mindspring

Are there differences between the various qigong practices and how do I choose the right one for me?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to take up qigong but I'm not sure where to start amongst all the different qigong styles and systems available.

I might not have gotten this right, but it seems to me that most qigong styles tend to be categorised as medical/healing qigong, martial arts qigong, or qigong for spiritual development.

I was wondering if these are differences between the different practices? For instance I know that some martial arts qigong can be used for healing purposes as well, but would studying a healing-focused qigong be useful in martial arts?

Then there is the question of which practice/teacher to follow, which is confusing for me. Some teachers seem to have a better reputation than others. I've read claims that certain well-known qigong teachers/authors are not teaching the right methods, don't have the knowledge they claim to have, etc.

Other teachers openly refuse to teach Westerners (no problem for me since I'm Asian), or homosexuals (a problem for me since I'm gay), or whoever else their school refuses to accept as a student.

Meanwhile I've also seen claims that certain practices are unorthodox, or harmful to one's health, or leave the practitioner vulnerable to spirit possession, etc.

It all like a martial arts movie where everyone is claiming that their own school/system is the best.

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Yeah it's a confusing sea of contradictions to start with.

The most important thing to know is - What do you really want?

Yes there are martial, health and spiritual qigong systems, but they all overlap at a certain point.

Find out what you would like most and then get to know some people that want the same thing and are further along the path of getting it - simple as that.

If you don't really know what you want - just say so and then you'll be offered some suggestions... there are even some teachers that visit this forum.

If we don't know what inspires you to do qigong and how much time and effort you want to invest in it, then there are just too many possibilities, so you won't receive many recommendations.

would studying a healing-focused qigong be useful in martial arts?

I definitely think so, as long as you keep it in perspective. If you're a martial artist, you shouldn't skimp on your physical training just to practice qigong. It's an addition to your training.

Which may be too much for someone to practice...

I think you pretty much can't go wrong with dantien breathing. It accomplishes all aspects. Everyone should do it, and I should do more of it. :blush:

I would encourage you to get very clear about the difference between chi kung and nei kung, and jump right in with nei kung first. www.neikungla.com and www.chutaichi.com

Nei kung is about using your mind to control chi flow, and although that sounds mysterious and advanced, it can be acquired easily with steady and consistent

practice.

The following posture is the most important for everyone.

All the proper breathing techniques will fall into place once this static posture becomes more refined.

Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Nei-Kung-C-Chu/dp/0961658606/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266419655&sr=1-1

I would encourage you to get very clear about the difference between chi kung and nei kung, and jump right in with nei kung first. www.neikungla.com and www.chutaichi.com

Nei kung is about using your mind to control chi flow, and although that sounds mysterious and advanced, it can be acquired easily with steady and consistent

practice.

The following posture is the most important for everyone.

All the proper breathing techniques will fall into place once this static posture becomes more refined.

Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Nei-Kung-C-Chu/dp/0961658606/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266419655&sr=1-1

I'm getting that book!

You are more likely to find good qigong in a "internal" martial art than somewhere that just teaches qigong alone.

Why is that? I'm really curious.

I'm trying some taichi next to see how I do with it.

You are more likely to find good qigong in a "internal" martial art than somewhere that just teaches qigong alone.

Wrong, you are not even close.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to take up qigong but I'm not sure where to start amongst all the different qigong styles and systems available.

I might not have gotten this right, but it seems to me that most qigong styles tend to be categorised as medical/healing qigong, martial arts qigong, or qigong for spiritual development.

I was wondering if these are differences between the different practices? For instance I know that some martial arts qigong can be used for healing purposes as well, but would studying a healing-focused qigong be useful in martial arts?

Then there is the question of which practice/teacher to follow, which is confusing for me. Some teachers seem to have a better reputation than others. I've read claims that certain well-known qigong teachers/authors are not teaching the right methods, don't have the knowledge they claim to have, etc.

Other teachers openly refuse to teach Westerners (no problem for me since I'm Asian), or homosexuals (a problem for me since I'm gay), or whoever else their school refuses to accept as a student.

Meanwhile I've also seen claims that certain practices are unorthodox, or harmful to one's health, or leave the practitioner vulnerable to spirit possession, etc.

It all like a martial arts movie where everyone is claiming that their own school/system is the best.

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

All qigong's are the same. Get a book, practice from it and be a master in 3 days.

NOT

You may try the NQA.org site, look for teachers.

Edited by Ya Mu

IMO, the key to all of these is filling your centers, opening all your channels and transmuting your energy.

In traditional neidan, this starts with filling your lower dantian until it overflows and opens your 8 extraordinary channels (including microcosmic orbit & kundalini awakening) and they then overflow and open your 12 meridians (macrocosmic orbit).

If you attain that much, then healing and martial arts will become relatively simple applications at that point. If you haven't, then they will be much harder to make work and less effective (moreso IMA).

For example, I personally don't think that "working backwards" by repeating IMA kata is going to open your energy body very efficiently. That's why many IMAs can't beat external stylists even after decades of practice. All form, no gong = "useless". Might as well rely upon an external style at this undeveloped stage...

BTW, neidan traditionally also requires a lot of sexual restraint (basically celibacy).

Edited by vortex

IMO, the key to all of these is filling your centers, opening all your channels and transmuting your energy.

In traditional neidan, this starts with filling your lower dantian until it overflows and opens your 8 extraordinary channels (including microcosmic orbit & kundalini awakening) and they then overflow and open your 12 meridians (macrocosmic orbit).

If you attain that much, then healing and martial arts will become relatively simple applications at that point. If you haven't, then they will be much harder to make work and less effective (moreso IMA).

For example, I personally don't think that "working backwards" by repeating IMA kata is going to open your energy body very efficiently. That's why many IMAs can't beat external stylists even after decades of practice. All form, no gong = "useless". Might as well rely upon an external style at this undeveloped stage...

BTW, neidan traditionally also requires a lot of sexual restraint (basically celibacy).

Ah, he has the patience to explain. Good :)

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to take up qigong but I'm not sure where to start amongst all the different qigong styles and systems available...

Yes it is overwhelming, isn't it? :huh:

I would suggest you to follow your instict:

1. If you like softness go for Tai Chi Chuan or Wild Goose

2. If you like hard stuff follow Iron Shirt practice

3. if you want a balance of soft and hard then shoot for Xingyi

3. If you like to work directly on the mind: try walking Vipassana which also involves sitting meditation in equal parts.

And there are so many other practices with a Taoist, Buddhist, Medical or Martial Arts background to choose from that the task of finding one you like becomes a challenge. Again, just follow your instinct and take a pick. Good luck.

Nice! Vortex, you rock. :D

Thanks for the insightful replies, everyone!

I'm taking up qigong for the health benefits as I'd like to maintain (and increase) my vitality as I get older. Also I have some minor injuries which never fully healed which I'd like to resolve.

So I guess a healing-oriented qigong might be better for me.

Currently my exercise regimen consists of gym workouts, however in the future I'd like to complement my gym work with a soft-style martial art like tai-chi. So it's good to know that mastering the microcosmic orbit can help with learning martial arts.

I do own a few books on qigong:

The Art of Chi Kung by Wong Kiew Kit (good book but the exercises don't really resonate with me),

Daniel Reid's Tao of Health, Sex & Longevity (excellent general health resource but not much info on achieving microcosmic orbit)

& Mantak Chia's Healing Light of the Tao (way too complicated to be useful for me).

Right now I'm thinking of getting the Spring Forest Qigong study course as it seems to fit my needs. I tried the free exercise on their website and could feel the energy it generated. So would SFQ be a good direction to take?

Thanks for the insightful replies, everyone!

I'm taking up qigong for the health benefits as I'd like to maintain (and increase) my vitality as I get older. Also I have some minor injuries which never fully healed which I'd like to resolve.

So I guess a healing-oriented qigong might be better for me.

Currently my exercise regimen consists of gym workouts, however in the future I'd like to complement my gym work with a soft-style martial art like tai-chi. So it's good to know that mastering the microcosmic orbit can help with learning martial arts.

I do own a few books on qigong:

The Art of Chi Kung by Wong Kiew Kit (good book but the exercises don't really resonate with me),

Daniel Reid's Tao of Health, Sex & Longevity (excellent general health resource but not much info on achieving microcosmic orbit)

& Mantak Chia's Healing Light of the Tao (way too complicated to be useful for me).

Right now I'm thinking of getting the Spring Forest Qigong study course as it seems to fit my needs. I tried the free exercise on their website and could feel the energy it generated. So would SFQ be a good direction to take?

OK, if you are really serious about learning qigong, and want to take the health & awareness route, here you go: www.qigongamerica.com March 20/21 and optional 22nd qigong workshop.

If you are interested in MA then I would find a Hsing I teacher; totally different thing than qigong.

Books are OK to read about something but extremely limited in the real experience. Find a teacher.

I personally don't think that "working backwards" by repeating IMA kata is going to open your energy body very efficiently.

That's why many IMAs can't beat external stylists even after decades of practice. Might as well rely upon an external style at this undeveloped stage...

Wah??? You're kidding right? What internal styles are you referencing here?

Edited by Baguakid

My wife and I have been on the path together since spring of 2007 in an attempt to heal bone spurring in my hips.

TCM (traditional chinese medicine) works if we work it. Massage, accupuncture herbs etc... cost however. Western

medicine is great just look how many orientals and east indians practice it careerwise. However it seems they just want to cut you and insurance won't pay for TCM. Your motivation to study is important. Pain is a great motivator and this stuff WORKS! However I tend not to practice when feeling well. Phenomenal things occured when I began embracing the tree.

All the best! Peace

Internal arts also train external forces and strength, Bagua like Sifu Dale and myself train Iron Palm, heavy 2 light balls, claw bags, weapon, sparring, kettlebells (chinese stone locks), body weight, bag work, wooden dummys, wooden post etc. Internal arts is not Taiji chuan as you see it in parks today, real internal martial artist train real fighting and strength as well flexibilty as well meditation.

Real internal arts also have strength and fitness within them, dont be mistaken that its a soft art of just meditation. Find a REAL internal teacher there is plenty that can fight!

great and simple explanation vortex, thx :)

what I don't exactly understand are two things:

- you need to know the path of channels, don't you ?

- how are transmutation of energy and third eye related to your explanation ?

Internal arts also train external forces and strength, Bagua like Sifu Dale and myself train Iron Palm, heavy 2 light balls, claw bags, weapon, sparring, kettlebells (chinese stone locks), body weight, bag work, wooden dummys, wooden post etc. Internal arts is not Taiji chuan as you see it in parks today, real internal martial artist train real fighting and strength as well flexibilty as well meditation.

Real internal arts also have strength and fitness within them, dont be mistaken that its a soft art of just meditation. Find a REAL internal teacher there is plenty that can fight!

Agreed.. Just the sheer basics of Circle Walking is enough to open channels and build an "iron body".

Here's a clip of my Bagua teacher in Shanghai.

http://www.youtube.com/user/baguabill#p/u/4/tvU-pfVH5TQ

and here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/baguabill#p/u/2/XEEaPE1UMZw

Why is that? I'm really curious.

I'm trying some taichi next to see how I do with it.

Because qigong, meditation, and martial arts were originally one. It is the best way, and I'm not talking like," do form for 30mins, do punching drills for 30mins, then qigong for 30mins, then meditate for 30mins." I mean at any given moment you are doing all of these simultaneously.

Wrong, you are not even close.

Sorry Ya Mu, you and I will never see eye to eye. IMO the "relax, breathe, and move" forms of qigong are no better than dancing, yet better than visualization forms. They are a misguided misinterpretation of what actual qigong is. The only health benefit and the only reason it's practitioner's experience qi is because it relieves stress. Other than that, a lifetime of this type of practice will make you weak unless you get some actual exercise along side it. Since when did people start believing that not exercising will make you healthy? But I say we should dump the gap and just do it all at once. Your qigong should be relaxed and include correct breathing, but it should also make your body burn and sweat, and it should be painful. It should make you strong and healthy. Not only my opinion, not only my experience, but I do only represent myself in this forum.

Because qigong, meditation, and martial arts were originally one. It is the best way, and I'm not talking like," do form for 30mins, do punching drills for 30mins, then qigong for 30mins, then meditate for 30mins." I mean at any given moment you are doing all of these simultaneously.

Sorry Ya Mu, you and I will never see eye to eye. IMO the "relax, breathe, and move" forms of qigong are no better than dancing, yet better than visualization forms. They are a misguided misinterpretation of what actual qigong is. The only health benefit and the only reason it's practitioner's experience qi is because it relieves stress. Other than that, a lifetime of this type of practice will make you weak unless you get some actual exercise along side it. Since when did people start believing that not exercising will make you healthy? But I say we should dump the gap and just do it all at once. Your qigong should be relaxed and include correct breathing, but it should also make your body burn and sweat, and it should be painful. It should make you strong and healthy. Not only my opinion, not only my experience, but I do only represent myself in this forum.

A "misguided interpretation of what actual qigong is"?

My friend, obviously you don't even have a clue what qigong actually is. A teacher who calls themselves a qigong techer should be able to do wei qi liao fa. If they can't, why do you think they know anything about qigong? If they can, then it really doesn't matter what disciple got them there IF they are proficient. REAL qigong allows the practitioner to manipulate energy.

Martial arts are fine for those that wish to practice it. But it is not qigong.

Guest sykkelpump

you recently said the same thing about meditation.now you tell me what real qigong is?

Eh, my post was stupid.

Not because I was wrong, but because I know that people hold strongly to their beloved practices, and my words threatened that.

If you want the most well preserved and advanced method of cultivation, look for good I-Chuan. It's surface is extremely deceptive, and if you find a good teacher and stick with him, you'll learn about the many keys to what qigong really is, and what the Guanzi really means by "mental discipline."

Edited by Old Man Contradiction