Sunya

Review of Jenny Lamb's Yi Gong Seminar

Hi Guys. I been to both seminars. And I was really curious about the right hand higher or lower question myself. I was afraid to ask Sifu Jenny. To me, Max's right hand at the throat was more relaxing. Jenny's right hand the the heart was good too but need to relax the mind more so it will be more comfortable. I like the explanation about the heart chakra and the throat chakra. That would make sense too. I am not familiar with all that..

Another thing no one mention is the visualization after YiGong that Sifu Jenny taught. I knew about it but never thought to use it that way. It was mind blowing.

I glad that I went to both.

Hi Guys. I been to both seminars. And I was really curious about the right hand higher or lower question myself. I was afraid to ask Sifu Jenny. To me, Max's right hand at the throat was more relaxing. Jenny's right hand the the heart was good too but need to relax the mind more so it will be more comfortable. I like the explanation about the heart chakra and the throat chakra. That would make sense too. I am not familiar with all that..

Another thing no one mention is the visualization after YiGong that Sifu Jenny taught. I knew about it but never thought to use it that way. It was mind blowing.

I glad that I went to both.

I think froma Daoist alchemical perspective, Jenny's makes more sense: the heart/middle dan t'ien is the fire/kan, while the kidney/lower dan t'ien is the water/li, and the hands cause them to meet and create the "steam" that nourishes the body and upper dan t'ien (thereby helping to increase one's consciousness).

So far as I'm aware, Daoist practices don't focus on the throat. The throat seems to be more important in those systems that revolve around, or are influenced by, the Indian/Tantric chakra system.

I don't think it's that important.

I was taught to have my hand just above the heart and under the throat.

Interesting. Does your body tremble/vibrate with the energy?

I've had it happen that the movements go totally internal - and I just vibrate almost invisibly - get very hot and sweat a lot... but then it's moved back to intricate spirals and circles for me recently.

My experience is the same. I did sense from the past discussion on here that some people seem fixated with the "thrashing about" side of the practice, and disappointed when they didn't get that.

I get a fair amount of thrashing about at first, but it seems to me that the biggest energetic "shifts" happen when the body stops moving and the qi movements become internal and more subtle.

I'm far more entranced by the internal movements than I am with the thrashing around, since it results in a very distinct change in consciousness.

Edited by altiora

She said it (celestial eye) will open naturally, everything opens naturally; it doesn't really matter when and if the celestial eye opens because it doesn't help with enlightenment; so focusing on opening the third eye is a desire that should be dropped. If you open it too soon then it can become a hindrance, distraction, and even a danger to those unprepared.

Glad to see another Teacher saying this. I have been saying it for many years. Most folks wish to believe otherwise.

So just curious, you don't get any kriyas anymore.. but what about internally? anything going on? interesting that things stopped for you. maybe you are proceeding to a further level. Extreme yang proceeds to extreme yin (movement to stillness)
Yea, I am (I believe) feeling more stuff internally now. Although, it's hard to say for sure and maybe I'm just doing something wrong! :lol:

I was able to get a little vibration in my legs again today, but only after pumping in a lott of energy..

It would be good to practice in a group again just to see if anything different happens?

I was taught to have my hand just above the heart and under the throat.

Interesting. Does your body tremble/vibrate with the energy?

I've had it happen that the movements go totally internal - and I just vibrate almost invisibly - get very hot and sweat a lot... but then it's moved back to intricate spirals and circles for me recently.

I wonder if perhaps Max moved the right hand up to include the throat, but let it dangle down so that it still covered the heart?

I have a hypothesis right now that big jerky (as possibly opposed to smooth, dancelike) kriyas are due to large (often organ-based or gross bodily) blockages obstructing energy flow and vibrations are due to "sputtering" from smaller meridian blockages. Whereas heat radiating out without any motions may be a sign of clear energy flow. Has anyone noticed if emanating heat and thrashing kriyas/vibration seem to be inversely-proportional? IOW, the more movement, the less heat & vice-versa?

For example, I can feel heat pouring out of my left laogong, completely motionlessly. But my right hand will vibrate and only a thin layer of heat radiates around my hand when running energy. So, my guess is that my right laogong is still closed - thus "sputtering" and not radiating much heat?

Edited by vortex

Regarding the 'floppy palm', Max made this modification to keep the energy flow more internal rather than going out the hands and fingers.

Max also taught that the bliss is a trap and encourages cultivating emptiness. The excitement and phenomenon can help to open people up and purify - then they can discover the practice within the practice. That has been my experience - it would be nice to see Jenny sometime too.

Does Sifu Jenny's method put emphasis on a 20 minuite post meditation?

Also, what were her views on practicing Kunlun with other practices?

Edited by Bum Grasshopper

So glad that Jenny is finally getting credit for her practice.

Pity that a certain someone didn't credit her in his book.

Does Sifu Jenny's method put emphasis on a 20 minuite post meditation?

Also, what were her views on practicing Kunlun with other practices?

+1

I wish the modest and powerful masters would get a bit more flashy, or market better. Kunlun/yigong is great in that it is simple and powerful.

How are we supposed to find the great practices?

I love the down to earth and simple straight forward manner of Jenny. Less fantastical, and more realistic. While dissapointing, I find most things are that way once you let go of your want for it to be amazing/complicated/etc.

I wish the modest and powerful masters would get a bit more flashy, or market better. Kunlun/yigong is great in that it is simple and powerful.

How are we supposed to find the great practices?

I

I pray that never happens. nothing reeks of debasement of spiritual traditions than the current crop of "flashy" advertisers -- the ones who rake in the money simply by "branding" a particular technique. It's not the responsibility of the teacher to advertise for pupils. All traditions are united on the point that it is for the pupil to come to the teacher, and to come with the correct and steady intention to study and learn.

The simple truth is that the overwhelming amount of people who get enthused about particular styles as a result of advertising methods are fickle-minded, flakey and egoistic. Most just look for thrills, get bored and move on; others just add it to their collection of pretty, exotic trinkets, perhaps make a DVD or two to sell to others.

No reputable teacher would care to waste his or her time on such persons. Harsh but true.

I wouldn't trust a teacher with such a flashy website!

:lol:

I know you're joking, but I don't find her website flashy at all, just well made.

ROFLMAF good one Harry.

Excellent Q&A section. TTB got mentioned a fair bit :unsure: we must be a bit like this lot.

5c80236370b60d6f4e8345e9e57ce50f.jpg

All this debate about what approach is best for a teacher.

I'd say, when a teacher doesn't want to be found, he won't. The degree of advertising depends on many factors. If a powerful authentic master advertises massively, this can help/enable seekers to find their master. If the master doesn't want so many 'unworthy' people, he will also exclude some worthy ones. Personally, I find it better when the master has a sense for making this distinction. Of course, trouble will ensue with a very open approach. There is no best way.

Also, people genuinely devoted to authentic practices might despair. Imagine on the other hand good teachers doing the same kind of advertising as insincere or mostly unable self-proclaimed teachers. Then you would have the whole pallette before you and people would probably (out of necessity) develop a better sense for telling them apart.

I think you should not follow general guidelines without considering the existence of exceptions. Then, guidelines are not instructions, but merely suggestions to raise your perceptiveness and understanding.

I pray that never happens. nothing reeks of debasement of spiritual traditions than the current crop of "flashy" advertisers -- the ones who rake in the money simply by "branding" a particular technique. It's not the responsibility of the teacher to advertise for pupils. All traditions are united on the point that it is for the pupil to come to the teacher, and to come with the correct and steady intention to study and learn.

The simple truth is that the overwhelming amount of people who get enthused about particular styles as a result of advertising methods are fickle-minded, flakey and egoistic. Most just look for thrills, get bored and move on; others just add it to their collection of pretty, exotic trinkets, perhaps make a DVD or two to sell to others.

No reputable teacher would care to waste his or her time on such persons. Harsh but true.

People change.

I initially got into meditation, so I could clean up my mind, so I could get women. Now I'm into meditation, because I enjoy it and it is damn cool. I'm actively passionate about spiritual development.

It doesn't need to be flashy, but attention getting. If somebody told me to just hold the kunlun position, I'd be like... meh. But in experiencing bliss, I'm immensely intrigued, and have been practicing it regularly for a year.

High level masters tend to be walking advertisements anyway.

It may be true that some are fickle minded, but some aren't.

Does it really matter if the website/marketing is flashy, if it causes thousands of people to become happier and healthier?

Does it really need to be plain, modest and simple, so that you can feel good/superior/whatever or so it fits into your student/teacher paradigm?

People change.

I initially got into meditation, so I could clean up my mind, so I could get women. Now I'm into meditation, because I enjoy it and it is damn cool. I'm actively passionate about spiritual development.

It doesn't need to be flashy, but attention getting. If somebody told me to just hold the kunlun position, I'd be like... meh. But in experiencing bliss, I'm immensely intrigued, and have been practicing it regularly for a year.

High level masters tend to be walking advertisements anyway.

It may be true that some are fickle minded, but some aren't.

Does it really matter if the website/marketing is flashy, if it causes thousands of people to become happier and healthier?

Does it really need to be plain, modest and simple, so that you can feel good/superior/whatever or so it fits into your student/teacher paradigm?

Actually, there are times I wish people would read and place in the context of what was being discussed, instead of this pseudo-intellectual clap trap with it's "paradigm" this and "paradigm" that. My point was explicitly related to Kunlun, and how I pray Jenny never becomes like that certain other peddler of dubious wares.

And with respect to your last sentence, you don't know me, so don't presume anything about what I think.

I have very little time for petty oneupmanship.

Having said that, not every paradigm is necessarily a useful one. One may firmly and fairly believe that eating fatty food will make you skinny, or that jumping off a really high mountain will cause you to fly.

Warm water can freeze quicker than cold water.

Is Kunlun system just new made up of various practices?I find on the forum that it is actualy Yi Gong plus some other additions.

From which system come Red Phoenix?Is it related to Flying Phoenix Qi Gong?

I didnt find that Shang Qing Pai and its later branch Mao Shan Pai have even something similar.Shang Qing have proto Nei Dan system of inner work but it is totaly diferent .

To bring from one school just one method and technique and to teach only this and not complete cant give much resulats and can be dangerous.

Ormus

Kunlun is one of the best practice I tried and effects are generally neidan'ish. I luckly studied with Max personally and even if kunlun is not neidan is still most powerful qigong powers I experienced. 

Edited by SeekerOfHealing
  • Like 1

Is Kunlun system just new made up of various practices?I find on the forum that it is actualy Yi Gong plus some other additions.

I think so.  Yet that is to some extent what I like about it.  Very, very simple.  One main practice, 2 or 3 additional.  No philosophy, no guru, mostly just hit the position, let 'it' happen.  It can be powerful and with power comes danger but it is stressed to sit quietly digest after practice. 

As I get older, I'm appreciating the old time martial art classes more and more.  The shut up, do this variety.  No explanation; focus, do.  Too often I see people stuck in low level scholar mode spending more time arguing and discussing dusty old books then shutting up, focusing and doing. 

• Like 7