Old Man Contradiction

Traditional etiquette of sifu-student relationship?

I am wondering what the relationship was traditionally like, and what were the small kinds of etiquette that occurred between the sifu and student? How about just generally in China?

How does this differ from America?

Any books or articles for me to read about this?

thank you.

I am wondering what the relationship was traditionally like, and what were the small kinds of etiquette that occurred between the sifu and student? How about just generally in China?

thank you.

Old Man Contradiction:

I have some articles related to your training. If possible, can you PM your email, I am happy to give it.

Cheers,

I have some articles related to your training. If possible, can you PM your email, I am happy to give it.

Can you post a link to the articles?

Yesterday I showed my knob to a potential teacher. In fact I stripped down to absolutely nothing and looked him straight in the eye. Then I put my clothes back on and finished my tea. This is not a joke, I'm not saying it for effect etc.. it really did happen.

thank you.

You should show your sifu lots of respect. He traditionally has a higher rank than your father. You would never refer to him by name only as sifu.

thank you.

It is a matter of respect. If anyone doesn't respect the person they are training with they should not be there.

Different cultural backgrounds do make a difference but respect is worldwide.

I am much more informal and do not prefer to be called anything but my first name. My Chinese teachers have been pretty laid back and treated me as close friends. But I certainly noticed the respect given to them by the whole town in which they lived. In fact, I got way more respect than I deserved in China simply because of who's student I was.

I know Master Chang did not like the word "sifu" as he said it was too "blue collar".

Yesterday I showed my knob to a potential teacher. In fact I stripped down to absolutely nothing and looked him straight in the eye. Then I put my clothes back on and finished my tea. This is not a joke, I'm not saying it for effect etc.. it really did happen.

wasnt it cold?whats the weather like where you live?

Sifu Yan Ming, the first Shaolin monk to defect to the US, once told me and a few other students at a mexican restaurant "When you go out to eat with the master, never let the master pay".

True story.

Edited by Son Goku