Connor09

Saving up for a 1995 Jeep Cherokee.

Hello, i'm saving up for my first car. My exact situation will be explained on this link(http://getacar.chipin.com/1995-jeep-cherokee)

Anyway, i'm looking at a 5K jeep. I have 2k saved up but some things have come up and i'm having some financial problems. Please just take a look at the website. You can make a direct donation there.

Anyone who donates, I would love for you to email me so I can give you a personal thank you.

You're going to pay $5,000 for a 15 year old car??! And you're 16 years old? Son, you need some guidance. You do not need a $5K vehicle that's likely to need major maintenance and repairs. When I was in school, I drove a $500 beater 'landshark' that kicked it when I was done with it, and I just moved on. I strongly urge you not to get this vehicle!! Take $1000 of your $2,000 and get some transportation, you also have to consider gas, insurance, etc. Forget that Jeep.

RULE NUMBER ONE IN BUYING A USED VEHICLE: NEVER, EVER GET EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED TO A VEHICLE THAT YOU ARE CONSIDERING BUYING...YOU WILL MAKE FOOLISH DECISIONS AND YOU WILL START BLEEDING MONEY.

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

RULE NUMBER ONE IN BUYING A USED VEHICLE: NEVER, EVER GET EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED TO A VEHICLE THAT YOU ARE CONSIDERING BUYING...YOU WILL MAKE FOOLISH DECISIONS AND YOU WILL START BLEEDING MONEY.

Spoken like someone who doesn't own an Italian motorbike :lol: They are worth every penny :D Still it's good advice..... but who didn't fall in love their first car?

I'm not a big car aficionado so I'd go for something Japanese. Our current car is an old Mazda and cost us $250 quite a bit less than my Moto Guzzi :) but I don't buy Japanese bikes anymore, even though they are extremely reliable with excellent performance. I use to buy them because I couldn't afford the exotic things when I was young ;)

Perhaps.

RD83.jpg

Good luck with the fund raising.

SoDE is 100% right. You already have plenty to buy transportation and take care of a significant chunk of your insurance for the year. What's up with a 95 cherokee anyway? If you're looking at something like that it shouldnt cost more than $1000 unless it has some serious after market parts in it...in which case it would probably be more of an off roading machine anyway and will require more maintenance than normal and be absolutely terrible on gas.

My younger bro has a jeep, and when someone asked him how he liked it because they were thinking of getting one, he said - dont even think about buying a jeep unless you're some sort of mechanic. I am :D

Go buy a beater!

I have a '93 Cherokee and I love the old rat. I have explored mountain trails, hauled my dogs to the dog park and towed other car projects home with it for years. It's a great package for what it is. Just big enough to be a hauler but not quite as big as a full sized pickup. But then again, I am a fairly good backyard mechanic.

I don't know where you get the 5K price. They haven't built these in years and I see dozens of them on Craigslist for less than $1,000 every day. One that needs work should go for about $500. Several Jeep magazines have articles about building a budget off roader using a used Cherokee. Gas mileage is about 15 to 17. Not the greatest but not as bad as the bigger trucks. They did make two wheel drive versions so if you don't need to go off pavement, that would be a lighter option with a little better gas mileage. They aren't as reliable as a small Japanese car but parts are cheap at the Local Auto Zone.

Find the best one you can for around $1,000 and consider taking an auto repair class at the local Community College so you can learn to keep the old jeep running. Any car that old is going to need work.

Spoken like someone who doesn't own an Italian motorbike :lol:

Maybe like someone who once owned one. :lol:

RD83.jpg

Recently I've read a pamphlet by a consultant/author/psychologist where he described the marketing history and strategy of Jeep. He gave them the valuable advice that the headlights had to be and to always be round. Really benefitted the rest of the artificial, fake, illusionary psycho-trickery called "product image". ;):lol:

SUPPLEMENT: It was the small document "Know the Codes - Why We Act, Buy, and Love as We Do" by Clotaire Rapaille. It can be found on the WWW and I highly recommend it, partly in the context of this being a spiritual forum.

Connor09, it might be interesting to read especially for you, since you are interested in a Jeep. It could also make many future consumer-related decisions much easier by removing 'emotional ballast'.

Thus, the translation for "It's a Jeep thing - you wouldn't understand." is "It's a marketing thing - you aren't supposed to understand."

Edited by Hardyg