Sign in to follow this  
Trunk

Happy (Chinese) New Year

...Gung hay fat choy...

What does the phrase mean?

A warning -- "Fat Joe has a gun and is hiding in hay."

At least that's what the year is likely to be like. The Tiger has Metal on top (in the Heavenly Stem), Wood on the bottom (in the Earthly Branch). It means a tiger carrying weapons on his back, irritated and trying to shake them off -- or maybe use them. Hiding in the grass, armed, and dangerous.

I knew that, I just didn't know the tiger's name was Fat Joe.

Don't throw anything heavy.:lol:

Happy New Year!:)

A warning -- "Fat Joe has a gun and is hiding in hay."

At least that's what the year is likely to be like. The Tiger has Metal on top (in the Heavenly Stem), Wood on the bottom (in the Earthly Branch). It means a tiger carrying weapons on his back, irritated and trying to shake them off -- or maybe use them. Hiding in the grass, armed, and dangerous.

I knew that, I just didn't know the tiger's name was Fat Joe.

Don't throw anything heavy.:lol:

Happy New Year!:)

5*'s! :D

Happy New Year, but the tigers need some help:

Tiger Farms in China Feed Thirst for Parts

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/13/world/asia/13tiger.html

I hope the save the tiger fund can do something:

http://www.savethetigerfund.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home1

China and India need to wake up, and do better by these

endangered species.

Edited by tyler zambori

Happy New Year, but the tigers need some help:

China and India need to wake up, and do better by these

endangered species.

YESSSSS! This would be an excellent year to draw more attention to the problem!

Dao knows, the Tigers will do their part:

TigerWoods_mating_with_Cathay2_big.JPG

Happy New Lunar Year to you all anyway (And Happy Valentine's Day, too :) )

3761.jpg

. The Tiger has Metal on top (in the Heavenly Stem), Wood on the bottom (in the Earthly Branch). It means a tiger carrying weapons on his back, irritated and trying to shake them off -- or maybe use them. Hiding in the grass, armed, and dangerous.

tiger-woods.jpg

year of the tiger:

I hope to see plum blossoms

and chrysanthemums

(Good luck and longevity for all!)

Chinese new year might be thought of as something really cool but after 2 chinese new years, when during those times i have stayed with 4 different chinese families.... compaired to western christmas - they suck.

Why is christmas good, why is it different from any other day? because of the festivities. Western new year and christmas are 10x better than in China. Maybe just because the chinese are behind in development of their socieites and culture they are also behind in their festivals. I feel we still have just as much (if not more) emotional connection to our festivals as they do but our materalistic is much better. Not that you need to spend lots of money on christmas but it's great to give presents however small they may be or decorate your house. Here the old people give money to the children. Thats all, only one way giving. If you visit a friend in china it's expected you will bring them something, and nothing small or it's looked down upon. They're all about impressing each other with how much they can give. It's not that they give from the heart it's that they want the others to think they are so generous and they get a kick out of it. Whats more, you'll be lucky if you ever get a thankyou for your present. Although they may try to express their thanks in other ways.

I thought the chinese way... the home of the yinyang/taichi/bagua was perfectly balanced and had high expectations for it. Now i see they are just the yin, we are the yang neither are no more advanced in spirituality. They have just put it into a science. The west is still well aware of the yin/yang but it has not put so much focus on it.

But hey, just because all our festivals are bigger better and nicer than theirs, they're still happy with their mediocore ones so long as they're happy thats all that matters. The happiness is in the mind. Just it's the biggest backflip being here. Integration of east and west is so difficult.

Don't come to the east to exciting festival celebrations. Australia day which is one of our smaller festivals obviously and it makes chinese new year look like sunday church :P

Western new year and christmas are 10x better than in China. Maybe just because the chinese are behind in development of their socieites and culture they are also behind in their festivals. I feel we still have just as much (if not more) emotional connection to our festivals as they do but our materalistic is much better. Not that you need to spend lots of money on christmas but it's great to give presents however small they may be or decorate your house.

I don't know so much about Chinese new year and how they celebrate it, but I know really well how we celebrate it and how we used to do it(in Europe at least). Our materialistic way of living really emptied the meaning of this happenings, having too much and tasting nothing. We think that our society is developed but in my opinion we're destroying it and that's no development at all.

My grandma, 60-70 years ago use to be really happy at Christmas just receiving some oranges or other special good food, and occasionaly little unexpensive toys. When I was little, 20 years ago, I received plenty of stuff, wanted always more and expensive - presents like a dress were shit.

People has always given little presents and decorated their houses at chrismas time; they did with little money but with more feeling!

Of course I'm talking in general, so still people that really feel Christmas even in our contemporary society.

What I really mean is that when we think about our "developed" society we have to consider also what we forgogt, not just what we gained. In this meaning I think that days like Christmas were really smt special in the past, smt that really touched the feelings of everyone, while nowadays is just another opportunity to "buy 3 pay for 2" - Produce. Consume. Die.

my 0.02€

Edited by buscon

I think the biggest problem in the west is that people still aren't happy with their lives even though they have everything and they have this attitude (i had it before too) ..like you said it...Produce, consume, die. It's correct though, we just need to take enjoyment in each of the 3 phases. We have worked and developed each phase to a such great level, how could we not enjoy each each of those 3 phases. We can drive a tractor to produce, consume the ultimate in quality (and damn does the west have great quality) then die in your mahogany quilted box.

What on earth could we want more?!?!?!? SOAK IT UP!!!!

that's the point: most of the people in the west want everything and still not happy. The "produce, consume, die" slogan is the consequent process and I think that we don't have just to enjoy every phase and let it flow: it's a degenerative process and as taoists I think we should leave it for a simpler alternative.

Of course we have created plenty of good things and we can enjoy them, but what about the hidden cosequences ? like destroying our planet ? like creating poverty ?. There are plenty of problems that we indirectly create with our lifestyle, and we have to face it, somehow.

On the other hand, we have to enjoy life and generate good feelings in order to make this world a better place, that's the only way. So happy new Chinese year, the black tiger will show us smt interesting, I'm sure :)

that's the point: most of the people in the west want everything and still not happy. The "produce, consume, die" slogan is the consequent process and I think that we don't have just to enjoy every phase and let it flow: it's a degenerative process and as taoists I think we should leave it for a simpler alternative.

Of course we have created plenty of good things and we can enjoy them, but what about the hidden cosequences ? like destroying our planet ? like creating poverty ?. There are plenty of problems that we indirectly create with our lifestyle, and we have to face it, somehow.

On the other hand, we have to enjoy life and generate good feelings in order to make this world a better place, that's the only way. So happy new Chinese year, the black tiger will show us smt interesting, I'm sure :)

Thats the thing though. In the west (or at least where i'm from in Australia) we're so on top of things like saving the planet that we have the best of everything while still not defacing the planet. In china everything comes in a plastic packet. If i buy something it first comes in a decorative box 3x the size of the product, then i open it inside it's plastic cover, find another box inside with the product, open it, the product is then wrapped in plastic, and has several smaller portions that i can then devour, each in it's own plastic packet!! The shop owner gives it to me in 2 plastic bags doubled up because he thinks it's heavy (probably because of all the packaging). I then fill the two plastic bags the shop has given me with the plastic wrapping and have no other choice but to give it to landfill (apart from not buying anything) We are taoists, and we live in the west. We don't need to search any more for the answer, we already have the secret and have done the work for a perfect and luxurious (should we choose it) life. Enjoy guys!

"We" don't create poverty. The small people are not the problem. It's the big companies that create problems.

Yes we use too much energy. But after this wireless energy comes to surface which has already been designed we can use natural energy for our luxury needs without destorying the planet on such a rediculous level. Then we will be living at one with nature in our great cities.

Any tigers wearing sexc red underwear yet? :P

Sign in to follow this