hajimesaito

Level of Chi/Relaxation and the tone of the voice

I have always observed great variation in the tone of my voice in different times. Sometimes its quite heavy and at other times it is of a higher pitch. Whenever I am lazy, tired, stiff etc, my voice tends to be of a higher frequency and also it seems like I have to use greater effort to speak consistently. On the other hand, during times when my mind is peaceful, body is relaxed, and there is no laziness, my voice becomes more heavier and smoother it takes much lesser effort to speak. Another thing is that my speech becomes more intellectual whenever I am more relaxed and energetic, unlike the times of stiffness and laziness when my way of speaking reflects lesser clarity and sometimes I even forget the words which I should use.

In other words, it seems that the tone of my voice (of anyone's voice for that matter), could be used as a measure of the Chi inside my body (or the quality of it). What are your opinions about it?

Absolutely. In Chinese medicine we even talk about different qualities associated with imbalances different aspects of the five phases or various internal organs. Commonly, I've found that people with a "groan" in their voice pretty consistently have some sort of Kidney qi deficiency, and people who "shout" their words have exuberant energy which often has to do with repressed anger. So you can go really refined with this stuff.

But it's also the case that the quality of the voice has a bit more to do with the health of the lungs, so keep it in that context (while also acknowledging that the health of the lungs correlate to other organs such as the heart, digestive system, etc.).

I've heard that in some southern Chinese martial arts like Choy Li Fut and Hung Gar, the practitioners utilise different sounds while performing their exercises and forms so as to manipulate their Chi. Is it true?

I think the way we talk is also directly related to the standard of our chi within the body. Perhaps that is how the masters and experts of old could sense the level of Chi (or spirit) just be examining their ways of talking.

I've heard that in some southern Chinese martial arts like Choy Li Fut and Hung Gar, the practitioners utilise different sounds while performing their exercises and forms so as to manipulate their Chi. Is it true?

yes do in hung gar and a few other systems. not unlike using healing sounds.

I think the way we talk is also directly related to the standard of our chi within the body. Perhaps that is how the masters and experts of old could sense the level of Chi (or spirit) just be examining their ways of talking.

What is sound? Vibration. We do use different sounds in manipulating energy in medical qigong.

A comprehensive book on this subject is Sound Medicine by Wayne Perry. He covers the functions of the voice (vibration, generation, resonation, articulation), range and pitch, vocal registers, vocal quality (timbre, texture, volume, enunciation, delivery, flow, attitute/spirit), voice control exercises, vocal maturity, elements of the voice, etc

After reading it, I could understand why someone like Eckhart Tolle sounds so trippy (he's functioning from the etheric element/higher chakras), whereas someone like Marilyn Monroe is so overly breathy (water voice, sex chakra). Oh, and the overtoning exercises are great for mental clarity.

"The voice is not only indicative of man's character, but is the expression of his spirit." Hazrat Inayat Khan

A comprehensive book on this subject is Sound Medicine by Wayne Perry. He covers the functions of the voice (vibration, generation, resonation, articulation), range and pitch, vocal registers, vocal quality (timbre, texture, volume, enunciation, delivery, flow, attitute/spirit), voice control exercises, vocal maturity, elements of the voice, etc

After reading it, I could understand why someone like Eckhart Tolle sounds so trippy (he's functioning from the etheric element/higher chakras), whereas someone like Marilyn Monroe is so overly breathy (water voice, sex chakra). Oh, and the overtoning exercises are great for mental clarity.

"The voice is not only indicative of man's character, but is the expression of his spirit." Hazrat Inayat Khan

Kameel this sounds so interesting a book, and I know I would never manage to read it, so for once I'm going to save my pennies and ask something . If you have it in your heart to give us more examples of voice types we all know and the concommitent organ condition, I would be fascinated.

I have noticed many times my own voice changing according to practices and level of practice, and how safe I feel. It's very interesting. I think we instinctively know a huge amount about someone from their voice, and it isnt a conscious knowledge. I'd love to get it more conscious.

last year, an acupuncturist friend of mine called our house and got the answering machine, with my voice on the recording. he hadn't seen me or treated me in over a year. he left a message and at the end said, "oh and by the way, whoever recorded that message is kidney yin deficient". i was surprised, as i didn't think of myself as kidney yin deficient. sure enough, when he came over and treated me, my pulses confirmed it. i couldn't believe he knew right away from me saying a single sentence on my answering machine!

Kameel this sounds so interesting a book, and I know I would never manage to read it, so for once I'm going to save my pennies and ask something . If you have it in your heart to give us more examples of voice types we all know and the concommitent organ condition, I would be fascinated.

I have noticed many times my own voice changing according to practices and level of practice, and how safe I feel. It's very interesting. I think we instinctively know a huge amount about someone from their voice, and it isnt a conscious knowledge. I'd love to get it more conscious.

Cat,

I am no expert on the subject, and it has been about a year since I read the book, but a few examples come to mind. Also this map fits more the Japanese godai and ayurvedic than pure Chinese (though there is some overlap). James Earl Ray (the African American actor, not the guy with all the recent problems) is a good example of earth. Jeff Buckley for heart/air (singing voice, but also talking- listen to an interview sometime, I am sure there are some on youtube). And any fierce competitor with disciplined willpower will do for fire. Edit-maybe not any (not Mike Tyson, think more Harvey from Celebrity Boot Camp- he is prototypical fire voice).

The book is filled with insightful exercises, but one you could try now is to take the vowel sound "ah" and say it with as many emotional states as you can think of (excited, happy, joyful, sorrow, sad, angry, orgasmic, relaxed, calm, humorous, etc). Then sense where you feel each in your body, and what else you may become aware of. Bye for now. :)

Edited by Kameel

Thanks for answering Kameel.

:)

I like the 'ah' exercise, it's a good one for body awareness, nice and simple and effective.

Immortal Sister, that is a v. good acupuncturist!

When I would go to the acupuncturist, I'd start hearing my own voice as I was speaking to them ... and I had no sophisticated sense of my imbalances but I'd know I didnt sound balanced..

Cool thread!

I am pretty sensitive to voices esthetically and emotionally. There's several types that affect me the most:

1. Positively -- very low, deep, resonant male voices. (A perfect example: Leonard Cohen.) They seem to smooth out my own qi and induce serenity and peace of mind.

2. Negatively -- high-pitched, chirping, childish voices in adult women. In general voices that are not congruent with age... but little-girl-emulating adult women are the hardest on my ears. Their voices feel like sha' arrows.

3. Positively -- strong, calm, singsong female voices. They energize me and make me optimistic and confident.

4. Negatively -- "tough" authoritative male voices with drama-queen exaggerated modulations. (Drill sergeant type.) They infuriate and depress me.

I can "fall in love at first sound" rather than "at first sight." What does it say about me?:)

I can "fall in love at first sound" rather than "at first sight." What does it say about me?:)

Well that reminded me of Fran from Black Books in S01E05 http://blackhumourtv.blogspot.com/2009/09/black-books-s01e05-big-lock-out.html A bit annoying to navigate but worth it to find Fran listening to silky-voiced Howell Granger (Peter Serafinowicz) reading the shipping forecast on the radio. Classic.

I do love Black Books, perhaps one day I'll have that sort of bookshop :D I already look like Manny :lol:

Absolutely. In Chinese medicine we even talk about different qualities associated with imbalances different aspects of the five phases or various internal organs. Commonly, I've found that people with a "groan" in their voice pretty consistently have some sort of Kidney qi deficiency, and people who "shout" their words have exuberant energy which often has to do with repressed anger. So you can go really refined with this stuff.

But it's also the case that the quality of the voice has a bit more to do with the health of the lungs, so keep it in that context (while also acknowledging that the health of the lungs correlate to other organs such as the heart, digestive system, etc.).

How about people who laugh or chuckle with almost every sentence?

Your voice will change depending on where you are breathing.

Try putting attention in your throat - you will sound like you are swallowing your words.

Move your attention to your chest, heart and hear the tone change - feel the constriction.

Then put your attention on your tan tien for your natural voice.

Stand in a relaxed posture - attention on your tan tien and sing ahhh

and you might be surprised at the depth and richness of your voice

and how long you can sustain it

Cool thread!

I am pretty sensitive to voices esthetically and emotionally. There's several types that affect me the most:

1. Positively -- very low, deep, resonant male voices. (A perfect example: Leonard Cohen.) They seem to smooth out my own qi and induce serenity and peace of mind.

2. Negatively -- high-pitched, chirping, childish voices in adult women. In general voices that are not congruent with age... but little-girl-emulating adult women are the hardest on my ears. Their voices feel like sha' arrows.

3. Positively -- strong, calm, singsong female voices. They energize me and make me optimistic and confident.

4. Negatively -- "tough" authoritative male voices with drama-queen exaggerated modulations. (Drill sergeant type.) They infuriate and depress me.

Well, Leonard Cohen has a deep earth voice. And he phrases his speech and songs very slowly. Hypnotherapists note that the subconscious moves about four times slower than the conscious mind (for most people). So he is unconsciously working in that tempo, and the monotone deep resonance contributes. There is a reason people consider him a romantic singer. If I had to guess, I'd venture that you exhibit somnambulist qualities (going very deep very quickly).

As far as the auditory preference (over visual), this is relatively common with wise spiritual women. Kinesthetic and auditory pathways will typically dominate over visual.

Well that reminded me of Fran from Black Books in S01E05 http://blackhumourtv...g-lock-out.html A bit annoying to navigate but worth it to find Fran listening to silky-voiced Howell Granger (Peter Serafinowicz) reading the shipping forecast on the radio. Classic.

I do love Black Books, perhaps one day I'll have that sort of bookshop :D I already look like Manny :lol:

Thanks for the link, it was pretty funny! I'm not as extreme as Fran...:blush: ...and I hope you're not as extreme as Manny :lol:

Well, Leonard Cohen has a deep earth voice. And he phrases his speech and songs very slowly. Hypnotherapists note that the subconscious moves about four times slower than the conscious mind (for most people). So he is unconsciously working in that tempo, and the monotone deep resonance contributes. There is a reason people consider him a romantic singer. If I had to guess, I'd venture that you exhibit somnambulist qualities (going very deep very quickly).

As far as the auditory preference (over visual), this is relatively common with wise spiritual women. Kinesthetic and auditory pathways will typically dominate over visual.

Very interesting! Deep earth, eh? it's like extreme yang flipping over to yin, so his voice is on the Mysterious Border between the manifest and the unmanifest, the taomiao... it does have a hypnotic quality.

Yup, "very deep very quickly" 'R Us. And kinesthetic- (#2) and auditory- (#3) dominant, after #1 -- olfactory sensitivity (what I really fall for is pheromones.:lol:) This last part may not be as spiritual as all that, but biologically correct.:)

It's funny how if I am attracted to someone I want to smell their neck up close. I love the feeling of that kind of wanting, it is no-mind instinctual in such a pure way.

btw, not just randomly associating...I'm answering to TaoMeow's mentioning pheromones. Here's a voice that suggests to me a truly sniffable neck - this is the first voice outside my family that I ever recognised, as a child.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuPO2Kvqlms

Mal.. I LOVE that programme so much it is pure delight.

(I have forgotten how to embed vids, sorry.)