Sign in to follow this  
Encephalon

365 Tao - SCARS

SCARS

Markings in dry clay disappear

Only when the clay is soft again.

Scars upon the self disappear

Only when one becomes soft within.

Throughout our life, but especially during our youth, many scars are inflicted upon us. Some of them are the results of violence, abuse, rape, or warfare. Others arise from bad education. A few come from humiliation and failure. Others are caused by our own misadventures. Unless we recover from these injuries, the scars mar us forever.

Classical scriptures urge us to withdraw from our own lusts and sins. But scars that have happened through no fault of our own may also bar us from spiritual success. Unfortunately, it is often easier to give up a bad habit than to recover from the incisions of others' violence. The only way is through self-cultivation. Doctors and priests can only do so much. The true course of healing is up to us alone. To do this, we must acquire many methods, travel widely, struggle to overcome our personal phobias, and perhaps most importantly of all, try to acquire as few new problems as possible. Unless we do, each one of them will bar us from true communion with Tao.

Deng Ming-Dao

What is the significance of his admonition to "travel widely"? Is it related to his reference of travel in the Jan. 28th theme? Does the Internet help or hinder this pursuit?

SCARS

What is the significance of his admonition to "travel widely"? Is it related to his reference of travel in the Jan. 28th theme? Does the Internet help or hinder this pursuit?

And boy! have I had my scars.

Travel widely, I think, is not just speaking to the physical but I think it is more at the spiritual. Yes, physical travel will take us out of oppressive situations. That is a form of escape.

But to the scars, we need to travel emotionally and spiritually away from the the memory of the scars. We need to go on retreat (in our mind and spirit) and allow for the healing process to take place.

I think the the internet can be a great asset for us to travel in mind and spirit. We can find others on the internet who have things in common with us and use it as a travel experience to be with those who will give us comfort and assurance.

Peace & Love!

And boy! have I had my scars.

Travel widely, I think, is not just speaking to the physical but I think it is more at the spiritual. Yes, physical travel will take us out of oppressive situations. That is a form of escape.

But to the scars, we need to travel emotionally and spiritually away from the the memory of the scars. We need to go on retreat (in our mind and spirit) and allow for the healing process to take place.

I think the the internet can be a great asset for us to travel in mind and spirit. We can find others on the internet who have things in common with us and use it as a travel experience to be with those who will give us comfort and assurance.

Peace & Love!

That's pretty good. I can't really disagree with you. Sure, I would love to find some fault, some flaw in what you said, no mattter how carefully hidden, and rip it apart declaring with great smugness and self-satisfaction VICTORY!

But alas there's nothing there I can find,

so I will just say have a great day Marblehead! Take care and have a good one!

That's pretty good. I can't really disagree with you. Sure, I would love to find some fault, some flaw in what you said, no mattter how carefully hidden, and rip it apart declaring with great smugness and self-satisfaction VICTORY!

But alas there's nothing there I can find,

so I will just say have a great day Marblehead! Take care and have a good one!

Good belly laugh. Thanks for that. But be assured, there are lots of flaws with this guy, it's just that I have learned well how to cover them up. Occasionally I get sloppy so I'm sure anyone will find occasion if they really get into stuff like that.

Thanks for the greeting. I have been editing music on my computer when I haven't been here.

You have a great day as well.

Peace & Love!

Sign in to follow this