Sign in to follow this  
Taomeow

A belief is born...

Guest paul walter

Profound...and...sad. There's no hope for us.

Profound...and...sad. There's no hope for us.

My reaction is similar, though the conclusion differs:

:unsure:<_<:closedeyes::mellow:;)^_^:lol::ninja:

A great opportunity to paraphrase the definition of belief (ala Alan Watts) - a fervent hope that something unverifiable is true.

In contrast, faith is the certainty that what remains when all beliefs are abandoned is truth.

Edited by steve f

By watching your mind.

I don't think so. Your mind is a product of your ego. It's not the same as your brain. The aim of silencing your mind, one of the higher goals of Taoism, is to eliminate the mind. Once your mind is silenced, there is nothing to watch. Ultimately the mind is nothing but a self created dream and will be gone once you die, but Tao will go on regardless of whether anyone tries to watch it or not.

If you think Tao is something playing in your mind that you can watch, I guess that is practicing.

You can do Taoist practices, but you cannot practice the Tao; you can only try to live in harmony with it.

Eric Yudelove

By watching your mind.

And who is it that watches the mind?

I also don't get who the puppeteers are in that image.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

I don't think so. Your mind is a product of your ego. It's not the same as your brain. The aim of silencing your mind, one of the higher goals of Taoism, is to eliminate the mind. Once your mind is silenced, there is nothing to watch. Ultimately the mind is nothing but a self created dream and will be gone once you die, but Tao will go on regardless of whether anyone tries to watch it or not.

If you think Tao is something playing in your mind that you can watch, I guess that is practicing.

You can do Taoist practices, but you cannot practice the Tao; you can only try to live in harmony with it.

Eric Yudelove

Do you mean "mind" as in the linguistic mind? Mind as in self-conscious/dualistic mind? Or the mind of intentions, the heart?

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

Do you mean "mind" as in the linguistic mind? Mind as in self-conscious/dualistic mind? Or the mind of intentions, the heart?

If I had to deal with so many minds, I think I would get confused.

Best to ask them all politely to be quiet, then I wouldn't have to deal with any of them.

Eric Yudelove

Best to ask them all politely to be quiet, then I wouldn't have to deal with any of them.

Eric Yudelove

who is asking them all to be quiet?

who is asking them all to be quiet?

Silent knowledge.

Once the mind is silenced, this doesn't mean that you dissolve and there is no one there. You are still there it's just that you see the world without the filters of the mind.

Silent knowledge is a gift from Tao, once the mind has been silenced the Heavenly Heart silently speaks to you. It is real knowledge, not something that has been self created.

Eric Yudelove

A friend of mine once told me a story. She was on vacation, she and a few other people who just got acquainted decided to do a late night picnic on the beach. They had food and booze and music and fire and enthusiasm, and before long they decided to spend the night there -- it was very warm. Only problem, there were no bathroom facilities. So they looked around and decided that they would take turns going behind "those bushes over there," a few feet away. Which they did. Since there was a lot of beer, there was a lot of going behind "those bushes over there" during the night. Later they all fell asleep. When they woke up in the morning, they discovered that there were no "bushes over there" -- there was absolutely nothing there, an empty sandy place with not a single blade of grass growing out of it. Yet everybody -- seven to nine people as I recall -- swore that the night before there were bushes over there, that they went behind those bushes, making sure they were well out of sight...

Guest paul walter

A friend of mine once told me a story. She was on vacation, she and a few other people who just got acquainted decided to do a late night picnic on the beach. They had food and booze and music and fire and enthusiasm, and before long they decided to spend the night there -- it was very warm. Only problem, there were no bathroom facilities. So they looked around and decided that they would take turns going behind "those bushes over there," a few feet away. Which they did. Since there was a lot of beer, there was a lot of going behind "those bushes over there" during the night. Later they all fell asleep. When they woke up in the morning, they discovered that there were no "bushes over there" -- there was absolutely nothing there, an empty sandy place with not a single blade of grass growing out of it. Yet everybody -- seven to nine people as I recall -- swore that the night before there were bushes over there, that they went behind those bushes, making sure they were well out of sight...

Sounds like some other Bushes a lot of people hid behind when they thought they needed protection a few years back. Amazing what one manifests when morality enters the picture...Paul.

Sounds like some other Bushes a lot of people hid behind when they thought they needed protection a few years back. Amazing what one manifests when morality enters the picture...Paul.

22.gif

Silent knowledge.

Once the mind is silenced, this doesn't mean that you dissolve and there is no one there. You are still there it's just that you see the world without the filters of the mind.

Silent knowledge is a gift from Tao, once the mind has been silenced the Heavenly Heart silently speaks to you. It is real knowledge, not something that has been self created.

Eric Yudelove

What is an unfiltered world?

But really, what is a filter?

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

Silent knowledge.

Eric Yudelove

How can you possibly know it is not self created?

And what can you expect from this knowledge? Basic how to live life guidelines? How to become an "immortal"? How to make do things which have real world application or uses?

Eric Yudelove

Or you can just smoke weed. Or go to sleep.

Sign in to follow this