Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Refuge in the waste land

I was just watching the Discovery Channel. A show called "Going Tribal". In this episode the guide joined an African tribe, stayed with them for a month and was initiated into there drug induced rite of manhood. Very interesting, very shamanic. Heavy native drug use, ceremonies, rebirth.

Most cultures have manhood initiations we are sadly lacking. Too bad. I have 2 sons, 8 and 6, I'd hate for there definative moment to be 'rescuing the princess' and getting a 50,000 bonus points in some video game.

I also saw some of Survivorman show. Dropping a survival expert alone in an exteme wilderness settings for 7 days. Last show I learned the proper way to eat grasshoppers. Tear off there heads, kabob'em and cook them a bit in case they have ring worm.

It really reminds me how very very very decadent and coddled I am. I have recently bought the ISqueeze which luxuriously squeezes and massages my tootsies. Yesterday I bought the Sunbeam matress warmer. It warms the bed for you, it even has dual controls for his and her heat control 1 to 20. My bedroom is freezing at nite so it is quite the luxury.

Food wise, just having a full fridge, packed w/ goodies from around the world, fruits and veggies in and out of season. Running water, lights, my own moat w/ crocodiles.

Nice, but luxuries dull the senses. To taste the sweetest nectar requires sorest need. I'm glad I had a couple of chances to semi rough it, camping w/ the boy scouts last summer. Ya da yada

Michael

Nice, but luxuries dull the senses. To taste the sweetest nectar requires sorest need.

We stoped being conscious of what we are doing. If we can give all our live being to just one task we are doing, an ordinary world turns into a magical place, and a simple bread and water into a luxury.

Edited by Smile

I think life is at its best when we can traipse between water and wine. White bread and artisan loaves. I'll leave ascetiscism for the monks. Even they make can make and enjoy a mean beer.

Michael

Sign in to follow this