Sign in to follow this  
OneSeeker

Finding the Way in Virginia

New to this forum, not totally new to Taoism. I've taken a roundabout route - studied Buddhism and Taoism (among other traditions) for quite a few years, then found myself circling back through Western esotericism/mysticism. Now that I've thoroughly digested Platonism, especially Plotinus' version, I'm convinced it's in agreement in all essential aspects with Taoism and Buddhism:

1. Physical reality is impermanent, constantly changing, ultimately illusory.

2. Desire for material things, worldly achievement, etc., produces nothing but suffering and rebirth.

3. Behind the ever-changing appearances of the physical world, there exists something eternal and unchanging.

4. Sense-perceptions and discursive thinking can't apprehend this transcendent reality, but the source of our thinking and being, non-discursive Mind, inherently knows the indescribable One.

And so on. I'm interested in getting past the philosophical/intellectual approach and more into actual practice. For various reasons I feel most drawn to Taoist teachings on meditation and so on. I've read some of the books on the subject and am working on my own, but I know there are dangers in solitary work. That's one reason why I signed up here, to see what others are experiencing and to ask for advice when necessary.

In addition, if there are any Taoist groups around the greater Richmond, Va., area, or if anyone else here would be interested in getting something going, I'd be happy to get involved.

Hi OneSeeker,

Welcome!

May you enjoy your time here.

I didn't know they allowed Buddhists or Taoists to live in Virginia.

Peace & Love!

Edited by Marblehead

You'll get mooned around here. Loonies. But that is the state bird of Minnesota -- the Loon.

New to this forum, not totally new to Taoism. I've taken a roundabout route - studied Buddhism and Taoism (among other traditions) for quite a few years, then found myself circling back through Western esotericism/mysticism. Now that I've thoroughly digested Platonism, especially Plotinus' version, I'm convinced it's in agreement in all essential aspects with Taoism and Buddhism:

1. Physical reality is impermanent, constantly changing, ultimately illusory.

2. Desire for material things, worldly achievement, etc., produces nothing but suffering and rebirth.

3. Behind the ever-changing appearances of the physical world, there exists something eternal and unchanging.

4. Sense-perceptions and discursive thinking can't apprehend this transcendent reality, but the source of our thinking and being, non-discursive Mind, inherently knows the indescribable One.

And so on. I'm interested in getting past the philosophical/intellectual approach and more into actual practice. For various reasons I feel most drawn to Taoist teachings on meditation and so on. I've read some of the books on the subject and am working on my own, but I know there are dangers in solitary work. That's one reason why I signed up here, to see what others are experiencing and to ask for advice when necessary.

In addition, if there are any Taoist groups around the greater Richmond, Va., area, or if anyone else here would be interested in getting something going, I'd be happy to get involved.

Thanks for the welcome.

Marblehead

Posted Today, 04:51 PM

Hi OneSeeker,

Welcome!

May you enjoy your time here.

I didn't know they allowed Buddhists or Taoists to live in Virginia.

Peace & Love!

I'm not sure they allow anyone to live in Virginia, mostly it's just existing. But it's better than South Carolina.

Sect-wise, there's actually a little of everything here, but most of the diversity is in the D.C. suburbs; they have everything from Anabaptists to Zoroastrians up there. Real Virginians consider that foreign territory, though.

drewhempel

Posted Today, 05:36 PM

You'll get mooned around here. Loonies. But that is the state bird of Minnesota -- the Loon.

Excellent choice. I'm thinking of suggesting we drop the cardinal here and adopt the turkey vulture instead.

Very funny. I got hot from your warm response despite my wool sweater undergarment plus a matted cotton shirt -- warmer -- and hoodie -- and a hat on (this huge window doesn't have adequate plastic insulation). O.K. I do have a blanket on and some drink that is warming -- but if I was outside I would die soon enough for the crows to eat me.

Hey my dad is friends with a Virginian but he's a federal judge now living in Kansas. haha.

O.K. check out the real qigong master I took classes from:

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not sure they allow anyone to live in Virginia, mostly it's just existing. But it's better than South Carolina.

Sect-wise, there's actually a little of everything here, but most of the diversity is in the D.C. suburbs; they have everything from Anabaptists to Zoroastrians up there. Real Virginians consider that foreign territory, though.

Excellent choice. I'm thinking of suggesting we drop the cardinal here and adopt the turkey vulture instead.

Wowie, things sure are different up there. The last time I watched the local news from Richmond, the top story was about a tree branch falling on a parked car. I'm not kidding.

This is exactly why I signed up with Tao Bums. Seems like every time I take a deep breath or a good stretch, I find another blockage. Thanks for the link.

Yeah I'm not allowed to give you the link for the testimonials because it was labeled spam. haha. But I can provide it in my signature. Anyway my grandfather was born in Jamestown -- South Dakota. haha.

Wowie, things sure are different up there. The last time I watched the local news from Richmond, the top story was about a tree branch falling on a parked car. I'm not kidding.

This is exactly why I signed up with Tao Bums. Seems like every time I take a deep breath or a good stretch, I find another blockage. Thanks for the link.

i'm in richmond... i haven't yet attended, but the meditation/mindfulness group in richmond (meets in maymont park many times) seems like a good start for you. you can find them at the meetups.com site, just type in "meditation" for richmond, va.

also, i may start teaching tai chi again (probably around byrd park/carytown area)- in a couple of months when it gets warmer. there's a couple of other tai chi instructors around- one formal group that teaches wu style, and another guy or two that teach yang. i've never met them (the latter two), so i'm not sure of the quality/content, but at least it's a start. :) if you can't find them online, i'll see if i can dig up there contact info.

Edited by elmer

Sign in to follow this