Ron Goninan

My White Crane Approach

Hi all,

ronbubishicrane.jpg

I been actively pursuing the Oriental Martial Arts since January 1972 commencing in Shotokan Karate-Do. I went on to explore Matsumura Shorin-Ryu Karatedo and Okinawan?Chinese Hakutsuru which I studied on Okinawa with Yabiku Takaya Sensei. Realizing the need to take my personal exploration far deeper than this meeting would allow, I gave up my ranking in Karatedo, Kobudo and Hakutsuru to explore the Chinese martial arts. This led me to a 6 year study and friendship with Shaolin Baihe Teacher Shifu Nian Chen Fai and senior Chun Ho.

April 1988 saw myself awarded Internal Arts Instructor Accreditation with the World Taiji Boxing Association.

Moving on in his studies of the Chinese arts, I linked up of Shifu Gu-Ping 師父谷平 of Guangdong Province China in 2000, a relationship that continues to this day. Since 1998, I has been a follower of Grandmaster Yap Leong of the Shaolin Fists International. I was recognised as a Shifu 師父/Instructor of White Crane Gongfu/Wushu by the China Martial Arts Association of China. The China Martial Arts Association China.Government University Beijing and China Government Central Party Academy and China Government University in Beijing consists of Grandmaster Mu Xian Jie, President Zhan Shan, Grandmaster He Fu Sheng, Grandmaster Liu Wan Fu, Grandmaster Wang Feng Zhu, Grandmaster Professor Dr. Gu Ping.

In 2003 I found and linked up with Great Master Ruan Dong of Fuzhou Calling White Crane with Shifu Dong agreeing to become the Patron and Technical Master/Advisor to myself and the White Crane Research Institute. One of my students visited Great Master Ruan Dong for lesson and returned to pass on that which he had learned during his time in China.

As it stands another of my members is currently in China and has learned from Great Master Ruan Dong passing on several valuable resources and will return with his training to also pas it on. I continue to research this link by going deeper and wider.

I have continued to research and learn led which led me to the inspiration and the rockbed that is “Baihe Jingqishen Quantao” ~ White Crane Essence Energy Spirit Fist Way. In order to understand Martial Arts in-depth it is not enough to simply practice … one also has to research deeply the basis for the foundation of one's chosen art form. I have been continually researching the martial arts for most of his 39 years involvement with this research yielding a great amount of information. In 1988 I began my studies of Dim-Mak (Chinese Pressure Point Art Form) and related practices and continues along this pathway of learning. My research is not only for his own benefit of knowledge, but for the benefit of others who may choose to walk this martial path with Me. I am an instructor who keeps himself to himself. I is known for his Kung-Fu only to a limited number of people. teaching at a private school.

I am the Australian White Crane Boxing Dissemination Branch Director and Representative of the prestigious YongChun YiYun Wushu Research Society.

As part of my research, I was introduced to “Reiki” (霊気) and other Energy Healing Arts. I have made the connection between these Arts and has since taken my research to a point where I can act competently as a healer.

I entered into the world of semi-professional writing and was a writer for magazines such as Blitz Martial Arts Magazine, Bujutsu International Magazine and an International Correspondent for two United Kingdom-based martial arts magazines, Traditional Karate and Combat Magazines.

The WCRI are members of the Martial Arts Industry Association (Membership No. 414), the peak association for martial arts in Australia as recognised by the Australian Government.I offer private, hands-on instruction to a select and dedicated few via my Closed Door Wushu Guan in Wellington NSW Australia.

I am also a fully Accredited Sanshou Judge/Official under the Accrediataion Scheme administered by the Australian Kung-Fu (Wushu) Federation and the Australian Sports Commission.

I am also a member and recognized teacher of White Crane Gongfu/Wushu with the World Kuoshu Federation.

It also seems to me that grades within the martial arts are only designed for those that kick, punch, and shout. There does not appear to be any grade awarded to those that seriously study martial arts in-depth and dedicate their lives in pursuit of these same arts. Ranks and titles do not exist for those who seek the essence of the arts.

We do not need them as we are far too busy living the life rather than looking for recognition and reward. Those of us actually walking the path find this is enough reward. This is a reward far beyond the external embroidery that ranks and titles bring with them. Such externally ego bound aspects are for the followers not the leaders of the martial arts. Such people need to belong to something rather than for those of us that see no reason to belong to anything in order to justify our existence and exploration of the art. Ranks and titles, belts and external embroidery are grades for those that follow the martial path rather than create their own unique martial path.

Not really considering myself as an expert in the Chinese combative traditions my preoccupation with them has however, progressively escalated since my childhood.

Many hard, arduous and lengthy hours, months, years of continued study, research, training and refinement have gone into the collective syllabus of the White Crane Research Institute including the study of rare manuscripts made available to us via Master Su YingHanof the YongChun YiYun Wushu Research Society (YongChun Joy Cloud Martial Arts Research Board/Society) and footage given to me by Great Master Ruan Dong of Fuzhou, China. A great many hours, burning the candle at both ends and “night porridge” has been placed in the study of Chinese texts and rare footage of the old masters, Crane players from a generation soon to disappear, performing their arts for prosperity.

A great deal of walking the martial pathway to the heart of White Crane Boxing has been undertaken by myself.

I am something of an eccentric and therefore my views have spilled over into the art I research and study. This is the natural way of things. I am considered a rebel because of my views regarding the martial arts. I make no apology for this as this is as it is.

ronzhongkuan.jpg

In my own school I teach Baihequan in non-traditional manner, which means I have added some fighting tactics, basic kicks, and few other elements to make practice more interesting and beneficial for students. I don't need to "defend" what I do. I am not here to win a popularity contest. Anytime someone steps outside the box to take a stand that is different from the accepted practice is reason enough to be criticized by others, and no where is this more evident than in the martial arts. Having come up through the ranks since childhood (during the seventies) and having stayed active for the past 39 years or so --- along with going to extremes to better understand what has remained terribly ambiguous, unsystematized and relatively incoherent (particularly with regards to the study of Taolu/Xing) I and those who choose to walk this path with me remain happy. I see myself as a seasoned veteran, no longer willing to accept and or swallow the ignorance, arrogance and incongruous practices so widespread in this tradition. I’d guess that the idea of “legit,” or “authentic” martial arts, is probably based upon the Chinese tradition (Okinawan/Japanese also have a similar motif) --- pedigree/lineage; i.e., if your style IS NOT connected directly (or possibly even indirectly) to some “original” Chinese/Asian tradition then it's NOT legit/authentic! The idea of functionality has long been reason for some of us seniors to re-evaluate many of the long-established practices of traditional Wushu. Much of it has to do with the contextual premise that technique is supposed to work against. Such “re-evaluation” has, without question, given birth to a myriad of eclectic Wushu-like “traditions.” Some of this Western-based eclecticism has been done within the accepted boundaries of Chinese cultural landscape and social mindset, some has not and then there’s stuff that is way out there. I am sure that one could even argue that even the most accepted Chinese traditions (Wushu, Gongfu) are eclectic by nature. The Martial Arts industry (of which Wushu is a part) is largely unregulated. Based purely on this one issue alone I don’t believe there’s anything stopping anyone “making up something” and calling it whatever they want. My ongoing comparative study with progenitor forms (Fuzhou, YongChun, Shaolin), has given me much to consider when trying to accurately evaluate the essence, energy and spirit of same. I am largely a self made man and proud of it. A seeker not a follower.

I do not seek to be well known, entering tournaments, making books after books and DVD’s after DVD’s, nor appearing in countless magazine articles and I have no interest in the world.

The White Crane Research Institute is a grouping together of people in a study group dedicated to the White Crane Essence Energy Spirit Fist Way of Gongfu / Wushu martial arts politics. I simply practice my art and am all the more happier for it.

The Art-form in question is Baihe Jingqishen Quantao or "White Crane Essence Energy Spirit Fist Way" - a study and collection of time-honoured White Crane-based exercises, techniques and forms that originate from faraway villages in Fujian - a south eastern province of mainland China.

The White Crane Research Institute (Incorporation Number INC9874707) is a non-profit association as registered with the Australian Department of Fair Trading and as such places no emphasis on monetary concerns. The exploration of the art is all that we are concerned about.

Our aim is to research the various aspects of the White Crane arts. The White Crane Research Institute is a member with honor of the World Kuoshu Federation and the Martial Arts Industry Association.

The White Crane Research Institute is a private non-profit Closed Door school of martial arts. Membership and training is open to a select dedicated and spirited few. We are a study/research group dedicated to the spirit and essence of White Crane. The White Crane Research Institute encompasses a study of Chinese Shaolin and Calling Crane Wushu, Chinese Weaponry, Tai Chi, Chi-Gong/Qigong and Healing Arts (Reiki & Seichim).

We follow the teachings of Sifu Ruan Dong of Fuzhou Fujian China who has agreed to be our Master/Advisor. This has resulted in an exchange of rare and highly regarded training information and resources. Great Master Ruan Dong has offered us access to a number of highly prized resources and guidance regarding the Calling White Crane art and continues to guide us in our studies and on-going research.It is our sincere aim to continue to explore the martial arts unfettered by the politics, ego and other like-distractions normally associated with the martial arts world.

Our art is a a collection of time-honoured Crane-based exercises that originate from faraway villages in Fujian a south-eastern province of Mainland China.

Our art essentially refers to Traditional and Classical Chinese Martial Arts based upon the local and indigenous culture of Fuzhou both the City and the outlying area which the locals call Fuzhou Area as well as Guangzhou, Guandong Province.

Neither a style of Chinese Wushu (traditional Chinese martial arts) not a system of Chinese gongfu, it is a collection of concepts and principals expressed by way of various Forms (taolu) and two-person training methodologies. The White Crane Research Institute exists to explore the wonderment and depth of the White Crane art and seek to join in research and study with those interested in joining with us on our pathway to the Martial Arts.

The White Crane Research Institute shall remain a small a non-profit, non-commercial association of people seeking something more from their involvement within the martial arts. It will remain as an association for people, not "martial artists.

The White Crane Research Institute is dedicated to excellence in the research of our White Crane Gongfu art. The White Crane fighting arts system that we teach in our club is very strongly influenced from the Whooping Crane art of Great Master Ruan Dong and our studies of the Shaolin Baihe of Shifu Chen Fai and Shifu Gu-Ping. We call our art "White Crane Jingqishen Quantao". The White Crane Research Institute does not claim any direct lineage over hundreds of years like lots of other clubs do, after all if nobody had further developed each style, we would not have the rich wide range of styles that exist today. China has so many unseen heroes that have never been seen in the West never mind made famous and their martial arts are a way of life to them not a commercial product. In reality all martial form are constantly changing to meet modern demands while keeping the original essence and character of the art. The mentality, the essence of the arts are creative.

"The arts are alive and creative. In Chinese philosophy, if an art is not creative, then the art is dead. It is also because the art is creative that, after hundreds of years of development and creation, there can be many styles of the same art." ~ Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming, Shaolin White Crane Master.

No claim is made to be studying or teaching the exact Minghequan tradition. We seek the spirit of White Crane hence the name of our teachings being Baihe Jingshen Quantao or White Crane Spirit Fist Way.

Our study group uses a number of resources at hand in order to look into the essence of White Crane as a valid martial arts form. Such resources include written notes, DVD's and hands-on interpretation and instruction in same.

The WCRI Study Group is made up of members of the public who seek the essence and spirit of the White Crane arts.

Meeting on a regular basis, the techniques, forms and applications of the essence of White Crane is what we focus upon.

Techniques and forms are researched in depth and all aspects are considered before being put in to practice.

We believe that White Crane should be practiced in as natural manner as possible as such we do not subscribe to the harder, more “Karate-Like”, external practices sometimes seen within the White Crane world. The White Crane is a natural, free-flowing bird whose movements are filled with great grace and beauty. It does not move in a staccato fashion.

What the WCRI Group really is a gathering of martial arts enthusiasts unencumbered by the world of martial arts politics, back-biting, ranks, titles and whose who. The members of our study groups are more concerned with the in-depth research, understanding and practice of the martial arts themselves rather than the misfortune of the politics and ego's which surround it.

IMPORTANT: At no time do we within the White Crane Research Institute and WCRI Study Group lay any claim to be teaching the exact White Crane art. Our teachings are as a result of our continuing research, practice and internalisation of the principles, spirit and essence of White Crane!

Should you have any questions or comments arising from what you read here (or, for that matter, anywhere else) then please do not hesitate to make contact with me and I will do my best to answer you!

Edited by Ron Goninan