Sign in to follow this  
Quillan Camper

Slightly spooky stuff ...

Hello! I was wondering if anybody out there has had a recent "supernatural" thingie to report. Mine tend to be very small stuff but I quite like them. One of my girlfriend's long, straight, black hairs mysteriously pierced itself through the cotton sheet of our duvet (comforter) the other day. The soft hair penetrated the top sheet, traveled a inch of two the other side and came out again so both ends were equal in length. You could tug on them like fairy shoe laces. I have photographs of this. I am occasionally reminded by minor weirdness that there is absolutely no reason I can see why anything should exist. But something does exist, as I can see. What is it? In other words, why is there something rather than nothing? I'm dying to know.

Maybe I will when I'm dead. What d'you reckon?

Hello! I was wondering if anybody out there has had a recent "supernatural" thingie to report. Mine tend to be very small stuff but I quite like them. One of my girlfriend's long, straight, black hairs mysteriously pierced itself through the cotton sheet of our duvet (comforter) the other day. The soft hair penetrated the top sheet, traveled a inch of two the other side and came out again so both ends were equal in length. You could tug on them like fairy shoe laces. I have photographs of this. I am occasionally reminded by minor weirdness that there is absolutely no reason I can see why anything should exist. But something does exist, as I can see. What is it? In other words, why is there something rather than nothing? I'm dying to know.

Maybe I will when I'm dead. What d'you reckon?

I reckon I should tell you that there is a natural explanation for everything that happens. Sure, sometimes we cannot see or understand the explanation but there is one none-the-less. There is no such thing as 'supernatural'. If it can't happen naturally it just can't happen. That's the way life is.

Peace & Love!

I reckon I should tell you that there is a natural explanation for everything that happens. Sure, sometimes we cannot see or understand the explanation but there is one none-the-less. There is no such thing as 'supernatural'. If it can't happen naturally it just can't happen. That's the way life is.

Peace & Love!

I like how you think.

Please expand on this...

I would love to hear more!

I like how you think.

Please expand on this...

I would love to hear more!

I sent you a PM. If you think it might add something to this discussion you are welcome to post it in this thread.

Peace & Love!

Peace & Love!

John Keats said that "philosophy (rationalism) will clip an angel's wings". It were a pity if "there is a natural explanation for everything that happens". I don't intuit that this is true. I would feel uncomfortable living in a world where someone has, or will have, an explanation for everything. Who? Mum and Dad? Nobel laureate scientists? Priests, pastors and gurus? People who claim with total conviction, "That's the way life is." End of story? Indeed, that would be the end of the story for such adamant believers. I'm with Groucho Marx who said, "I wouldn't want to join any club that would accept me as a member." I wouldn't wish to live in a world where everything could be explained to me, even if I can't understand it. Fortunately, I am an old timer of very little brain so I shall never "understand" the mysterious or "supernatural" stuff of life so I shall always be safe from another person's "explanation". Phew!

Peace & Love!

"Supernatural" things are just "natural" things that we haven't come to understand yet :P

Clarke's third law, right?

"Supernatural" things are just "natural" things that we haven't come to understand yet :P

Clarke's third law, right?

Never heard it phrased that way before but I'll buy it.

Peace & Love!

John Keats said that "philosophy (rationalism) will clip an angel's wings". It were a pity if "there is a natural explanation for everything that happens". I don't intuit that this is true. I would feel uncomfortable living in a world where someone has, or will have, an explanation for everything. Who? Mum and Dad? Nobel laureate scientists? Priests, pastors and gurus? People who claim with total conviction, "That's the way life is." End of story? Indeed, that would be the end of the story for such adamant believers. I'm with Groucho Marx who said, "I wouldn't want to join any club that would accept me as a member." I wouldn't wish to live in a world where everything could be explained to me, even if I can't understand it. Fortunately, I am an old timer of very little brain so I shall never "understand" the mysterious or "supernatural" stuff of life so I shall always be safe from another person's "explanation". Phew!

Hi Quillan,

I fully understand what you are saying and actually agree (in my own terms).

But understanding does not need to remove any of the beauty and wonder of it all. Just because I can fully understand all the components of a thing, who they are assembled, and how it functions when all parts are in place and properly functioning does not remove any of the beauty and wonder of the thing itself.

That is one of the keys of Taoist Philosophy. To understand and wonder at the 'parts' and always remember that they are 'parts' of the Whole.

Just last night I watched a documentary of the Monarch Butterfly. What a fantastic process from egg to caterpiller to butterfly. And in the butterfly stage many of them make a journey of over 2,000 miles from Canada to Mexico. And they make this journey in less than two months!

There is so much beauty and wonder in the universe there really is no reason to add anything artificial to it. And the information to be know about it is unlimited (Heheh. I just had to use that word.) and I doubt that humans will ever understand all of it. As it is, each time we answer one question three or more questions are raised by the new knowledge we have attained.

Peace & Love!

Sign in to follow this