yichuan

Master cheuk Fung on Yi Chuan Training and Cultivation

We recently completed an update to yichuankungfu.com that includes a detailed interview with Master Cheuk Fung and new video clips demonstrating hunyuan or internal strength training exercises.

Interview

Gallery

Here is a clip where Master Fung is demonstrating the characteristics of hunyuan strength.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Some of my teacher's thoughts on energy and energy cultivation from a 2009 interview:

Student: How does Yi relate to Chi?

Master Fung: Chi means energy. Intent and energy are directly related.

Student: I've spoken with several people who don't believe in Chi. I never know what to say, any suggestions?

Master Fung: Ask them what they don't believe in.

Student: I don't understand.

Master Fung: Ask them what they mean by Chi. If they don't believe in it, chances are they misunderstand what is meant by Chi.

Student: O.K....So Chi is energy, what energy?

Master Fung: Chi is what manifests in response to Yi. The Chinese concept touches on several western ideas so it can be a little confusing at first. Let's use driving and making a left hand turn as an example again. The Yi is to go left. That intention creates countless electro-chemical signals that trigger electro-chemical reactions in the muscles that simultaneously work the wheel, turn signal, gas, brake etc. The Chi is the coordinated and concentrated electro-chemical energy that converts into Li or physical strength in the body.

Student: So people who don't believe in Chi simply have a misunderstanding of what Chi is?

Master Fung: Pretty much, Chi is a very 'loaded' word...it means different things to different people. Don't worry about believing or disbelieving in Chi or this or that definition of Chi. Chi is just a concept, just a word used to represent the energy that is actually there. Like I just told you, in Yi Chuan we are studying how the Yi and Chi create the Li or mechanical force. From a western perspective you could say it's like that conservation thing....remember we talked about it the other day.

Student: Conservation of energy, that energy can never be created or destroyed, only transformed?

Master Fung: Yes, that's the one. A human being of course follows this principal. In Chinese concepts we say from Shen to Yi to Chi to Li. In western concepts this means we are studying how the intent directs the potential human energy to transform into the bio-electric nervous system energy and finally into mechanical energy in the muscles. You see? Anything a human being does is a result of this energy transformation process, regardless of how you name the steps or what you call the parts. All the debate over whether Chi is real or not is the talk of amateurs, don't even bother with it. Just remember we are studying energy by working with it directly through our practice.

Student: I see...so in Yi Chuan the Yi is a key component because it directs everything else that happens, right?

Master Fung: Yes. Strong Yi transforms into strong Chi which transforms into strong Li or strong intent creates strong energy which transforms into powerful strength. If you understand what I am saying then you can see how a relatively weak person can perform amazing feats of strength given to right circumstance and motivation.

Student: This is starting to make sense to me. However, in some ways it seems overwhelming to try and train all these things. How do I find the time?

Master Fung: By addressing each of them at the same time, remember the 3 in 1 idea? 3 in 1 means we are exercising the body, developing its energy and practicing martial arts at the same time. Don't develop strength at the expense of energy or energy at the expense of self defense. Develop your practice in a balanced manner with each element in mind and you will simply get more out of each hour of practice. Also, keep in mind the idea of casual strength training. In class we practice casual strength in a formal manner. Outside of class you should learn to practice casual strength in a causal manner. Build up the habit of linking into Jam Jong in whatever circumstance your in. This way you can practice wherever you are and speed the process of making Hunyuan strength habitual.

Student: No offense, but busting out the Jam Jong while I'm at the office or waiting in line at the grocery store doesn't sound to appealing, you mean while in private, right?

Master Fung: I really have to spell everything out for you......practice anywhere! Nobody should know your doing anything different, be causal, act normal but still have the Jam Jong. Remember, this is a fighting art. We don't broadcast when we are going to hit people. The flower is hidden under the leaf.

http://www.yichuankungfu.com/cheuk-fung/energy/

Man, this guy's understanding and explanations of core IMA phenomena (on the left index of his site) are the best I've ever read yet. I'd like to know what his actual training method is (that he does himself, not just his class curriculum)? Just tons of jam jong (zhan zhuang)?

Anybody here this dude's student?

Man, this guy's understanding and explanations of core IMA phenomena (on the left index of his site) are the best I've ever read yet. I'd like to know what his actual training method is (that he does himself, not just his class curriculum)? Just tons of jam jong (zhan zhuang)?

Anybody here this dude's student?

I am the "Student" from the exchange posted above. -Steve

Hello Steve,

Thanks for posting this, very interesting info - How long does Master Fung recommend training per day? Does he see any partial benefit if the student can only do a fraction of this time (20 min instead of 1-2hours)?

Cheers,

Rene'

Hello there!

I am fascinated by this Yi Chuan.

Currently I would love to set up a seminar for the Master here in Boulder. I have been "about" to call a couple of times, but my schedule is not letting me do so. Then this popped up in perfect synchronicity.

I teach at the acupuncture college and have loads of martial connections in this town as I challenged all of the internal artists to push hands when I first moved here in '04. Now I have made many friends!!!

Very easy for me to advertise with the internal crew as well as the cultivators and acu students.

Please speak with your teacher and see if he is open to it.

Follow my signature for my contact info.

Thanks!

Stephen

In my experience Master Fung recommends a balanced approach to Yi Chuan and Chi Gung training. Over practice or over practice of certain exercises can be as much of a problem as under practice. Further, he emphasizes casualness as a goal in training. When the Hunyuan 'state' can be activated anywhere practice time folds back into the everyday pattern of life instead of always being in conflict with it.

Below are a couple of exchanges from the interview that may be helpful in understanding his perspective.

On the question of workshops or seminars...he typically does not do them. If you want to try and talk him into one his contact information is available on yichuankungfu.com.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Student: So, more than anything else we should practice the 8 postures?

Master Fung: no. No. NO.........Jam Jong is not a posture or 8 postures or 1000 postures. It's a state. Like in a race...they say "ready, set, go!" Jam Jong is the 'set'. What is learned in the 8 basic postures must eventually be achievable from any position, whether standing, sitting or lying down. Jam Jong is the body united into a single unit and the mind ready for action - connected but relaxed, alert but calm and ready but uncommitted. The eight postures are basic tools to activate and develop Hunyuan strength. The idea is to allow what you learn from them to be available to you at any time without having to think.

Student: Is that what you mean by 'making it casual'?

Master Fung: Yes. If you have to go through a complicated procedure to activate your Hunyuan strength it really is not going to be of much use to you in a fight. Remember how you would always regress to your old training when you first started partner practice?

Student: Yes, I had practiced until that stuff was second nature....it was hard not to fall back on it.

Master Fung: Now you need to practice until Hunyuan strength is what you fall back on, Hunyuan strength should become your natural reaction. Until then....while you may know some Kung Fu, you don't really 'have it'.

Student: This is starting to make sense to me. However, in some ways it seems overwhelming to try and train all these things. How do I find the time?

Master Fung: By addressing each of them at the same time, remember the 3 in 1 idea? 3 in 1 means we are exercising the body, developing its energy and practicing martial arts at the same time. Don't develop strength at the expense of energy or energy at the expense of self defense. Develop your practice in a balanced manner with each element in mind and you will simply get more out of each hour of practice. Also, keep in mind the idea of casual strength training. In class we practice casual strength in a formal manner. Outside of class you should learn to practice casual strength in a causal manner. Build up the habit of linking into Jam Jong in whatever circumstance your in. This way you can practice wherever you are and speed the process of making Hunyuan strength habitual.

Student: No offense, but busting out the Jam Jong while I'm at the office or waiting in line at the grocery store doesn't sound to appealing, you mean while in private, right?

Master Fung: I really have to spell everything out for you......practice anywhere! Nobody should know your doing anything different, be causal, act normal but still have the Jam Jong. Remember, this is a fighting art. We don't broadcast when we are going to hit people. The flower is hidden under the leaf.

...Jam Jong is not a posture...

...Jam Jong is the body united into a single unit and the mind ready for action...

Nice!!