NeiChuan

Tongue/Roof of mouth

People mention they "always" keep your tongue curved to the roof of there mouth.

Although I've heard it can cause major problems later on, true or false? ^_^

Putting the tongue to the roof of the mouth is how you connect the two main paths of the microcosmic orbit- one going up the back and around the top of the head, and the other going down the front of the chest.

Having your tongue in that position ensures that the energy can freely and safely flow through the full circuit. And as you get to higher levels and start handling more energy, yeah, having everything flow smoothly is pretty important.

One of the "goals" (can't think of a better word atm) of the small circulation is to reconnect the Renmai and Dumai at the two separations that occur at birth. It can take a lifetime of dedicated practice to accomplish that. And that may not be enough time. That's one of the reasons Daoist practices focussed so much on extending the physical lifespan - to get more time to practice.

The value of the tongue on the roof of the mouth is highly overstated. It helps, but if it were that easy to revert to the pre-birth condition, well, everybody could it, lol.

That said, instead of straining and pressing the tongue upward, try just relaxing the jaw and tongue. The tongue swells up a bit and it slides forward, touching the upper palate all on its own.

The main side-effect of pressing the tip of your tongue upward all through the day would probably be a cramped jaw which can resonate negatively through the entire body.

One aspect of this practice that doesn't get a lot of attention is the build-up of Qigong saliva. Think of it as your own, custom-made super healing elixir and swallow it consciously deep down.

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 3

People mention they "always" keep your tongue curved to the roof of there mouth.

Although I've heard it can cause major problems later on, true or false? ^_^

I've been doing it for about 30 years with no problem except that I really don't like the taste of superglue :(

neichuan, what are the major problems you are referring to?

besides the metaphysical and the micro/macro orbit connections that are commonly referred to, you should also realize that by placing the tip of the tongue to the upper palate, you are triggering a physical reaction. when lightly placing the tongue to the upper palate, you allow/encourage saliva to pool under the tongue.

when you meditate or perform internal arts, you "quiet" the sympathetic system of the body and encourage a parasympathetic response. coincidentally, a parasympathetic response increases saliva production.

funny how that works, huh?

It doesnt cause any problems. You will find that after practising a while, the tongue stays in position on it's own anyhow.

After that you will find you want to stretch it further back the roof of your mouth.

Then, the only problem is not being able to get it as far back as you would wish.

• Like 1

What about Dew that descent from Pineal gland and with saliva is digested,and how this is related to Elixir production?

All the best,

Ormus

What about Dew that descent from Pineal gland and with saliva is digested,and how this is related to Elixir production?

All the best,

Ormus

Having just read Foundations of Internal Alchemy I can assure you that such saliva is actually Pre-Celestial Jing or "Yuan Jing" energy and that is how the "Yuan Jing" energy is replenished.

Also keep in mind that flexing the anus connects the front and back channels just as importantly as tongue against the roof of the mouth - lower and upper magpie bridges respectively.

• Like 1

I love how topics that directly connect to my recent experience are at the top of the forum. So I have consciously been practicing this over the last few weeks. I was doing an attenuated version months before with the top part of my tongue, but now the underside of my tongue connects to my soft palate aka as nabho mudra.

http://savy-international.com/yoga/nabho-mudra/

I don't know if it's placebo effect ( i do not think it is) but when I perform nabho mudra throughout the course of my day I notice my mind quiets, I feel more focused and grounded within 10-15 minutes. I experimented with this directly a couple days ago.

I had drank 1 coffee, and 2 hours later I drank 2 shots of espresso. Needless to say, I started to notice that edgy anxiousness that comes with drinking too much caffeine. I then proceeded to perform nabho mudra and within 15 minutes I retained the energy boost from caffeine but the nervous anxiety had completely vanished. I then went on to do some of the most productive writing work for the next 4 hours. This was not only attributable to the caffeine, I know this from personal experience because when I drink caffeine I usually have to take bathroom breaks, get involved in distractions at the cafe by people watching, but with nabho I was hyper-focused and internally very calm.

I am a believer and will continue this practice. The jaw issue does concern me so I make sure to keep my jaw as relaxed as possible, slowly I will work on pushing my tongue back further while maintaning a fully relaxed jaw.

One of the "goals" (can't think of a better word atm) of the small circulation is to reconnect the Renmai and Dumai at the two separations that occur at birth. It can take a lifetime of dedicated practice to accomplish that. And that may not be enough time. That's one of the reasons Daoist practices focussed so much on extending the physical lifespan - to get more time to practice.

The value of the tongue on the roof of the mouth is highly overstated. It helps, but if it were that easy to revert to the pre-birth condition, well, everybody could it, lol.

That said, instead of straining and pressing the tongue upward, try just relaxing the jaw and tongue. The tongue swells up a bit and it slides forward, touching the upper palate all on its own.

The main side-effect of pressing the tip of your tongue upward all through the day would probably be a cramped jaw which can resonate negatively through the entire body.

One aspect of this practice that doesn't get a lot of attention is the build-up of Qigong saliva. Think of it as your own, custom-made super healing elixir and swallow it consciously deep down.

Remember this one:

"That said, instead of straining and pressing the tongue upward, try just relaxing the jaw and tongue. The tongue swells up a bit and it slides forward, touching the upper palate all on its own. "

Very true - and you can do it all the waking hours easily.

• Like 2