Sign in to follow this  
Dainin

Forthcoming medical qigong book

Chinese Medical Qigong

This is coming out in March, and looks like it should be a good one. According to the introduction to the English edition, it is the translation of the official medical qigong textbook used in China. Some notable authors are listed among the translators.

Looks like A must Read.

Thanx alot =)

If you want to read from the "cultural revolution" point of view. The "cultural revolution" eliminated most of what was beneficial in China! In terms of any qigong system or TCM system that is government approved in China, I am wary of it. Most qigong is approved by their sports department. The good stuff has been removed.

ralis

If you want to read from the "cultural revolution" point of view. The "cultural revolution" eliminated most of what was beneficial in China! In terms of any qigong system or TCM system that is government approved in China, I am wary of it. Most qigong is approved by their sports department. The good stuff has been removed.

ralis

yaaaay.

yea true dat.

Jerry Alan Johnson's Medical Qigong texts look great. I have the first edition.

Weeeeell, I don't know either way about the cultural revolution statements and all that, and I don't doubt it either. It would seem that if the QiGong worked, it would be in the best interest of the chinese government to promote it. But, I guess thats probably an American point of view, since I don't *think* they have wellfare in China. Like I said, I don't know. But, I do know that the table of contents in that link looked interesting.

:-)

I also have the first edition book on Medical QiGong by JAJ, its awesome. Makes me want to buy the five volume set for the expended info.

ralis

I see your point, although most North American Chinese medicine schools teach post-Cultural Revolution TCM methods, only a handful teach 5 element or classical acupuncture. I think the graduates of these TCM schools are still helping their clients even though they didn't learn some aspects of the traditional methods. Another example is the 24 and 42 movement tai chi forms. They are not traditional, but the practitioners still gain health benefits from the practice. So in both examples, while traditional learning and practice would probably be preferable, I don't think the modern variants are necessarily without merit. It may be a matter of degree... I don't think all the "good stuff" has been removed, although some definitely has. By the way, I think that Dr. Johnson did his training in TCM schools and hospitals in the PRC, so it will be interesting to compare the methods in his books with those in this book.

The Cultural Revolution was truly a disaster, probably comparable to the burning of the Alexandrian library.

Don't rely so much in books (not saying the book is bad, not at all it is good but probably limited like most books). Nothing beats practice and spiritual attainment. There are anchorites out there capable of healing by touch and other means. :)

Don't rely so much in books (not saying the book is bad, not at all it is good but probably limited like most books). Nothing beats practice and spiritual attainment. There are anchorites out there capable of healing by touch and other means. :)

Well said ^_^

Sign in to follow this