Sign in to follow this  
Nebulon

Cultivating Chi

Hello Taobums!

I have been having interesting experiences the past couple days that I was curious to see if anyone else has had them before.

I just recently started doing meditation for cultivating chi in my dantian, from what I can tell its been pretty successful.

Anyway, since I started doing this training, I am randomly getting bursts of heat moving through my legs during the day, have never had it my entire life, and I bent over the other day and back up very quickly and I could see tiny white lights everywhere, I normally only see these lights when I am gazing at the sky in the day time.

The other thing I have noticed is that I am waking up in the morning, before my alarm clock rings, wide awake. You normally have to drag me out of bed.

I am pretty sure I know what all this means, but I am all alone in my experiences and you lot are the only ones I can talk to!

Thanks for reading

Jeremy

[Edited to remove personal meditation experience, forgot I am not meant to talk about it! lol]

Edited by Nebulon

Actually there is another thing, I have had this massive shock up my back once during an inner sound meditation, I have been told it is kundalini and it resides at the base the perineum. I would have to assume then that kundalini is yin chi, which is bizarre to me.

Hi Nebulon - based on two short posts, meaning, not much, I think you should slow down a bit. Especially with the analysis.

Learn to walk first.

Tiny white lights when you stand up could be astral messages that you can later capture with your third eye when it opens, and interpret in your middle dantian.

Could also be low blood pressure.

I'd go with the second one as a jumping off point ;)

Sorry, I have been doing meditation for nearly 8 or so years now and have not had anyone I could talk to that has also done meditation so I am a bit starved for coversation.

Anyway, I had my blood pressure checked a couple weeks ago and it is in the "normal" range, the upper normal range, before pre-hypertension.

So no one has had any of these experiences? I really don't think that the lights are astral messages, I have never read of anything like this before.

Hi

If you do energy work you can expect things to happen - like heat, tingling, rushes of energy. These are positive signs but its important to just stick to your practice and not get too into them - because the practice is obviously having some effect - but if you focus on the effects then you are kind narrowing down what the energy wants to do (does this make sense?). If you combine energy work with emptiness meditation it should create space for you to see what's going on. The seeing stars thing might just be post-postural hypertension or it could be you are opening out some channels which were blocked before. Just take it easy and observe the process - let it educate you.

Cheers.

A.

Thanks for the responses. Guess I am always looking for some kind of scientific explanation for all of this, it amazes me, absolutely amazes me that these forces, to the meditation practitioner, are quite obviously very real and yet are also impossible to prove.

Sorry, I have been doing meditation for nearly 8 or so years now and have not had anyone I could talk to that has also done meditation so I am a bit starved for coversation.

Anyway, I had my blood pressure checked a couple weeks ago and it is in the "normal" range, the upper normal range, before pre-hypertension.

ah, ok... well, the way you phrased your post, it sounded to me like you just started a couple days ago and were getting all kinds of side-effects. So, just a misunderstanding on my part.

What have you been doing for eight years, if I can ask? You might want to give more background into your practice.

Warmth in the lower belly great- Warmth in the legs, maybe great, maybe not. How do you close your sessions? Important, that. Do you actively incorporate the breath into your practice?

Also, the reduced need for sleep is a good sign, imo, so long as it's not accompanied by anxiety or fitfulness. Do you have a lot of energy all through the day?

PS - the astral messages thing was meant jokingly. It's something that I picked up along the way but not something that I really put into practice. It's from an era when I was into aura-reading. But the point was that, "it could be virtually anything, or it could be blood pressure - go with the obvious choice first" smile.gif

When I first started I picked up a few meditations from a http://www.meditationcenter.com/, which still seems to be running!

For most of the years that I have been meditating I have just been using mindfulness meditation (not really clear of what purpose the whole thing served). I did a few of the others but mindfulness has been my main meditation. [Edit: As well as centering]

The kundalini experience I had was when I was doing the inner sound meditation, I have not done it since because it was quite scary.

A little while ago I have started doing Dantian Meditation/Breathing, focus on the dantian, then relax and let the mind body emotions and chi blanace into a half awake state to hopefully allow energy to gather in the dantian.

As for closing, I dont have any closing techniques except that I try to make sure that my body feels balanced before I leave the meditation.

Edited by Nebulon

Usually sitting upright quickly and seeing white spots is nothing metaphysical or spiritual. You merely get faint / light headed and "see stars" as it were.

Heat usually is a common sensation of belly breathing.

The heat in Dantian meditation is amazing, the only reason I attached the "seeing" stars to me meditation practice is that it happend quite literally the next day right after I started doing Dantian meditation and I have never seen "stars" like that before in my life, I could see them quite clearly just looking around a typical well lit room.

I dont have any friends that do meditation nor any teachers so I may be hypersensitive about my experiences as a safeguard since I dont want to end up having some kind of deviation.

I dont want to end up having some kind of deviation.

In that case, you should develop the habit of always concluding your sessions with a little ceremony to signify that it's over. Check out the thread on Dantian breathing.

Nebulon, i think i see the same thing, but it's not connected with any kind of meditation or other spiritual practise, check this out:

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Visual_snow

hey, thanks for the links! I didn't know there was a term for it. I've had that my entire life, it totally blows my mind to think that other people can see without that "noise" in the picture. It's nothing like the severe animation on the wiki site, and I really don't even notice it unless I'm looking at a wall or have my eyes closed, but it's always there.

I don't think it's what Nebula is experiencing, though. It has nothing to do with the flashing lights you see when you stand up too quickly. It's not affected by anything at all, in fact. It's just how you (I) see.

I don't think he is talking about visual noise related to any sort of disfunction.

I wrote about this recently too.

As my practice has advanced i see stars regularly in my vision.

They are not just plain white dots, they are slightly luminescent with a strong glow in the middle which decays outwards.

They are not floaters, or noise due to something else.

I am certain they are connected to my meditation and have never experienced them before.

I don't really care what it means, i try not to linger on the effects, but just practice.

: )

In that case, you should develop the habit of always concluding your sessions with a little ceremony to signify that it's over. Check out the thread on Dantian breathing.

hey, thanks for the links! I didn't know there was a term for it. I've had that my entire life, it totally blows my mind to think that other people can see without that "noise" in the picture. It's nothing like the severe animation on the wiki site, and I really don't even notice it unless I'm looking at a wall or have my eyes closed, but it's always there.

I don't think it's what Nebula is experiencing, though. It has nothing to do with the flashing lights you see when you stand up too quickly. It's not affected by anything at all, in fact. It's just how you (I) see.

Well, this animation on the wiki is just a silly example. I see this sh*t very clearly when im watching the bright sky. I got this visual snow after being knocked unconscious. It's connected (but not in all cases) with migraine aura. When i stand up too quickly, it's different than usual visual snow, then its like all the colors in dynamic chaos but i noticed that when i feel like im going to faint (i sometimes fell on the ground or had to resist against the wall) and i focus really hard, this feeling goes away and im fine.

Btw. i was wondering if anybody could explane migraine aura in energetic reality. Because it's really weird experience and neurologists only have some unprecise theories about it and no effective cure.

Thanks for the visual snow links, the only one that is anything close is the little white mosqitoe example.

If I were to describe the behaviour of the snow, it looks like your looking through a microscope and little microbes darting around all over the place, but instead they are bright white and look like stars. That's the best explanation I can give, I can seem them clearly if I look at the blue sky in the day, but not really anywhere else.

Anyway, I was just reading on another post that there are some people that teach Level 1 Dantian cultivation, was wondering if anyone here knows one of these individuals? I am doing the training myself but my methods are only self devised, dont want to be training improperly!

Thank you

This is kind of funny!

Right after asking what I did above I just came across the incredibly revealing article on embryonic breathing, I have a feeling this might be what I have been looking for.

Embryonic Breathing

Just tried embryonic breathing, it is extremely powerful, the heat generated in my body was immediately noticeable, when trying to pull my attention away from the dantian it felt locked in, kind of panicked abit, but stayed focused and tried to gently pull it away, I can understand now why kosta said in his books that people can go insane from taking their attention away from the dantian when they were not ready to.

Practice carefully!

when trying to pull my attention away from the dantian it felt locked in, kind of panicked abit, but stayed focused and tried to gently pull it away, ...

A lot of Taobums could give you info on the techniques, and many others, but there's a reason why certain things aren't discussed in great detail here, and you just discovered it ;)

Heed your own advice, Neb :)

btw, I'll be at a seminar YJ Ming in October. Yippeee :)

Edited by soaring crane

Sorry I just realised what you said there, It has been my gut instinct that YJ Ming is a good teacher, I have ordered two of his books today, embryonic breathing and 8 basic qigong forms.

Where is his seminar at?

Edited by Nebulon

Sign in to follow this