Sunya

Cooking/Combining Chinese Herbs

Hey guys,

I acquired some dried Chinese herbs that were recommended to me for tonifying my Qi and drying up dampness,improving circulation, all that good stuff. I have no clue how to prepare the herbs though, I'm hoping there are some experts here who can give me some advice!

Here's what I got: Bai Zhu (white astractylode), Astragalus Root [Huang Qi], and Codonopsis Root [Dang Shen]. So what do I do? How much do I take? What do I need to prepare the herbs? Please be specific because I have i'm very new to this!

I also got Qian Shi (Fox Nuts), Yi Mi (Chinese Barley), and Shan Yao (Chinese Yam). I was recommended to take all 3 and make a soup out of them. In addition I got Goji berries, which I eat raw, and Hawthorn berries, which I make tea from. These I know how to prepare but just listing them in case there might be problems combining all of these.

Edited by mikaelz

Hey guys,

I acquired some dried Chinese herbs that were recommended to me for tonifying my Qi and drying up dampness,improving circulation, all that good stuff. I have no clue how to prepare the herbs though, I'm hoping there are some experts here who can give me some advice!

Here's what I got: Bai Zhu (white astractylode), Astragalus Root [Huang Qi], and Codonopsis Root [Dang Shen]. So what do I do? How much do I take? What do I need to prepare the herbs? Please be specific because I have i'm very new to this!

I also got Qian Shi (Fox Nuts), Yi Mi (Chinese Barley), and Shan Yao (Chinese Yam). I was recommended to take all 3 and make a soup out of them. In addition I got Goji berries, which I eat raw, and Hawthorn berries, which I make tea from. These I know how to prepare but just listing them in case there might be problems combining all of these.

Normally u get a certain amount in each packet for each day. If u don't have just grab a handful of each, boil them gently for 20 mins in enough water so that the herbs don't burn with the lid on. The less water in there the less u have to drink cos it's bound not to taste nice. Don't boil in a metal saucepan. Ceramic is good.

I hate boiling herbs. Always burn at least one dose :P

Hey guys,

the quantities of herbs to take would depend on your condition / what you are aiming to do with the herbs. but for general use, a good way to use them is to make congee with the herbs. you can easily find recipes online. simply cook 2-3 cupes of rice mixed in with the herbs in a lot of water, like 5-6 times more than you would normally cook the rice in. and let it simmer for a few hours. this will turn into a rice porridge that you can eat throughout the day. i am not an expert, probably others will have other recommendations, or will be able to give you more details about making congee. i made some with astragalus and goji berries yesterday and it was delicious!

If you are totally new to the herbs, and you want to cook with them (variety of soups of your choice) I suggest that you experiment first for taste. Take 1-3 pieces of an herb and put it in cup of very hot water (either in a tea cup or simmering on the stove in a small pot). Wait until it has soaked through, at least 1/2 hr. Then try the drink from that single herb. If you're adventurous try chewing on the soaked through herb. Then you'll get an idea of what you might want in a soup. :D

Some you might want in a soup but they are such woody roots that you won't want to actually eat them. For those, wrap them in cheese cloth (a porous fabric) and tie it off with a string, then just fish out the cheese cloth when the soup is done. For instance, huang qi.

Dang shen you could cut into 1/2" lengths and add it to the soup & eat it up with.

Approx measure of herb for soup: a very small handful. :)

Experiment, have fun.

- T.

I also got Qian Shi (Fox Nuts), Yi Mi (Chinese Barley), and Shan Yao (Chinese Yam). I was recommended to take all 3 and make a soup out of them. In addition I got Goji berries, which I eat raw, and Hawthorn berries, which I make tea from.

Guest C Yu C He Taiji

You can also grind them to a fine powder, heat up some honey in a frying pan and then mix it with the herbs. You can then form the thick honey into small pills and wrap them in wax paper.

Chrisn

Thanks everyone! I was confused but am clearer now, though I wonder about what sort of pot to use. I did find electric boilers specifically made for chinese herbs, but they're all about 60$ and i'm broke! Some sites say to use only ceramic for cooking herbs while others say that stainless steel is okay, what do you guys think?

keep it simple especially if you're broke ;)

I have a stainless steel pot so I guess i'll just have to use that! :D

Traditionally Chinese herbs are prepared by double boiling (as CowTow mentioned) or in a claypot designed for this purpose.

If you get a formula prescribed by a TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) physician, he/she will provide the right proportions to use and directions for preparation. This will vary according to the prescription. For example a certain prescription might call for cooking with three rice-bowls of water and boiling over a slow flame until the liquid is reduced to one rice-bowl's worth.

I think a stainless steel pot is OK, I use that sometimes. But a stainless steel pot will boil dry a lot quicker compared to a claypot. Always watch the stove when cooking herbs. Do not use aluminum as it is reactive. (Aluminum has been linked to certain health issues and is best avoided in cookware anyway).

Be careful with combining herbs, some are quite potent and can have contraindications with other herbs or prescription drugs. Some herbs also require abstaining from certain foods.

It's always best to check with a qualified TCM practitioner if you're not sure.

Thanks everyone! I was confused but am clearer now, though I wonder about what sort of pot to use. I did find electric boilers specifically made for chinese herbs, but they're all about 60$ and i'm broke! Some sites say to use only ceramic for cooking herbs while others say that stainless steel is okay, what do you guys think?

The traditional method is the clay pot, for hundreds of years people did not have these expensive double boilers but they look like a possible upgrade, most herbal shops sell the clay pots in chinatown not the double boilers and you can purchase a clay pot for $6 here in Boston. You can get one shipped possibly also but they crack and break in transport quite easily. Try and take the herbs to a practitioner as the ratio is very important for the herbs. Best to get a pulse diagnosis and the ratios and herbs change, sometimes only slightly, on a month to month basis as the body responds to the previous prescription.

For cooking herbs, it's best to use a clay pot. Some herbal agents will even react with stainless steel - though I forget which ones off hand. I'm pretty sure baizhu, huangqi, and danggui aren't anyhow.

These are pretty safe herbs, but just as a reminder - tonic herb don't just mean herbs that can be taken whenever for anyone. Yin/Blood tonic herbs will cause dampness in a system with inadequate digestion, or even in a healthy body if taken in large enough doses or for a long enough time. Yang/Qi tonics misused will cause pathological heat that can burn up the body's Yin reserves. We see plenty of Yin deficient middle-aged men in the clinic who drink, smoke, and then - to be more of a man, hah! - take yang tonics on top of that. When Yin is deficient, it fails to hold Yang, so bodies can seem Yang deficient that are actually Yin deficient. Prescribing Yang tonics in this situation just pushes them one step closer to the grave.

A healthy body can tolerate and adjust for misapplication, just not forever. There's a saying in Chinese "Chi yao san fen du" - eating herbs is three parts poison. In general, it's best to take a note from one of China's most important herbalists Sun Simiao. He said use food to treat illness, use herbs only when foods won't suffice.

If you're young, relatively healthy, and poor - try herbs for fun, for an experiment, for curiosity - but make food your medicine.

guys,

any clue on the cooking times for bai zhu, dang shen, and huang qi? and should I eat them with the tea or discard them?

I can't afford a double boiler, but it seems that with the sites some of you gave I should bring it to a boil and then immediately lower temp to simmer, but I'm not sure exactly how long to simmer, this site says 20-30minutes but does this apply to all herbs? I would guess that it differs depending on the herbs, no?

http://www.chineseacupunctureuk.com/how%20to%20cook%20chinese%20medicine.htm

guys,

any clue on the cooking times for bai zhu, dang shen, and huang qi? and should I eat them with the tea or discard them?

I can't afford a double boiler, but it seems that with the sites some of you gave I should bring it to a boil and then immediately lower temp to simmer, but I'm not sure exactly how long to simmer, this site says 20-30minutes but does this apply to all herbs? I would guess that it differs depending on the herbs, no?

I do not know for sure with these herbs but when I get a prescription it is 45 minutes to an hour, I would try 45 minutes and put in 3 pints of water and then it boils down to 2 pints. You then drink 1 pint in morning and 1 in the evening and save the herbs and reboil again the next day same way. It will not be as potent the 2nd day but I read it affects the chi more while the first day affects the jing more.

I do not know for sure with these herbs but when I get a prescription it is 45 minutes to an hour, I would try 45 minutes and put in 3 pints of water and then it boils down to 2 pints. You then drink 1 pint in morning and 1 in the evening and save the herbs and reboil again the next day same way. It will not be as potent the 2nd day but I read it affects the chi more while the first day affects the jing more.

thanks!

guys,

you dont need a double boiler. just dont use aluminum. stainless works fine, i use clay.

after bringing to boil, set on low to simmer, first batch at 20 min. strain after done. add slightly less water to herbs and bring to boil again, then simmer this time 30 min. strain and mix the two. then drink.

you never cook those herbs for 45 minutes and you should never burn them, if you do then there is something wrong with what you are doing.

after boiling and simmering twice then discard.

this is the traditional method i was taught in school.

a guideline to use for amount of water is enough to cover the herbs, and slightly less the second time. however, when using only three herbs you can use as little as 8-12 oz and when it done you should end up with 1 oz or slightly more. people drink it like tea when its a medicine. you will see the Chinese drink it something thats a little more than an oz and its sometimes quite thick as the boil and simmer it down to be what it is supposed to be which is medicine.

you dont need a double boiler. just dont use aluminum. stainless works fine, i use clay.

after bringing to boil, set on low to simmer, first batch at 20 min. strain after done. add slightly less water to herbs and bring to boil again, then simmer this time 30 min. strain and mix the two. then drink.

you never cook those herbs for 45 minutes and you should never burn them, if you do then there is something wrong with what you are doing.

after boiling and simmering twice then discard.

this is the traditional method i was taught in school.

a guideline to use for amount of water is enough to cover the herbs, and slightly less the second time. however, when using only three herbs you can use as little as 8-12 oz and when it done you should end up with 1 oz or slightly more. people drink it like tea when its a medicine. you will see the Chinese drink it something thats a little more than an oz and its sometimes quite thick as the boil and simmer it down to be what it is supposed to be which is medicine.

Thanks for the response!

I've been cooking them too long I guess. btw are you referring specifically to cooking Dangshen, Baizhu, and Huangqi?

I've been cooking them for 1 hour, low simmer, strain and then cook for 30 minutes. This is too long you say? What happens if I cook for too long? I haven't burned them or anything.. and the tea tastes fine.

And could you give some advice about how much to use of each? I have no way of measuring in grams. I've just been using a handful of each.

Thanks for the response!

I've been cooking them too long I guess. btw are you referring specifically to cooking Dangshen, Baizhu, and Huangqi?

I've been cooking them for 1 hour, low simmer, strain and then cook for 30 minutes. This is too long you say? What happens if I cook for too long? I haven't burned them or anything.. and the tea tastes fine.

And could you give some advice about how much to use of each? I have no way of measuring in grams. I've just been using a handful of each.

The only herbs that are generally cooked for long periods are the really hard substances and they are cooked first. then the other stuff is added. an hour is too long. 20 min first batch and 30 for the second is the general rule, however sometimes we might want to cook them 30 for the first depending on the ingredients.

the ones you are using are ok at 20 and then 30 min. if you cook too long you can destroy the properties of the herbs. for instance somethings are charred and that can make them stop bleeding etc etc. sometimes we bake them first to enhance the properties or change them. so its important to cook them the right way. enough of the volitile oils are escaping in the steam anyway so use what i am saying as a general rule.

its hard to determine what you are using (ie grade, quality, size etc). the normal dose for dang shen is between 6-9 grams. if you have long looking stalks then thats about 1 good one or one and a half.

for bai zhu its 4.5-9 grams. thats a couple pieces if they are decent sized. for huang qi the dose is between 9-15 grams so if you have the ones that look like tongue depressors (high quality) then a couple of those, maybe 3. if you have short little pieces that are cut and have what looks like a little bark on them then you might use a small handful.

now these are just the doses that we learn in school and are guidelines to use. each individual is unique and has certain issues so the dose maybeuppped or lowered. in china these doses would be higher generally. so i cant tell you how much to use other than what i have mentioned as guidelines. if you use too much huang qi for instance and you have alot of yang or liver yang rising then you may end up with a headache as it raises the qi. matter of fact they are all qi tonifiers and generally we would add other herbs to them to make a proper formula. these three are great but as a rule you need other herbs to moderate and address other issues, not just qi tonifiers.

if you have a weak immune system and get colds frequently and are fatigued then these three can help with that among other things. a good qi tonifying formula is si jun zi tang. it has ren shen, bai zhu, fu ling, zhi gan cao in it. very simple and a classic spleen qi tonifier. if you looking for lung qi then that is a different formula. all depends on the goal. hope this helps

I made this soup today and it's yummy.

Herbs in the front L->R:

- he shou wu (grind in a coffee grinder)

- dang gui (this is the "fist" part, not the "fan" part - either part will do but the fist part is pretty hard so you'll have to take it out of the pot after a while, once it's softened, and cut it up)

- shu di huang (that's actually sheng di huang in the picture, but shu di is better. Cut it up with cooking scissors)

Ox tail marinated over-night in mostly red wine with smaller portion of red vinegar. Oxtail meat is sinewy and this helps soften it as well as gets more out of the marrow. (Thanks! also to Shaktimama for mentioning the importance of vinegar.)

Put all that plus vegies of choice in a crock pot and simmer for at least several hours. Or use it as a base to add various other things to. *Yummmm* :) Good for the essence and blood. Nourishing, circulating.

B)

- Trunk

p.s.

Oh, yeah: I put miso and seaweed in there, but you could spice it up any way that you want. Added vegies of the day: yam and brussel sprouts. :D

post-19-127195788971_thumb.jpg

I made this soup today and it's yummy.

Herbs in the front L->R:

- he shou wu (grind in a coffee grinder)

- dang gui (this is the "fist" part, not the "fan" part - either part will do but the fist part is pretty hard so you'll have to take it out of the pot after a while, once it's softened, and cut it up)

- shu di huang (that's actually sheng di huang in the picture, but shu di is better. Cut it up with cooking scissors)

Ox tail marinated over-night in mostly red wine with smaller portion of red vinegar. Oxtail meat is sinewy and this helps soften it as well as gets more out of the marrow. (Thanks! also to Shaktimama for mentioning the importance of vinegar.)

Put all that plus vegies of choice in a crock pot and simmer for at least several hours. Or use it as a base to add various other things to. *Yummmm* :) Good for the essence and blood. Nourishing, circulating.

B)

- Trunk

p.s.

Oh, yeah: I put miso and seaweed in there, but you could spice it up any way that you want. Added vegies of the day: yam and brussel sprouts. :D

mm I'll have to give it a try. You got all those ingredients at a local chinese market?

You got all those ingredients at a local chinese market?

The herbs I got at a local Chinese herb store. :)

Oxtail, red vinegar from Ch.market,

cheap red wine from Trader Joe's.

^_^