Mal

Moon Phase and Menstruation

There have been some good posts about Moon phase and Menstruation.

I'd like to learn more. Now I don't pay a LOT of attention, perhaps I should, as someone I know has a cycle that in the past was not 28 days (seems to vary, was ~36days as a teenager) but was occuring on the full moon recently. Now 1st day or menstration was 26th Jan.

So .....err....well that's about it, educated me on health - menstruation relations and perhaps relationship to shift work.

(I'm up to speed with tertiary level western scientific explanations and hormonal level changes)

All I "know" is that as a boy I apparently have (noticeable by significant others) cyclic fluctuations in my moods and horniness levels too :lol: and I've noticed the horniness when ovulating link.

this is something i have studied quite a bit in the last year and experimented with myself. but you ask many questions in your post and i could go a thousand directions and write for hours frankly, because this is one of my favorite topics :) if you ask a few specific questions i will gladly share what i know and have experienced!

blessings..

ps. funny that you mention knowing someone that was ovulating on the full moon for several months but now started their cycle (their menstruation) a few days ago. this just happened to me too!

Edited by immortal_sister

I'm easily confused due to my male cultural training on this subject and I may have confused you.

The lady in question was starting the 1st day of her period with the full moon, so ovulating around about new moon (14 days later) This has now changed to just before this current full moon.

I'll use a picture that I'm familure with to clarify my "1st day"

500px-MenstrualCycle2_en.svg.png

The post that got me thinking about this was this one

A bit that's not taught in the west that I learned in China

Women's menstral cycle happens around the same time each month.

Beginning with the full moon - they get sexually active according to their state of health.

If you can remember the calendar day of your good experience, go find her a few days before the same day.

If you've lost the date, full moon is on the 29 of Jan - I use this Chinese Lunar calendar http://www.lunarcal.org/

A woman will peak about 7 days after full moon - which - also means that this is her best time to make a baby.

As a woman's physical health declines - her perod generaly becomes later after her normal starting point.

My specific "worry" was the reference to declining physical health. Now this lady has never had a steady 28 day cycle, except when she was on birth control pills in her 20's. It's often a longer cycle. But I'm not marking a big X on a calendar so my recollection could be wrong there :lol: (or just out of date) the full moon was easy to remember as I would be looking at it as she went to work at midnight complaining about cramping.

She is now 36 and I do worry about her health as she is a shift worker, lots of stress and not much good food or exercise. So not sure if I have a specific question :lol:

My specific "worry" was the reference to declining physical health. Now this lady has never had a steady 28 day cycle, except when she was on birth control pills in her 20's. It's often a longer cycle. But I'm not marking a big X on a calendar so my recollection could be wrong there :lol: (or just out of date) the full moon was easy to remember as I would be looking at it as she went to work at midnight complaining about cramping.

She is now 36 and I do worry about her health as she is a shift worker, lots of stress and not much good food or exercise. So not sure if I have a specific question :lol:

There are so many factors that can influence the timing of the menstrual cycle that it's almost impossible to pinpoint any one thing. A weight gain or loss, increased or decreased levels of exercise, or increased or decreased levels of sexual activity can all play a role in my experience. Perhaps a change in sleeping patterns can, too, though I hadn't really thought about it until just now.

I'd say the shift work and stress are much more important reasons to worry about her health than the change in her menstrual cycle, the more so since you mention that her periods haven't been particularly regular over the course of her reproductive life anyway.

I'm easily confused due to my male cultural training on this subject and I may have confused you.

The lady in question was starting the 1st day of her period with the full moon, so ovulating around about new moon (14 days later) This has now changed to just before this current full moon.

I'll use a picture that I'm familure with to clarify my "1st day"

yes yes, the first day of the menstruation is day 1 of the cycle. i'm sorry i didn't read your post properly, i thought you meant she was ovulating on the full moon, not starting her period on the full moon. so you are saying she is now starting a few days earlier than before, right? got it.

The post that got me thinking about this was this one

A bit that's not taught in the west that I learned in China

Women's menstral cycle happens around the same time each month.

Beginning with the full moon - they get sexually active according to their state of health.

If you can remember the calendar day of your good experience, go find her a few days before the same day.

If you've lost the date, full moon is on the 29 of Jan - I use this Chinese Lunar calendar http://www.lunarcal.org/

A woman will peak about 7 days after full moon - which - also means that this is her best time to make a baby.

As a woman's physical health declines - her perod generaly becomes later after her normal starting point.

ok, i have several thoughts about this. many things in this short post are wrong, actually. not all women menstruate or ovulate around the same time as each other. and it is not uncommon for cycles to vary slightly from one month to another, have a few more days one time, a few days less the next. this is not inherently a bad thing or a health concern. it can be, but many things can cause a cycle's length to chance, stress, diet, travel, etc. the idea of the perfect, never changing 28 day cycle with ovulation on day 14 is far more rare than most people realize.

i have no idea where the statement that a woman peaks 7 days after the full moon comes from, but it makes no sense at all :blink: yes, by default, if a woman is very regular, she will most likely ovulate/menstruate around the same phase of the moon every month, simply because our cycle is about the same length as the cycle of the moon. however, most modern people are affected by far too many environmental factors to actually feel the influence of the moon on their menstrual cycles.

in a completely "natural" setting, where a woman is never exposed to artificial light, women actually ovulate on the full moon and menstruate on the new moon / dark moon. the reason for this is that unlike most other mammals who are solar ovulators (meaning, they become fertile according to the length of days), we are lunar ovulators. we are actually affected by exposure to light during our sleep, not daytime; our pineal gland responds to light while we sleep and produces hormones accordingly, starting with melatonin (people who suffer from insomnia should consider sleeping in complete darkness to increase healthy melatonin production, for example) and down the line to all our major sexual hormones. and in a natural setting, the only time night lighting would occur would be around the full moon. so, as the moon waxes, a woman's fertility would increase and would peak at or around the full moon. the statement above about a woman's fertility being highest after the full moon is incorrect.

none of this means that light exposure is necessary for ovulation, or that a woman is by default fertile around the full moon. but it does mean that we are / can be sensitive to these things, that is how we are built, but this knowledge is mostly lost in our culture. sorry for the long post, i warned you this was one of my obsessions :blush:

like the previous poster wrote, shift work, bad diet and stress are a far bigger concern than a varying cycle length. and could possibly be the cause of any cycle changes that are occurring. having a "late period", or early period for that matter, is not a cause for concern, unless there are other things going on, or unless the cycle length is extreme (really short cycles all the time, or 50+ day cycles, etc). i would disregard the statement about the declining health and the later periods. in fact, most women approaching menopause have shorter cycles, not longer.

Not quiet what your talking about... but something interesting none the less.

My wife knows a girl who has 2 wombs! 2 periods every month, 2pms's! Feel sorry for her husband hehe

She went to a chinese medicine doctor though who managed to make both periods occur at the same time.

Not quiet what your talking about... but something interesting none the less.

My wife knows a girl who has 2 wombs! 2 periods every month, 2pms's! Feel sorry for her husband hehe

She went to a chinese medicine doctor though who managed to make both periods occur at the same time.

I've been told that the Buddhist nuns practice a form of meditation that stops their menustration...

Know anything about it?

A Female Dr's visit may be a good idea as a bit of change may be in order. It sounds to me to be coming from one of the 4 points: "shift worker, lots of stress and not much good food or exercise" that you've mentioned.

~~

Hypnosis and Meditation are very closely related - Something you can try at home could be from this webpage: http://pleasureamplifier.sensualwriter.com/?page_id=39 (There's a bit of psycological side to the web site as well as a Very Kinky side too.. :P )

If it works - the problem may be from her not being able to relax from the shift work. Diet is a biggie too... Here's a bit of a toy that I like to play with: http://www.rawfoods.com/ :wub:

Edited by ~jK~

zOOSe, i have heard of such things, fascinating isn't it? i wonder what that means in terms of energetics!!...

jK, yes buddhist nuns and taoists too know practices to stop menstruation. it appears to be a fairly well guarded secret, i have been trying to learn about it, but information is not easy to come by. it seems that a combination of qigong practices and certain herbs help attain this state. i have pondered what that meant on a physical level, what fluctuations on the hormonal level occur for this to take place in a "healthy" way (as lack of menstruation could be a very unhealthy state).

zOOSe, i have heard of such things, fascinating isn't it? i wonder what that means in terms of energetics!!...

jK, yes buddhist nuns and taoists too know practices to stop menstruation. it appears to be a fairly well guarded secret, i have been trying to learn about it, but information is not easy to come by. it seems that a combination of qigong practices and certain herbs help attain this state. i have pondered what that meant on a physical level, what fluctuations on the hormonal level occur for this to take place in a "healthy" way (as lack of menstruation could be a very unhealthy state).

:)

The female deer exercises will stop menstruation. They regulate or "trick" the body into thinking it is pregnant and nursing. Once you read the link you below at UmaaTantra.com you will immediately know why if you know about hormonal feed back loop in females.

There is a female abbott in China who teaches a two week class on the female mysteries on site at the monastery. I was going to go with a group of women and study with her but life intervened.

You can get in contact with SIfu Bernard Shannon and ask him if he plans to take another group of women over there again in the future. The abbot objected to him going at first because he was male but since he was going to be the translator he was allowed to go.

http://www.chinesewudangboxing.com/aboutus.htm

Looking at the schedule of the school that he is head of I don't see it on his schedule this year but that does not mean it won't happen. I would write his school directly and ask if they plan to take a class to china to study the female mysteries again.

Email

[email protected]

Request business-related information, such as class dates or content.

He has someone else answer his email for him because his schedule is so busy but they will get back to you as soon as they can.

for explanation and further info on female deer exercises:

http://www.umaatantra.com/female_deer_exercise.html

snip

like the previous poster wrote, shift work, bad diet and stress are a far bigger concern than a varying cycle length. and could possibly be the cause of any cycle changes that are occurring. having a "late period", or early period for that matter, is not a cause for concern, unless there are other things going on, or unless the cycle length is extreme (really short cycles all the time, or 50+ day cycles, etc). i would disregard the statement about the declining health and the later periods. in fact, most women approaching menopause have shorter cycles, not longer.

I would agree since for most of my adult professional life as a Registered Nurse (now on about 25 years) I worked evening shift predominately. That would be 12 hours, 7pm to 7AM consistently for years. Sometimes I worked 18-20 hours a shift because of the nursing shortage. My reasons for doing so were fairly banal, a large shift differential (more money) and no management to bug me.

It wasn't till I started making the change to a more normal sleep wake cycle in 2000 that I realized how much damage I had done to myself. When younger my strong prenatal chi carried me through. Now, I can't do the 70 to 82 work weeks like used to regularly. I also worked in critical care areas which are extremely high stress both physically, emotionally, and mentally.

Life may have been different had I a regular practice of qigong but I didn't. What kept me doing that for so long was it was meaningful and intellectually challenging and I loved working with the kind of people that I did, both staff and patients. I specialized in the care of heart patients, those who had open heart surgery, heart attacks, etc. I would say if that type of feedback is not available in a job then with all the other stresses it is time to find a new line of work as soon as possible. To do something punishing with some kind of reward is less difficult than one without. Even saying that I eventually had to leave hospital nursing for about 8 years because the stress was killing me. It was probably killing me years earlier but I waited until symptoms of like PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) started showing it's face.

If there are menstrual irregularities it most likely is from the effects of the stress. I am basing this statement on the assumption that organic internal causes have been ruled out.

The role of stress cannot be significantly over played in women's hormonal effects. In my studies in infertility treatment by using adjunct treatments of herbs, acupuncuture, diet, etc. and in my conversations with some TCM practitioners and TCM docs women's hormone imbalances are effectively treated by TCM and medical qigong prescriptive therapies. One female acupuncturist from China that I have the privilege of knowing has told me privately that 100% of the women who come to her for infertility treatments will conceive within three months. For obvious reasons she cannot advertise that. This is if there is not a functional blockage like blocked fallopian tubes. She said "American women have too much stress." They often have what is called a "cold" uterus. So bringing balance and harmony to the body causes the body to become fertile.

Acupuncture, herbs, diet, lifestyle modification work well. Prescriptive medical qigong will work also with herbs, diet, and lifestyle modification. Lifestyle modification includes adding meditation practice and change of environment and in relationships.

I would agree since for most of my adult professional life as a Registered Nurse (now on about 25 years) I worked evening shift predominately. That would be 12 hours, 7pm to 7AM consistently for years. Sometimes I worked 18-20 hours a shift because of the nursing shortage. My reasons for doing so were fairly banal, a large shift differential (more money) and no management to bug me.

Same reasons for my friend as her night shifts pays much better, removes stupid management hassles, and leaves the daytime open for study at uni.

<Sniping bit out>

When younger my strong prenatal chi carried me through. Now, I can't do the 70 to 82 work weeks like used to regularly.

<snip>

Even saying that I eventually had to leave hospital nursing for about 8 years because the stress was killing me. It was probably killing me years earlier but I waited until symptoms of like PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) started showing it's face.

Pretty much the same, the shift work is really taking a tole on general energy levels, much more so that in her 20's. High blood pressure and exhaustion with general lack of "enjoyment" in life. This weeks work event has left her with a PTSD diagnosis and a course of SSRI's to help with her mental health. :(

The female deer exercises will stop menstruation. They regulate or "trick" the body into thinking it is pregnant and nursing. Once you read the link you below at UmaaTantra.com you will immediately know why if you know about hormonal feed back loop in females.

There is a female abbott in China who teaches a two week class on the female mysteries on site at the monastery. I was going to go with a group of women and study with her but life intervened.

You can get in contact with SIfu Bernard Shannon and ask him if he plans to take another group of women over there again in the future. The abbot objected to him going at first because he was male but since he was going to be the translator he was allowed to go.

http://www.chinesewu...com/aboutus.htm

Looking at the schedule of the school that he is head of I don't see it on his schedule this year but that does not mean it won't happen. I would write his school directly and ask if they plan to take a class to china to study the female mysteries again.

Email

[email protected]

Request business-related information, such as class dates or content.

He has someone else answer his email for him because his schedule is so busy but they will get back to you as soon as they can.

for explanation and further info on female deer exercises:

http://www.umaatantr...r_exercise.html

thank you for the information. i am familiar with the female deer exercises. those have always been said to increase fertility though (as is also stated on the page you linked to), not cause infertility / stop menstruation. i practice a variation of that regularly, and love sitting in siddhasana.

would the deer exercises help release enough oxytocin in of itself to stop the hormonal feedback loop? hmm seems like the amount of practice needed to allow this exercise alone to trick the body into thinking it is pregnant would be huge. i can only assume the herbs often taken by women who practice "slaying the red dragon" must play a significant role in this too. i have personally experienced the early stages of beginning to reverse that hormonal process via herbs alone; it was an accidental discovery, but it was highly effective.

either way, at this point in my life that is not a practice i am interested in - i am trying to enhance my fertility, not diminish it :blush: but thank you for the links, i would certainly consider learning this and even going to china to learn someday! let me know if you ever plan a trip, i'm in!

I don't know if I would want to trick my body. The female body follows a life cycle every month that goes through destruction and creation. This allows you to renew yourself every month. If your body thinks its pregnant all the time then you never renew yourself and your body and mind get confused. I don't know what ovarian breathing does but its suppost to help stop menstruation too and I've been trying that and its been lessening the symptoms so far, but technically I haven't been too stressed either.

I don't know if I would want to trick my body. The female body follows a life cycle every month that goes through destruction and creation. This allows you to renew yourself every month. If your body thinks its pregnant all the time then you never renew yourself and your body and mind get confused. I don't know what ovarian breathing does but its suppost to help stop menstruation too and I've been trying that and its been lessening the symptoms so far, but technically I haven't been too stressed either.

Nice Fox !

I shared a tent with a fox one night - I guess it thought I was less os a danger than the pack of dogs that were chasing it. Since that night the fox's of the forrest have not ran when I walk the trails. I've heard that they can smell a gun for some distance away but I think they can feel people that ain't right. Birds say hi to me too.

There have been some good posts about Moon phase and Menstruation.

All I "know" is that as a boy I apparently have (noticeable by significant others) cyclic fluctuations in my moods and horniness levels too :lol: and I've noticed the horniness when ovulating link.

WoW Mal, you've attracted more girly types (On the net we never know -_- ) by mooning them than I've seen since I been hanging around this place.

But hey - I didn't know you were a 28 day type of guy... When I get up in the mornin I have to wait 'till it goes down 'fore I go outside or they'll arrest me. And that's every day. For them complaining about the 28 day cycle - try going into heat every day - Sometimes twice if I eat a lot of Salad - heck - sometimes Sushi even does it to me ! :wub:

ovarian breathing can technically be used toward the purpose of stopping menstruation, as do many other techniques. used alone, i don't think it will by default have the action of stopping menstruation, but perhaps as part of other practices...

the point is not to trick your body, but to redirect the energies inside your body so as to not "waste" so much energy toward the production and maturation of eggs for ovulation to occur every month. the same way a man may practice semen retention in order to reduce the amount of energy loss in ejaculation (both practices aim to retain jing in order to use it to transmute into shen). now, with both practices, it can have negative side effects if not done properly... i am only assuming menstruation reduction can do that, i have never spoken to anyone directly who has practiced that, but from what i know of female fertility, it is a given. that is why there are many precise techniques to go along with such practices in order to properly redirect this new energy, that was previously used for the reproductive cycle. many hormonal imbalance can cause menstruation/ovulation to stop, or be greatly reduced, and this is not something to aim for, as it can cause long term health problems. its all about how it is done. and i imagine this balance is very fine when it comes to women, and is probably why this is not a practice that is taught widely or that you can just learn from a book.

Nice Fox !

I shared a tent with a fox one night - I guess it thought I was less os a danger than the pack of dogs that were chasing it. Since that night the fox's of the forrest have not ran when I walk the trails. I've heard that they can smell a gun for some distance away but I think they can feel people that ain't right. Birds say hi to me too.

Maybe you are a fox too? lol.

ovarian breathing can technically be used toward the purpose of stopping menstruation, as do many other techniques. used alone, i don't think it will by default have the action of stopping menstruation, but perhaps as part of other practices...

the point is not to trick your body, but to redirect the energies inside your body so as to not "waste" so much energy toward the production and maturation of eggs for ovulation to occur every month. the same way a man may practice semen retention in order to reduce the amount of energy loss in ejaculation (both practices aim to retain jing in order to use it to transmute into shen). now, with both practices, it can have negative side effects if not done properly... i am only assuming menstruation reduction can do that, i have never spoken to anyone directly who has practiced that, but from what i know of female fertility, it is a given. that is why there are many precise techniques to go along with such practices in order to properly redirect this new energy, that was previously used for the reproductive cycle. many hormonal imbalance can cause menstruation/ovulation to stop, or be greatly reduced, and this is not something to aim for, as it can cause long term health problems. its all about how it is done. and i imagine this balance is very fine when it comes to women, and is probably why this is not a practice that is taught widely or that you can just learn from a book.

Yeah. The reason I started ovarian breathing was because a friend said it would reduce the energy loss. I tried starting last year but didn't keep up so didn't feel any results. I just started again so won't see anything fully for 3 months. I don't care for stopping menstruation because I want to be able to appreciate the natural process our female bodies goes through. Even though it isn't fun at times lol.

But hey - I didn't know you were a 28 day type of guy... When I get up in the mornin I have to wait 'till it goes down 'fore I go outside or they'll arrest me.

Yep, me too, good practice habits make it stronger also. I would think I'm just horny all the time, but apparently I have a noticeable desire cycle too. Since my partner has really low libido her spike in desire from ovulation is quite noticeable. While the moon phase synchronisation was happening, it made that spike easy to predict too ;)

Mal,

I work the night shift too. It is bad for the health, *but* the extra bad effects

of doing this can be helped a lot by taking melatonin:

Night Shift Work Not Linked To Increased Risk Of Cancer: Contracts Earlier Study

(I think they mean contradicts not contracts)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070822154944.htm

Can Melatonin Improve Shift Workers' Tolerance of the Night Shift? Some Preliminary Findings

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a785866969

I take both melatonin and GABA to help me sleep in the daytime. I also

don't abuse myself by working long shifts, so I do ok. And I get

breaks in between trade shows.

Melatonin might help your friend, and coq10 can help with the blood pressure.

Coenzyme Q10 Information & Benefits

http://www.inspiredliving.com/heart-cardio/coQ10-benefits.htm

I've got health issues, and had to learn a lot to be able to manage things :).

HTH

Tyler

Hi Tyler,

Those look like good things for us to investigate, thanks for the help.

p.s. the lady in question is currently asleep on the floor as I type this :lol: She has a real habit at the moment of going to sleep around 6am or 6pm. While it's not sunrise/sunset it's pretty close.