Sign in to follow this  
Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that

Sarcasm And The Dao

I have been noticing a disturbing trend recently on the TaoBums, I'm not one to report anyone, but I have been deeply shocked to see people constantly pointing out certain peoples disability...yes, that's right.... the disability of 'sarcasm'.

Sarcasm is not a choice!!! It's a well known fact that the desire to be sarcastic is created by too much of a certain chemical in the brain, the brain chemical known as 'ectoplasm'.

Long time sufferers have extreme difficulty maintaining a normal conversation with others without being sarcastic, this is certainly not helped by the general population frequently finding such sarcastic comments wildly amusing, yet still remaining very ignorant of this illness.

Some of the most famous and successful people of our time have suffered from this disability ,and yet, against all odds, have managed to be successful and maintain normal and fulfilling relationships. Here are just a few:

Bill Clinton

Bill Hicks

and the list just goes on and on!

So please, the next time you look down upon a sufferer try to understand, Sarcasm is genetic. For those who have to live with a sufferer or simply to gain a broader understanding of this disability, I highly recommend the book 'The Joy Of Sarcasm', with wonderful illustration for the whole family to enjoy and a selection of sarcastic put downs for you to try on those dear to you.

Ninpo,

Do you feel that maybe sarcasm and masturbation go hand in hand so to speak?

A.

So please, the next time you look down upon a sufferer try to understand, Sarcasm is genetic. For those who have to live with a sufferer or simply to gain a broader understanding of this disability, I highly recommend the book 'The Joy Of Sarcasm', with wonderful illustration for the whole family to enjoy and a selection of sarcastic put downs for you to try on those dear to you.

lmao, too funny laugh.gif

Ninpo,

A.

of course they do :rolleyes:

:P

Sarcasm, in TCM, is a symptom of one or more of the Lesser Shens dysfunction or even of the Greater Shen obstruction. Yes, it can reach disabling proportions. Concurrent symptoms include an inability to look people in the eye, "buren states" (lack of empathy), overall coarseness and flattening of emotions, schizoid fragmentation of the associative process (i.e. reacting not to the meaning of communication but to a knee-jerk reflex that causes a particular word or image to trigger a sarcastic response... this is due to poor communication between the Shens and the resulting over-excitability of parts of the brain trying to compensate for the numbness of other parts) and, in severe cases, full-blown schizophrenia. Often it is also an early warning of a developing neuromuscular disorder (Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, MS). The good news is that the condition, when properly evaluated by a practitioner and caught early, before more severe symptoms begin to manifest, is often curable. In many instances herbs and acupuncture and elimination of neurotoxins form the diet will be enough. In severe cases, an OMD might refer the sufferer to a taoist priest if the cause is possession; the latter will perform exorcism.

Sarcasm, in TCM, is a symptom of one or more of the Lesser Shens dysfunction or even of the Greater Shen obstruction. Yes, it can reach disabling proportions. Concurrent symptoms include an inability to look people in the eye, "buren states" (lack of empathy), overall coarseness and flattening of emotions, schizoid fragmentation of the associative process (i.e. reacting not to the meaning of communication but to a knee-jerk reflex that causes a particular word or image to trigger a sarcastic response... this is due to poor communication between the Shens and the resulting over-excitability of parts of the brain trying to compensate for the numbness of other parts) and, in severe cases, full-blown schizophrenia. Often it is also an early warning of a developing neuromuscular disorder (Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, MS). The good news is that the condition, when properly evaluated by a practitioner and caught early, before more severe symptoms begin to manifest, is often curable. In many instances herbs and acupuncture and elimination of neurotoxins form the diet will be enough. In severe cases, an OMD might refer the sufferer to a taoist priest if the cause is possession; the latter will perform exorcism.

Ouch! I can see how serious it can be.

Well, you certainly caught me. As much as I try to remind my family about the virtues of "Right Speech" (Buddhist), I am frequently reminded of my capacity for this particular form of communication betrayal. It wasn't until about 2pm Los Angeles time that I connected the dots about why you took me to task in the other post. I would have been angered as well. I've always tended to live in my head and invest far more in the strategy of "maintaining cognitive hygiene," whatever that means, than with being cordial and kindhearted.

I'm coming out of a personal era of critical thinking, a practice laid down in college, and I am all for loosening the bounds of that keep physics and metaphysics separate. However, some could rightly argue that I am just now learning how to be less of a pedantic asshole, and am all for loosening those bounds, but according to my own terms. -_-

I've really failed to acknowledge the non-impirical element of Taoist and other esoteric arts, and have only given them creedence when I acquired a personal experience of the teachings. But I've completely throw humility out the window in the process. I'm really sorry. "Eternal Student" has gently reminded me that unusual experiences can be expected after you acquire the ability to pulsate your brow chakra at will. Perhaps I'm moving into an era where my personal dick-headedness is becoming easier to recognize. :o

Regards,

B

Edited by Blasto

Check out TTC 38 for the involution and evolution of this.

Under Red Pine's trans: Virtue --> kindness --> justice --> ritual

So then we start with ritual (following precepts) until we build our sense of fairness, then kindness begins to blossom.

Well, you certainly caught me. As much as I try to remind my family about the virtues of "Right Speech" (Buddhist), I am frequently reminded of my capacity for this particular form of communication betrayal. It wasn't until about 2pm Los Angeles time that I connected the dots about why you took me to task in the other post. I would have been angered as well. I've always tended to live in my head and invest far more in the strategy of "maintaining cognitive hygiene," whatever that means, than with being cordial and kindhearted.

As someone hopelessly addicted to words, I am happy to take this opportunity to correct a common misconception. The "lowest form of humor" is not puns, it is sarcasm.

Thank you.

I'm coming out of a personal era of critical thinking, a practice laid down in college, and I am all for loosening the bounds of that keep physics and metaphysics separate. However, some could rightly argue that I am just now learning how to be less of a pedantic asshole, and am all for loosening those bounds, but according to my own terms. -_-

I've really failed to acknowledge the non-impirical element of Taoist and other esoteric arts, and have only given them creedence when I acquired a personal experience of the teachings. But I've completely throw humility out the window in the process. I'm really sorry. "Eternal Student" has gently reminded me that unusual experiences can be expected after you acquire the ability to pulsate your brow chakra at will. Perhaps I'm moving into an era where my personal dick-headedness is becoming easier to recognize. :o

Regards,

B

Thank you, Blasto, I see real "work of the soul" here and I think it's beautiful.

Ninpo,

A.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Lack of relatedness to others. Immaturity.

Hence sarcasm is rife amongst american teens.One hopes they will grow out of it and if they dont one knows they are doomed on all levels.

I have been noticing a disturbing trend recently on the TaoBums, I'm not one to report anyone, but I have been deeply shocked to see people constantly pointing out certain peoples disability...yes, that's right.... the disability of 'sarcasm'.

Sarcasm is not a choice!!! It's a well known fact that the desire to be sarcastic is created by too much of a certain chemical in the brain, the brain chemical known as 'ectoplasm'.

Long time sufferers have extreme difficulty maintaining a normal conversation with others without being sarcastic, this is certainly not helped by the general population frequently finding such sarcastic comments wildly amusing, yet still remaining very ignorant of this illness.

Some of the most famous and successful people of our time have suffered from this disability ,and yet, against all odds, have managed to be successful and maintain normal and fulfilling relationships. Here are just a few:

Bill Clinton

Bill Hicks

and the list just goes on and on!

:lol:

your deeply sarcastic entry got me.

Luckily there is a number of factual errors, (pointed out correctly by Iyoiyo ) that helped ground me.

But I think our local feline community (Taomeow and Cat) are onto something here.

It would help if in this thread we try to keep sarcasm at the bare minimum not to induce confusion between in the facts of the world.

Edited by Pietro

Ninpo,

A.

I don't know, but I'm willing to give it a try.

My friend, sarcasm is not genetic, ectoplasm is not a chemical, and sarcasm is not a disability.

You're quick you are, I'd have to get up early in the morning to pull the wool over your eyes! :P

As someone hopelessly addicted to words, I am happy to take this opportunity to correct a common misconception. The "lowest form of humor" is not puns, it is sarcasm.

Thank you.

I think the quote is perhaps 'sarcasm is the lowest form of wit', luckily the Dao always seeks the lowest point so sarcasm is in good company. I knew there was a tie-in somewhere.

:lol:

your deeply sarcastic entry got me.

Luckily there is a number of factual errors, (pointed out correctly by Iyoiyo ) that helped ground me.

But I think our local feline community (Taomeow and Cat) are onto something here.

It would help if in this thread we try to keep sarcasm at the bare minimum not to induce confusion between in the facts of the world.

edit: I just saw your post Pietro,

I do find Taomeows post rather interesting actually; I'm not completely convinced a form of humour is a negative, I'm kind of assuming she's more focusing on the desire 'to put someone down', and then one 'possible' manifestation of this may be sarcasm. If that's not the case then I would like to know about the other forms of humour...such as Irony and slapstick.

To be clear, I think the majority of sarcasm is harmless, amongst most adults in any case. I've never met a sarcastic schizophrenic and I've met a few.

But just so I don't confuse anyone Pietro, I take your point, and I would like to make it clear to all there is no brain chemical called ectoplasm! and as far as I know it's not much of a disability either. :)

edit: I just saw your post Pietro,

I do find Taomeows post rather interesting actually; I'm not completely convinced a form of humour is a negative, I'm kind of assuming she's more focusing on the desire 'to put someone down', and then one 'possible' manifestation of this may be sarcasm. If that's not the case then I would like to know about the other forms of humour...such as Irony and slapstick.

To be clear, I think the majority of sarcasm is harmless, amongst most adults in any case. I've never met a sarcastic schizophrenic and I've met a few.

But just so I don't confuse anyone Pietro, I take your point, and I would like to make it clear to all there is no brain chemical called ectoplasm! and as far as I know it's not much of a disability either. :)

Thank You. Although we are probably going to know for sure what Taomeow means.

What I see is not what you refer. So let me add a few things.

Sarcasm, and humor can be harmful, not just because they put down people, but because they prevent people from going deeply in their emotions. And it is from this place that you make deep and meaningful connections between human beings. Connections that are being made while looking at the eyes.

I think the recent movie Avatar

< SPOILER ALERT >

shows it very well in the figure of the chief of operation. The guy who is in touch with the corporate world. When they try to report what they have been experiencing his reaction is "what have you guys been smoking". And you can see that he is troubled by the way things are developing. He is not a bad man, but a man in a bad position. Humor helps him, in some occasions, from seeing the depth of the damage they are doing.

<END OF SPOILER ALERT >

And in Taoism we say:

when the inferior man hears about the tao he laughs too much. Humor is ok, and sarcasm is ok.

It depends on the level, it depends on the context.

It is surely has a deep gift in letting us see different sides of the same equation. At the same time.

<sarcasm>

And discover that neither of them made any sense laugh.gif

</sarcasm>

Sarcasm, and humor can be harmful, not just because they put down people, but because they prevent people from going deeply in their emotions. And it is from this place that you make deep and meaningful connections between human beings. Connections that are being made while looking at the eyes.

It depends on the level, it depends on the context.

It does depend on the context Pietro, that's certainly true. I would suppose if people use sarcasm to not go deep within themselves or establish a connection with others then that would be a problem. I just don't know how true that is though.

In any case here is something unbelievable:

http://02d9656.netsoljsp.com/SarcMark/modules/user/commonfiles/loadhome.do

This thread has taken on a serious tone which I didn't expect. I thought humour was good for right brain function - but I suppose sarcasm isn't really humour in that sense.

I take most of what happens on hear as gentle leg pulling rather than sarcasm - I'm assuming that we are all on a path of some kind searching for the same things. So we are all buddies really even if we fall out over something. No harm intended by humour.

But I think that there's a problem sometimes with making it clear when you are being light hearted - its easy to upset someone unintentionally because emoticons are no substitute for tone of voice, body language and so on which help with normal conversation.

Thank you, Blasto, I see real "work of the soul" here and I think it's beautiful.

Life is a long lesson in humility, eh? I'm grateful you're far enough along to put it all in context.

It does depend on the context Pietro, that's certainly true. I would suppose if people use sarcasm to not go deep within themselves or establish a connection with others then that would be a problem. I just don't know how true that is though.

In any case here is something unbelievable:

http://02d9656.netso...les/loadhome.do

yeah, it's unbelievable if they sell even 1!

They can as well sell vowels by the kilo!

Sign in to follow this