z00se

The sound of one hand clapping

I used to read Koans when i was young but came up with many different answers or thought of what it could be. I've read that even the wisest Zen teacher cannot tell you your own answer. You must find it for yourself, and not in your mind, and not in the comfort of a rational response. Once experienced, the answer is often a life changing experience, and needs no confirmation from anyone else. So since there can be many different answers and this is a cultivating forum i figure theres no better place to ask for answers to the very famous question....

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

My most recent answer is... There is only ever ONE hand clapping - only one that can do anything. Everything is ONE. Even in an apparent audience of many different people clapping (clapping in unison or 'separately') that is still the sound of one hand clapping. The many many things turn into 5, then to 3, then to 2, then to 1. There is no separation only one.

I also like the slap around the face answer hehe.

Guest paul walter

My most recent answer is... There is only ever ONE hand clapping - only one that can do anything. Everything is ONE. Even in an apparent audience of many different people clapping (clapping in unison or 'separately') that is still the sound of one hand clapping. The many many things turn into 5, then to 3, then to 2, then to 1. There is no separation only one.

If you were next to me I'd give you a real beating (with one hand). Hope that helps. Paul.

The sound of one hand clapping is the sound a hand makes when it completes a cycle and meets itself. It means "hurray! I'm not alone!"

Much like the Mayan "hello," in lak'ech -- "I am another you!"

I used to read Koans when i was young but came up with many different answers or thought of what it could be. I've read that even the wisest Zen teacher cannot tell you your own answer. You must find it for yourself, and not in your mind, and not in the comfort of a rational response. Once experienced, the answer is often a life changing experience, and needs no confirmation from anyone else. So since there can be many different answers and this is a cultivating forum i figure theres no better place to ask for answers to the very famous question....

At 88 years old, my grandmother said, "the sound was lonliness". I asked her why - she said it was the sound one child made when looking for another.

She had 12 children.

nothing

best_gift_ever.jpg

p.s. I really enjoyed the loneliness / not alone answers :)

The sound of one hand clapping can be any sound one wishes it to be.

Yes, I often use the term 'a good slap aside the head'. Always reminds me of the Zen Buddhist monk teacher who walks behind the students and occasionally gives one a slap accross the back with his cane pole.

Peace & Love!

Very interesting interpretations.

Well anyways, the answer is the ego according to Bill Bodri.

Edited by fizix

The sound is pretty similar to a normal 2 hand clap, only much lower in volume and a bit duller.

I know because I can clap with 1 hand. Seriously, its really easy you just send your fingers into your palm fast.

Im enlightened.

I mean seriously, if someone asks you whats the sound of a whistle your just going to think about it and not whistle?

Take your hand and one hand clap it right in the face of whoever asked you that koan. You look like a dick for thinking about it.

Hmmm, One Hand Clapping, That's a Tough One.

by Sarnyn

I know the sound of one hand fapping,

I know the sound of ass cheeks clapping,

I'm embraased to say that one hot day

I learned the sound of a burro crapping,

I even know the anxious sound of an

impatient man whose tap tap tapping,

but as for the sound of one hand clapping,

i'd have to lose my mental trappings,

I'd have to run a desperate race

and find in my adversaries place

it's me who tripped and skid my face,

and as my fragile worlds collapsing,

I'll see it's me that I've been lapping!

there's none but me, no referee or band,

no single child, woman or man,

I'm all alone in wonderland!

suddenly awake I'll find that I've been napping

I'd find my mind free of wrappings,

and erupting from the empty stands,

I hear the sound of one hand clapping.

the sound of one hand clappin is....

the sound of one hand clapping. you just mistake it for silence.

if it has the sound of something else then its not the sound of the hand

It sounds like someone moaning because they wish that they never got into that car accident which led to them loose their arm :P

I had the similar thought that a clapping hand is always alone. Then I got curious and put the question on my facebook and a friend answered "Gross". I stared at it baffled but laughed. Totally different answer than I was expecting.

This is a question about the stretch that is already in existence as consciousness takes place, and the activity out of that stretch; s'trick question, because of the word "sound". Here's a trick answer, from P'u-hua, to the sound of a bat no ball homering:

When they come in the light, I hit them in the light;

When they come in the dark, I hit them in the dark.

(“Dogen’s Manuals of Zen Meditation”, Carl Bielefeldt, pg 156, ©1988 Regents of the University of California)

P'u-hua is a bit heavy when he claps one-handed, wouldn't you say? :) Not that he does.

Edited by Mark Foote