fiveelementtao

Right Brain and Tao Practice

Hi Bums,

I have decided that forum interaction via keyboard communication is downright evil... So, for the foreseeable future, I am retiring from the usual forum related left brain ego jousting, semantics, book knowledge theory nonsense. From here on out I propose a thread where we only share right brain active activities that help our cultivation. No theory, no competition, no jousting, no intellectualization... just fun healing practices that we can share with each other.

Here is my first contribution.

My thanks to those who have sent me encouraging emails. From here on out for the foreseeable future, I will not be engaging in any text communication on the forum. Anyone with questions about my practice or views can email me. Anyone interested in what I practice, can follow the links in my signature. Anyone interested in training with me can contact me...

Peace and blessings to all...

Edited by fiveelementtao

Sounds like a good idea. After the recent love/celibacy/PUA threads (a subject I find very emotionally draining) something more uplifting and right brained sounds very appealing. :)

Edited by Enishi

Guest winpro07

I just turned my key board up side down and all the evil ran out, but fingers are cramping a s I wwrit tis so

Edited by winpro07

I've grown a little weary of the egotism and jousting myself, and by that I mean my own. I'm not sure why I've stayed in here as long as I have, but I'm sure it has to do with the joy of writing on your feet, comparing notes with likeminded souls, and genuinely learning from those farther along on the path. I've emabarrassed myself with my short-fused threads and uncharitable words directed at some, but I've been humbled by heartfelt thanks by others who got some small measure of worth from my experience. I'm nowhere near as free of my petty ego impulses as I once thought, so I guess I've learned something of value.

I am grateful, however, for having experienced childhood and young adulthood without the Net. I think it's power to inform has been amply matched by its power to delude. And sometimes this forum becomes a frightening example. I guess I'll leave when I've had my fill. I'm coming up on one year.

Cheers.

Aw.. Gonna miss you five, your presense is always welcome to me on the forum ^_^

Good luck with your brain :lol:

Langster

Edited by effilang

Hi Bums,

I have decided that forum interaction via keyboard communication is downright evil... So, for the foreseeable future, I am retiring from the usual forum related left brain ego jousting, semantics, book knowledge theory nonsense. From here on out I propose a thread where we only share right brain active activities that help our cultivation. No theory, no competition, no jousting, no intellectualization... just fun healing practices that we can share with each other.

My thanks to those who have sent me encouraging emails. From here on out for the foreseeable future, I will not be engaging in any text communication on the forum. Anyone with questions about my practice or views can email me. Anyone interested in what I practice, can follow the links in my signature. Anyone interested in training with me can contact me...

This book from the 1980's has a chapter on the R. & L. aproach. It approaches the Tao from about 9 different angles...

The Tao of power: a translation of the Tao te ching by Lao Tzu By Laozi, R. L. Wing

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=RhPkngFGWy4C&dq=the+tao+of+power+r+l+wing&source=bl&ots=z7k6Fv0nOe&sig=7xXFiGf7RZsv34eOybSIon3S9vs&hl=en&ei=0ONeS9jFO8-LkAWlwa3kCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAkQ6AEwAA

I have a working theory that the Internet disperses Shen which eventually leads to depression. So, I'm all for taking extended breaks. And also all for not getting too heavily involved in the first place...

Good Luck in your travels, 5E :)

Guest artform

Certainly a necessary complementary practice in the midst of all else. Here is one person's deeply right brain experience, deeply personally retold for us to share and feel within:

all the best reintegrative energetics all

artform

This is a Shamanic Drum Rhythm I learned from a Yoruba Drum Master and Ifa Shaman. My thanks to my Shakti drummers! Edited by fiveelementtao

This rhythm is called "Iba Oba" Many people learn this rhythm as "Baba's Warm-Up". What many don't know is that this is a very ancient Yoruba ritual rhythm...

The drums are singing a chant of Initiation in ancient Yoruba language. The rhythm was used to welcome Chiefs into their village, but the esoteric meaning was to teach an Ifa initiate the process of Spiritual/Magical pursuits.

The First verse says
"Welcome to the King (Spirit)"
This is the initiate investigating the call to follow the way of Spirit.

The second verse says
"I will follow the King (Spirit)"
Here the initiate enjoys the feeling of the Power of Spirit and decides to become a Shaman.

The Third verse says
"Let us all follow the King (Spirit)"
Here the initiate is filled with Zeal to spread the message of Ifa (Yoruba Spiritual Path)

The Fourth verse says
"Respect the Power of Transformation from Life to Death to Life (Shango)"
The drum makes a loud crack which is the power of lightning. At this point the Universe has responded to the initiate's desire to share his faith and the Universe gives him/her real power to transform. This is the power of lightning. At this point the Initiate knows this power is VERY real and is forced to change internally...

The Fifth verse says
"Let us respect the power of the Spirit INDEED!"
Here the initiate must take stock of him/herself and decide if he/she is ready for the power of true transformation..

The Sixth verse says
"I will follow the Spirit forever and ever..."
Here the initiate realizes there is no turning back from the Path, that he/she never had a choice to begin with. It was always the choice of Spirit to call one to the Path of a Shaman...
  • Like 1

This rhythm is called "Iba Oba" Many people learn this rhythm as "Baba's Warm-Up". What many don't know is that this is a very ancient Yoruba ritual rhythm...

The drums are singing a chant of Initiation in ancient Yoruba language. The rhythm was used to welcome Chiefs into their village, but the esoteric meaning was to teach an Ifa initiate the process of Spiritual/Magical pursuits.

The First verse says

"Welcome to the King (Spirit)"

This is the initiate investigating the call to follow the way of Spirit.

The second verse says

"I will follow the King (Spirit)"

Here the initiate enjoys the feeling of the Power of Spirit and decides to become a Shaman.

The Third verse says

"Let us all follow the King (Spirit)"

Here the initiate is filled with Zeal to spread the message of Ifa (Yoruba Spiritual Path)

The Fourth verse says

"Respect the Power of Transformation from Life to Death to Life (Shango)"

The drum makes a loud crack which is the power of lightning. At this point the Universe has responded to the initiate's desire to share his faith and the Universe gives him/her real power to transform. This is the power of lightning. At this point the Initiate knows this power is VERY real and is forced to change internally...

The Fifth verse says

"Let us respect the power of the Spirit INDEED!"

Here the initiate must take stock of him/herself and decide if he/she is ready for the power of true transformation..

The Sixth verse says

"I will follow the Spirit forever and ever..."

Here the initiate realizes there is no turning back from the Path, that he/she never had a choice to begin with. It was always the choice of Spirit to call one to the Path of a Shaman...

Ah, Nice. I haven't even listened to it yet; yet I feel the Power. Connection to Spirit! Hey Ya!

Dance with joy!

This is Iba Oba part II. After the initiation, all of the village is invited to celebrate the successful initiation. The message of this song is that true joy is a discipline. True joy is a choice. The last verse has two syllables "Sho - Geh" Which means "Show it!" Meaning show your joy by dancing. This last verse is repeated 16 times. When drummers first learn this rhythm, most can only get out 4 repetitions of the last verse and then usually have difficulty keeping the timing. This is why the last verse is repeated 16 times. Because the lesson for drummers is that true joy is a discipline that takes practice and discipline to master. True celebration has a cost. In the case of the initiate, he/she has paid for the celebration with their initiation ordeal. In modern times, we seek celebration as a way to escape. We use alcohol, drugs etc... and we pay the price for that later with hangovers and other health issues and as time goes on it becomes harder and harder to celebrate. For those who follow the path of spiritual discipline, celebration becomes easier with time. True Joy is a learned practice...

Hi Bums,

How about some of the left brain positive stuff and hit equanimity? ;)

Peace, love, and joy to you:)

5ET,

It inspired me so much, that I was searching for the right flute ever since you posted that. Finally today I got my shakuhachi in the mail, and it sounds amazing. So thank you for sharing.

I got it from this shop...if anyone else is interested in her flutes, you might want to ask about getting a well tuned one before purchasing. Some of the ones she is selling are a little off. http://www.etsy.com/shop/savagedryad

As has been my custom of late, I will not be monitoring this thread or responding to any questions or comments on the forum. (too much fighting and name calling for my thin skin).. anyone with serious questions can email me... If anyone wants to share the Runic spelling of this mantra (HUL) and their understanding of the runic letters in this sequence on this thread, I think it may prove to be quite interesting fodder for discussion... It has been for me...

Thanks and blessings,

Mike

Interestingly, "hulu" is a Chinese word for a hollowed-out gourd often carried by immortals too.
Hulu were often seen in the hands of Chinese immortals (Li Tieguai) and monks. They were said to hold the elixir of immortality and thus were a favored vessel for restorative medicines.
il_430xN.134982499.jpg
The bottle-gourd symbolizes heaven and earth, hence the universe. Within it is a magical zone in the form of an alternate universe or the entrance to another world. Daoist immortals and magicians can travel between these two worlds. In the more mundane world, doorways and/or windows in elite Chinese houses were often shaped like bottle-gourds, again suggesting a passage into a different realm.
18.jpg

Thanks vortex! Reminds me of the ipu I owned and played when dancing hula long ago...

2117187804_7575679a74.jpg

(Yep, that's xmas tree tinsel around their necks. We used to wear this around the holidays, substituting it for leis. Note: not my pic.)

Very interesting...& I wonder if there might be some bizarre connection with the word HULA, too? Anyone know its etymology?

Some of my students and those who have purchased my DVDs may know of the Earth Breath meditation that I have taught. In this video I teach the original practice that I received in meditation. I have not publicly taught the entire meditation with breath, chant and visualization until now. When I received this meditation in shamanic vision some years ago, I saw the similarity to the traditional Taoist Earth healing sound. But, I did not yet know the origin of the entire sound and breath, so I only taught part of the technique within Taoist teachings. I wanted to be sure of it's origins and effects before I taught the entire practice. This is now my core practice. It has taken my previous practices to a whole new level. It is my belief that this is a mantra and practice for our times. This practice can be used for personal healing and enlightenment and it can also be used as means of restoring and balancing the Earth as well as the collective consciousness of the planet. I was told that this practice can be used to "defrag" the world's hard drive and heal imbalances such as global warming, etc, when combined with our intent... I was told by my guides to share this meditation freely with any and all for the health and restoration of our Mother earth. Please feel free to share this technique with others for the health of our planet.

Blessings, Mike...

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Mike...I recognize that it's a very good method.

Just downloaded your new book, The Thunder Wizard Path, today...especially enjoyed reading the part about how the Teutons may have interpreted the 4 directions, within the Five Elements section. Very insightful!

Edited by Scotty