It gets worse, as a result of the CFS/ME I went on to develop Bi-Polar Depression. Bipolar disorder, also known as manic-depressive illness, is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts in a person's mood, energy, and ability to function. Different from the normal ups and downs that everyone goes through, the symptoms of bipolar disorder are severe. They can result in damaged relationships, poor job or school performance, and even suicide. But there is good news: bipolar disorder can be treated, and people with this illness can lead full and productive lives. It is mainly caused by a lack of serentonin in the brain. Bipolar disorder is a lifetime illness.

This had a devestating effect on not only my training but my life, causing great grief for my family, and it could have destroyed my marriage had I not been urged to seek out help. It almost destroyed me. I have seen the darkness of humanity and myself.

As a result of the Bi-Polar condition and the CFS/ME I have had to re-structure my whole life (which includes my training and teaching). I have cut back on my teaching schedule and only now teach a small select group of people who I really like. With Medication daily, correct eating and training in Chi-Kung and the forms of my style etc I now have a normal (Whatever that may be!) life. I balance the effects of this disease by good diet, good training (smart training) and Chi-Kung practices which are a part of my style.

I also use Chinese traditional herbs including Monk Wine (500 year old recipe). There is no Western "cure" for ME.

I am now much more happier than ever.

I realise that many out there have it much worse than me.

I also suffer of Gilbert syndrome, which is a genetic inherited illness of the liver that has no cure and which leads to chronic fatigue. And I think that's why I began martial arts and qigong training from my teen age. But I don't think is worse than you, I may say I am blessed that I found taoism and traditional chinese medicine because of that.

This woman teaches a simple qigong that has a lot of sucess in helping people with chronic fatigue. She is six times world champion of tai chi, a kung fu master and an expert in medical qigong and a TCM doctor:

http://www.qigonginstitute.org/listing/teachers/W_Yan.html

The qigong is easy enough for her to explain it to someone with experience over the phone or skype. It is basicly just a simple breathing technique with some very simple movements.

One thing that might also help is brainwave entrainment. It is very quick in taking you into desired meditative states at particular frequencies believed to be beneficial for particular things.

Springforest qigong has a particulary good reputation arround her for being good at healing illness. Master Chunyi Lin, the founder of springforest, is also a renowned healer you might check out.

Michael Lomax, which posts her under the name Ya Mu, is also a medical qigong expert that teaches a taoist alchemical system called stilness movement that apear to be very good at healing illness and imbalance in addition to "higher" alchemical goals. He is also a good healer.

Just thought I would mention a few things you could check out/consider.

Edited by markern

smile.gif Thank you markern for your compassion, but I forgot to mention, I am too more happier than ever with my practice and my self healing.

_/\_

Try to incorporate walking meditation in an environment rich in natural activity: they could be flowers, trees, wildlife, untainted water streams, etc. Do it very slowly, like 100 m in one hour walk by breaking each step into 4, 5 or 6 defined parts. This slow pace will massage all your internal organs, clean and remove blocked Qi in all your meridians, and of course trigger internal alchemy.

Good luck and all the best in your recovery.

Try to incorporate walking meditation in an environment rich in natural activity: they could be flowers, trees, wildlife, untainted water streams, etc. Do it very slowly, like 100 m in one hour walk by breaking each step into 4, 5 or 6 defined parts. This slow pace will massage all your internal organs, clean and remove blocked Qi in all your meridians, and of course trigger internal alchemy.

Good luck and all the best in your recovery.

yeah i think walking meditation is very important. As you begin practice you do it in a quiet environment and by yourself but finally if you persist you can do it all day in your every day life. Your stress is then reduced dramatically increasing your healing greatly. Sitting in meditation is healing but if you do it too long i really feel you are wasting your life. It is useful to grasp the foundations of meditation and also to still your mind effectivly but eventually you should work towards having the same effect in your everyday life.

bipolar disorder ... It is mainly caused by a lack of serentonin in the brain. Bipolar disorder is a lifetime illness.

This is patently false information.

Edited by SFJane