Sign in to follow this  
tyler zambori

People just act meaner on-line

Put them behind a screen, and they just act meaner, plain and simple.

Doesn't matter what the subject is, they just act meaner than in real life.

I've seen it, from forum to forum.

I will suggest that this should not be considered a universal statement because there are some people who do not fall into this category.

However, it is a valid generalization.

An example of this that I saw in real life was when I was stationed in Italy. Italians are really wonderful people, in the most part. Italian men are sometimes so nice that it caused me a little alarm. Hehehe. But put an Italian man behind the wheel of an automobile and he becomes a real crazy dude.

Peace & Love!

Edited by Marblehead

Thanks RyanO, I didn't know somebody's done actual studies about it, but

it makes sense.

@marblehead, that;s funny, I guess a windshield or car on a truck is most certainly

a kind of screen too, a fore-runner to the internet. It's slightly more contained

and anonymous than encountering someone face to face on the street.

So maybe one day when we are all riding around in transparent bubbles instead

of vehicles, that phenomenon will be done away with.

For the internet, I dunno, maybe they would have to have instant teleconferencing bubble-quads instead of screens.

Thanks RyanO, I didn't know somebody's done actual studies about it, but

it makes sense.

@marblehead, that;s funny, I guess a windshield or car on a truck is most certainly

a kind of screen too, a fore-runner to the internet. It's slightly more contained

and anonymous than encountering someone face to face on the street.

So maybe one day when we are all riding around in transparent bubbles instead

of vehicles, that phenomenon will be done away with.

For the internet, I dunno, maybe they would have to have instant teleconferencing bubble-quads instead of screens.

I was thinking about this thread earlier and Matt came to my mind. Now let's face it, if Matt were any nicer I would think he was some kind of saint that had come down to earth from heaven.

There are others here as well but I won't mention their names as I don't want to embarrass them. Matt can handle the compliment. Hehehe.

Yeah, what you spoke of above is what the hippies used to talk about when they called people 'plastic'.

Peace & Love!

That makes sense. lol. Its especially hard as a female playing online gaming. Not fun going against the groups that just want to be mean. Ah well, I fun anyways. You kinda just understand and let it go but there are bad days. The forums I've been on haven't been that bad though.

Guest paul walter

Put them behind a screen, and they just act meaner, plain and simple.

Doesn't matter what the subject is, they just act meaner than in real life.

I've seen it, from forum to forum.

A clarifiction: people act nicer in real life. On the net they show their 'real' self cause of the alienation/filtering/distancing thing. So people are more 'real' on the net cause it is a forum where they can get away with it-like with artists saying what they want to say in art cause there is no allowance for freedom of action or speech in the real world so they package it for general consumption. Problem with words and opinions is they are less ambiguous-especially in the hands of a testosterone fuelled martial arts bod. So if you want to pretend people are nice,globalised perhaps, because of this alienating device called the internet then go ahead. I find the interaction between people on this forum mostly a mix between venting from being misunderstood and having to lie all the time about their true feelings cause of etiquette and the expectations (repression) of internet group guidelines. Ideally everyone would do the work on themselves before they post but that isn't going to ever happen-like in the 'real' world. Soin the end I suppose it's better to have aggression expressed on a forum rather than in front of you? Paul.

Sign in to follow this