Sign in to follow this  
David Yeh

What's the origin of this qigong exercise?

Hi all,

I was taught a qigong exercise a while ago, I forget by whom. He said it was called "hunyuan" qigong. I wanted to see if anyone here knew any more details about the origin.

I don't have a video or picture, but it is pretty simple to describe. It's done standing up, one side at a time.

First the right hand/arm float up as the right heel lifts off the ground simultaneously. As they float back down, the left hand/arm and left heel start lifting. Repeat.

Anyone know what that's from, and what it's supposed to cultivate?

Thanks,

David

Edited by David Yeh

Hi all,

I was taught a qigong exercise a while ago, I forget by whom. He said it was called "hunyuan" qigong. I wanted to see if anyone here knew any more details about the origin.

I don't have a video or picture, but it is pretty simple to describe. It's done standing up, one side at a time.

First the right hand/arm float up as the right heel lifts off the ground simultaneously. As they float back down, the left hand/arm and left heel start lifting. Repeat.

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

That sounds like one of the eight brocade pieces. Who knows where it actually came from. To me, these are no more than good stretches and have very little energy component. I still do them every now & then.

Hi David,

That sounds like one of the eight brocade pieces. Who knows where it actually came from. To me, these are no more than good stretches and have very little energy component. I still do them every now & then.

Yeah. I'm just trying to come up with some helpful things to give a stroke patient, something not too complicated. I think it could still be qigong if done in a qigong state of mind. This one popped into mind but I don't know what the supposed energetics of it are.

Yeah. I'm just trying to come up with some helpful things to give a stroke patient, something not too complicated. I think it could still be qigong if done in a qigong state of mind. This one popped into mind but I don't know what the supposed energetics of it are.

Agreed. I think it can help open the channels and also feel you have intuitively "seen" this exercise because it IS one your patient needs right now. It also is a heaven/earth thing because while one hand goes to heaven the other goes to earth, so probably a good one for balance, eh?

Hey David - I misread your description at first and thought you were describing one of the movements from "Shibashi" 18 Taiji Qigong, and one that would be especially good for stroke sufferers because it requires some balance and cross-side concentration.

The movement I'm thinking of is called "Play with the ball like a child" and it can have really profound results.

Aha - I've been clicking through Youtube videos while writing this and actually found a short clip of it.

It begins at 1:20:

A9pPqOrQ

They show it in context of Taji fighting but you don't need that goal or imagery in mind to make it effective.

As you said, the Qigong state of mind will make it work.

The "state of mind" is in the name - play with a ball like a child - like a child bouncing a ball on the pavement, passing it from one hand to the other. Be light and joyful, no worries, keep the eyes open and gazing far off over the horizon. Smile (laughing is ok, too!).

There are of course 1,000 technical points that go into making it even more effective, I can describe a few if you want (or maybe you already know them), but you'll just overwhelm the person with too much information and the playful profundity will be lost...

Edit: One detail that is probably too important not to mention is the shifting of the weight from leg to leg. Show the person how to move the center of gravity from one leg to the other. The supporting leg will be the one doing the "work", the leg that gets lifted will be the lighter one, and the central vertical axis remains vertical, and central.

If you just "step" from one foot to the other, unconsciously, you'll tend to lean the body from side to side and the raised leg will remain tense. Raise the legs out of the hip flexor/groin region and let the foot "dangle", relaxed and light in the air for that short moment. Place the foot very carefully down on the floor/ground and feel the weight shift somewhat gradually from the one leg into the other.

The transition from supported (stressed) leg to lifted (relaxed) leg should be very smooth and continuous. Practice the leg "work" for quite a while before brining the arms/hands into the game. I'd suggest just holding the hands atop one another on the lower belly at that time.

The feedback from the soles of the feet to the brain is a major component of the exercise - that's why I mentioned this especially for your situation.

Edited by soaring crane

Hi David, the exercise you are describing sounds like one that is part of the Dragon and Tiger set taught by B.K. Frantzis. It is also in his book "The Chi Revolution", which states that its purpose is to balance the chi. When I took the workshop with him a few years ago, that was my favorite exercise in the set. There is also one that looks like John Travolta getting ready to dance in Saturday Night Fever!

Edited by Dainin

I'm with Soaring Crane, When I first read it I was thinking of Tai chi chigong shibashi..

The very last movement.

Best,

Hi David, the exercise you are describing sounds like one that is part of the Dragon and Tiger set taught by B.K. Frantzis.

The BKF Blog! Great link, thank you Dainin :)

(also, I offered the above description as an effective alternative to the original request, I do realize that it isn't the same thing... )

Dainin, in that video is it the first part that you're referencing?

Soaring Crane and Baguakid, thanks. Actually the exercise I learned had arms and legs moving ipsilaterally, not contralaterally, so it's not quite the same. But, that exercise does look very therapeutic and might even be better for someone for a right-hemisphere stroke having left-sided body problems.

Also it reminds me of cross-crawling (energy healer Donna Eden mentions it).

Michael, I wouldn't mind if you posted any case studies on stroke you had ... Just curious. I'm still working to get to the point where I can take your certification program.

David

Edited by David Yeh

Actually the exercise I learned had arms and legs moving ipsilaterally, not contralaterally, so it's not quite the same. But, that exercise does look very therapeutic and might even be better for someone for a right-hemisphere stroke having left-sided body problems.

That was my thought as well and, thank you for the new word, David smile.gif

This exercise is also in the Xing Yi Nei Gong book. Page 134-137.

It is Exercise Six in the set entitled 'Empty The Foot and Lift a Single Hand'.

From the book: "The upward and downward pressing motions of the palms and the lifting of the heels flex and extend the muscles

and joints of the hands,wrists and feet. Shifting the weight from foot to foot also helps improve balance. The actions of the hands stretch the muscles down the sides of the body and the movement is also beneficial to the peristalsis and digestion."

It seems to be common in a lot of qigong/neigong sets. Good stuff.

Dainin, in that video is it the first part that you're referencing?

Hi David,

A better video is:

. You can't really see his feet in the video, but the heel rises and falls at the same time as the hand. The first part at the beginning is what I was referring to. Also the second video clip on this page demonstrates it as well, and also shows the heel motion.

BKF is supposed to have a 2 volume instructional DVD about this form coming out soon.

Edited by Dainin

Hi all,

Thanks,

David

You may want to comment on this video and ask Michael Winn what qigong he is doing at 1:48:

Sign in to follow this