krazykoyote

The Tao and Baptism (christian)

I have been following the Tao for a couple years now, and want to bring my new son (2 months old) up following this path, and let him make his own spiritual decisions when he gets old enough, BUT my mom does not know this, and is adamant that I have him baptised in the christian faith, and I have a problem with this. It just does not feel right to me, but the last time I studied another path (wicca) she FREAKED! So I am looking for some feedback from fellows on different paths.

Thanks

Guest paul walter

I have been following the Tao for a couple years now, and want to bring my new son (2 months old) up following this path, and let him make his own spiritual decisions when he gets old enough, BUT my mom does not know this, and is adamant that I have him baptised in the christian faith, and I have a problem with this. It just does not feel right to me, but the last time I studied another path (wicca) she FREAKED! So I am looking for some feedback from fellows on different paths.

Thanks

You'll have to ignore your mum and everyone else and then make a choice with a clear mind. That's all. Paul.

You'll have to ignore your mum and everyone else and then make a choice with a clear mind. That's all. Paul.

I appreciate the input, and a clear mind is definently what I need.

Love your mom, (and or anyone else) but assert/explain that you are making a choice for a non-violent way; btw if one just flat out ignores their parents along these lines then imo I feel we would also be breaking with dharma or Tao.

Om

Excuse me? So his mom has the right to tell him what faith to bring his child up in,

because she's his parent? I don't think so...

Parents are just humans, and they are not necessarily the healthiest ones out there

just because of being parents.

I know that's a chinese cultural thing - ancestral worship, but these are

modern times. Parents do not have the power over their children that they used to, and that's a GOOD thing.

Edited by tyler zambori

Guest paul walter

Love your mom, (and or anyone else) but assert/explain that you are making a choice for a non-violent way; btw if one just flat out ignores their parents along these lines then imo I feel we would also be breaking with dharma or Tao.

Om

According to the intricacies of karma your mother could have been your murderer in a past life and your nemesis in this one. But yes, unconditional love is the strongest defence against all adversity and the best 'tradition' in which to bring up a child. I'd try to give my child love (protection) and teach it about real life til it was self-regulated enough to take over. Paul.

Edited by paul walter

First, I see no reason to irritate your mom.

Just tell her that you want to let him make the decision of what faith he will follow when he gets older.

He will learn about Christianity and other religions during his normal growth and involvement with other people.

You can teach him about Taoism. As a parent I think you should allow your son to make his own decision in this regard. If you walk the path of Taoism I see no reason why he wouldn't choose to follow in your footsteps.

Peace & Love!

Greetings..

Marblehead is spot-on.. neither your mom nor you should prejudice your child's choices in the regard of belief systems.. Live your beliefs openly and with unconditional sincerity, let your mom live her's.. let your child see the 'truth'/deeds of beliefs put into action.. and, be at peace with the possibility that your child my choose a different path altogether..

Be well..

Baptism doesn't mean your child automatically takes on Christian beliefs.

Totally agree.

I was baptised Catholic, went to Catholic school and I was an altar boy for years. Didn't believe any of it at the time and just did it to keep my mum happy.

I now meditate under the guidance of a sheikh, do qigong, study taiji, attend gnostic rituals, heal the one's I love and study the texts of every religion under the sun.

However, your mother's approach is both controlling and uninformed. In your shoes I would make the necessary stand. Brush up on Non-Violent Communication, or Compassionate Communication, techniques to approach her if need be.

Peace,

James

If I were you I'd just do the baptism. There is no effect on your child, and also it will make your mom happy...so why not?

I used to feel it was right to sit eat McDonald's, drink, smoke, and mentally curse everyone who passed by. I might not have had a lot of friends, health, or peace, but damn it, I had PRINCIPLE!

:lol:

Why not? Subscribe to principle. Do what you feel is right.

I feel that it is wrong for two reasons, first is that the ritual includes the (commitment) of the congregation to bring him up in the christian faith and I feel it is very hollow, two is that I don't want him to feel obligated to follow this path because of this.

my other dilema is that the last time I informed my 'mom' that I was on a different path (Wiccan) she "feared for my immortal soul". i am past this and she just doesn't get it.

I feel that it is wrong for two reasons, first is that the ritual includes the (commitment) of the congregation to bring him up in the christian faith and I feel it is very hollow, two is that I don't want him to feel obligated to follow this path because of this.

my other dilema is that the last time I informed my 'mom' that I was on a different path (Wiccan) she "feared for my immortal soul". i am past this and she just doesn't get it.

That is the problem...they feel that they have GOD on their side, and that is why they feel self-righteous

about things like this, and other things like gay marriage and etc. To them, if the baby dies before being

old enough to choose, they will not go to Heaven if they are not baptized in the christian faith. They do not

see that it is merely their belief. To them, it is the actual truth.

Also, if the baby is baptized as a christian, then she will expect you to raise him or her as a christian,

won't she?

So maybe the thing to do would be to approach it as a difference in beliefs, not as simply denying what

she thinks are actual facts. They are not actual facts, they are beliefs. Tell her that it is not

a proven fact that the kid won't go to Heaven if he or she is not baptized. It is not a proven fact,

and there are even major religions that don't even believe in God.

And since it is not a proven fact, she cannot force her beliefs onto people who don't share those

beliefs.

Just a thought.

That's a very hard one man...

Speaking of hollow have you read, "Autobigraphy of Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda? If not you can find in it another understanding of Master Jesus/Christianity through the eyes of a Self-realized Hindu Master... strange world isn't it?

Om

Guest paul walter

Now this may be hard to take but is the probable answer to your dilemma. Your mother cares for neither you or the child at the moment. She is most probably psychotic. She is blinded by her fear of life and has adopted Christianity as a way of preventing herself from facing that fear. It is your mothers problem and because of this she will transfer it to you and your child (and others) throughout her life. Stay away from her as much as possible. The key is your living situation-it sounds like you may be living with her? If that's the case then she will most likely be using such a 'problem' as the one you have posted about in order to control her desired outcome in some way. Human beings really aren't that hard to work out--it's their abuse of their social position (in this case the role of 'mother') that is the tricky thing to manage to avoid getting entangled in. So there are only two options--give in and resent or don't give in and have her resent you. Learn from her and never treat your child the way she has treated you. Best, Paul

Edited by paul walter

Now this may be hard to take but is the probable answer to your dilemma. Your mother cares for neither you or the child at the moment. She is most probably psychotic. She is blinded by her fear of life and has adopted Christianity as a way of preventing herself from facing that fear. It is your mothers problem and because of this she will transfer it to you and your child (and others) throughout her life. Stay away from her as much as possible. The key is your living situation-it sounds like you may be living with her? If that's the case then she will most likely be using such a 'problem' as the one you have posted about in order to control her desired outcome in some way. Human beings really aren't that hard to work out--it's their abuse of their social position (in this case the role of 'mother') that is the tricky thing to manage to avoid getting entangled in. So there are only two options--give in and resent or don't give in and have her resent you. Learn from her and never treat your child the way she has treated you. Best, Paul

What makes you think his mom is psychotic! She is just acting like most Christians and while they are generally a bit crazy because their path is so far from the Way and full of the necessity to believe all sorts of things ... they are not certifiably mentally ill. The aversion to Wicca is probably due to 'thou shalt not suffer a witch to live' ... and other Biblical mutterings.

Casting aside all the church nonsense the origin of Baptism is in libation with water as a symbol of voidity a common theme in the ancient world. If you decide to go ahead with it there is the option to interpret the ceremony in your own way and give it some proper meaning.

Edited by apepch7

the ritual includes the (commitment) of the congregation to bring him up in the christian faith

This is just as much of a belief as that of your mum's...

And the feeling that it's 'hollow' is as correct or incorrect a response as your mother's fear for your soul.

there is the option to interpret the ceremony in your own way and give it some proper meaning.

Yes.

No belief can be ultimately 'true' - so your beliefs, however more inclusive or 'balanced' they seem, are the same as your mother's. What you have on your hands is not a quest for who's 'right' (because nether of you are) - but a simple power struggle. Up to you how you go about it.

My mom is very much the fanatical christian to the point that she has to work in the church, then gossips about all the problems and people in it. But that is another issue.

I appreciate all the different views and input on this topic, I know I do not want to just go along with it, just to make her happy, she needs to learn that she can't run my familys life, and my new wife is very good at keeping me focused, but I still need to find the right approach. It has been ten years since the issue with Wicca, and since I went back to christianity for a time, but have found the path that I have been on always (Tao... or is that redundant?) and I want my son to have the freedom of choice, and not have the guilt that seems to prevail from the christian path.

Any advice from those raising their kids in the Tao or another path?

Thanks

she needs to learn that she can't run my familys life

The only problem with this is that things don't always work out as we think they should. Reality is: she doesn't need to learn anything...and she most likely won't.

Anyway, good luck with the situation. :)

Make the choice, tell her that if she wants to see her grandchild, she has

to keep her religion to herself. If you don't, she will make your life hell.

She doesn't see you as an individual, but as an extension herself, sorry to say.

It's your choice.

Do it. Washing the head with water doesn't really mean anything. If it means something to your mom, why go out of your way to annoy her?

Do it. Washing the head with water doesn't really mean anything. If it means something to your mom, why go out of your way to annoy her?

THAT, and playing with ping-pong with your kid as the ball, just because you happen to change belief systems whenever it suits you doesn't make you a very responsible father...!

Dude, wake up.

The Christian religion maybe a bit silly but witchcraft and energy practices can be a nightmare!

It's MUCH safer for a baby to grow up in a Judeo-Christian belief system. He is well protected there, and this should be your main concern, if you are a responsible parent, which i very much doubt.

Or better yet, stop fighting and arguing on it, and LET HIM DECIDE.