sirius

trees & the five elements

hi!

maybe some taobums can help me: which (european) trees are connected with the chinese metal element, with the air element and with the earth element? if you think that i should find it out by myself - like a chinese teacher probably would do - then please describe me a "do it yourself" method. thank you!

blessed be!

sirius

Metal = Peach trees. There are others but you need to observe them and read their energy. I left Europe long ago so I wouldn't be able to tell you, sorry.

Been reading "Opening the Dragon's Gate", by any chance :P

Anyway, on topic...

then please describe me a "do it yourself" method. thank you!

First learn to distinguish between the different energies within yourself. This can be done with meditation, introspection, understanding the elements, where they occur in the body, the emotions they are associated with, the organs they are associated with, etc etc.

Then practice feeling various energies in other things- people, places, animals, plants, etc etc. Then learn to distinguish between the different elements within those other things, then find something that is most representative of the element you want at that time.

Or find a Chinese teacher to tell you!

In either case, both will be a long process. With the former you have to train yourself, and with the latter you have to gain the trust of the teacher to impart these secrets on to you.

Good luck! :)

First learn to distinguish between the different energies within yourself. This can be done with meditation, introspection, understanding the elements, where they occur in the body, the emotions they are associated with, the organs they are associated with, etc etc.

for example:

pine -> green

apple tree, plane -> red

willow -> yellow, brown

cottonwood -> white

cypress -> dark blue, black

green = wood

red = fire

yellow = earth

white = metall

black = water

chi corresponding organ

green -> liver / gallbladder

red -> heart / small intestine

yellow -> spleen / stomach

white -> lungs / large intestine

black -> kidneys / blatter

hi!

thank you durkhrod chogori for your quick reply!

thank you sloppy zhang for your advice! yes, i will ask my chinese teacher, too.

thank you kronos for the information and the many details!

blessed be!

sirius

hi!

i asked an european chi kung teacher about the metal element and the related european tree. he said it`s the beech tree. maybe this can be interesting for other tao bums.

blessed be

sirius

hi!

i asked an european chi kung teacher about the metal element and the related european tree. he said it`s the beech tree. maybe this can be interesting for other tao bums.

blessed be

sirius

White bark. Obvious.

Although I am skeptical about this simplistic association of colors with elements and their according effects. Maybe there are fundamentals that I don't understand (because usually they're not explained). But do you say that lying in a field among white roses is more healthy [EDIT: for your lungs] than among red roses?

Edited by Hardyg

hi hardyg!

to find out about the relations will be difficult as long as i just use the usual ways of logical thinking.

i have to leave this path if i want to find true answers. i think i`ll try other methods - like sloppy zhang suggested.

blessed be!

sirius

Well, if I understand it correctly, buddhahood involves a powerful heart AND mind, and if there is something that should be withing the realm of being explained with words, and it isn't, then maybe this is an unbalanced path.

What I am considering here is the possibility that, at least in some cases, cause and effect are confused. Or maybe it's all a matter of definition, but nobody seems to be able to say. Do white things help your lungs because of a kind of universal law, or because of your association with clouds and sky, getting yourself in the right mindset to breathe healthily? Then, it could be subjective, and other people could have different associations that help them ... unless they put belief in the reports of associations of other people. That would be a self-fulfilling thing.

hi!

here`s my list of (european) trees and the related elements:

metal element: beech tree

water element: willow tree

wood element: pine tree

fire element: oak tree

earth element: yew tree

what do you think about it?

blessed be!

sirius

hardyg,

you wrote down some interesting thoughts. - but i would be a fool to have a philosophical debate with someone who uses pallas athenas owl as his symbol here in the forum! lol! -

maybe the trees would laugh as well - if they could - about the limited human attempts to find out something about nature...they have so much more time than we have...much more patience...much more energy...

so what can i do except of sitting under a tree for the rest of my life and listen to the murmur of the leaves...