Sign in to follow this  
John Zen

Strange Meditation Experience...

When meditating earlier today, I began to breathe very subtly, and my focus on this breath was great. Then, I began feeling excitement in my genital region. I started becoming erect, and felt as though I was approaching an orgasm. Very pleasant feelings of warm energy radiated like a wave up my spine, very subtly. It was very pleasureful experience. Does this experience match any experiences described by Taoist alchemical theory? What do you make of it? Is it nothing, is it something?

It's something that happens during meditation sometimes that's all. nothing that special or scary. when the mind quiets, energy comes forth. best not to pay it much mind, just keep going and focus on your breathing.

It's something that happens during meditation sometimes that's all. nothing that special or scary. when the mind quiets, energy comes forth. best not to pay it much mind, just keep going and focus on your breathing.

So you think it is energy coming forth. This is a good thing, yes? (As compared to a neutral thing)

So you think it is energy coming forth. This is a good thing, yes? (As compared to a neutral thing)

Yes, it's a good thing. You had desire arise during meditation and simply sat through it and looked at it, rather than acting on it, and it began to transform into bliss. That would be a description of your experience from a Vajrayana Buddhist standpoint. In the Taoist tradition, you would describe it as sexual energy moving up the spine. The thing is that desire energy and bliss energy are fundamentally no different. What changes through meditation is our experience of it.

So yes, it's a good thing. But don't fixate on the experience or try to repeat it. When desire arises during meditation, just continue to sit through it and look at it. Sometimes transformation will occur and sometimes not. Keep doing the practice whether it does or doesn't.

Well, it is best not to pay too much attention to any meditation experiences, just watch them, acknowledge their impermanence and let them go.

Just indicates some kind of progress as opposed to nothing. Some minor stage. This kind of thing can happen a hundred times, but by the 3rd or 4rth time you get the point that its no biggee. Still nice though.

Guest sykkelpump

When meditating earlier today, I began to breathe very subtly, and my focus on this breath was great. Then, I began feeling excitement in my genital region. I started becoming erect, and felt as though I was approaching an orgasm. Very pleasant feelings of warm energy radiated like a wave up my spine, very subtly. It was very pleasureful experience. Does this experience match any experiences described by Taoist alchemical theory? What do you make of it? Is it nothing, is it something?

this is normal,just keep watching the breath.it is easy to forget what you are doing when things like this happen and then you concentrate on the feelings,then you loose it.remember what brought you there and continue watching the breath.

also remember to relax the mind before going back to watching the breath,it is an absolute key factor which will change the meditation.gives it much more power.if you want you can read about it here:

http://www.dhammasukha.org/Study/Books/Pdf/The%20Anapanasati%20Sutta%202.pdf

Edited by sykkelpump

Guest sykkelpump

Yes, it's a good thing. You had desire arise during meditation and simply sat through it and looked at it, rather than acting on it, and it began to transform into bliss. That would be a description of your experience from a Vajrayana Buddhist standpoint. In the Taoist tradition, you would describe it as sexual energy moving up the spine. The thing is that desire energy and bliss energy are fundamentally no different. What changes through meditation is our experience of it.

So yes, it's a good thing. But don't fixate on the experience or try to repeat it. When desire arises during meditation, just continue to sit through it and look at it. Sometimes transformation will occur and sometimes not. Keep doing the practice whether it does or doesn't.

from my experience I would say up the central channel not the spine

Sign in to follow this