Sign in to follow this  
Capital

Fit February

Hello all. :D Peace and love to all.

Now, I'm a nerd who likes to read, so I frequent a Fanfiction forum. On this forum, we've started up a few month-long challenges. For February, we're all trying to stay fit, with a constant workout routine we'll actually feel obligated to follow diligently.

They all have their ideas of what a good routine is, but each and every one of them consists of nothing but running and lifting heavier and heavier weights at the gym.

I don't agree with that kind of work out, because I think everyone who follows it might get strong, but they hurt themselves in the end. I want to help others well into my old age, so I need a routine that isn't going to hurt me, but is going to get me quite fit.

This is where (I hope) my friends at The Tao Bums can help me.

I need a good workout, made by those who actually understand what is good and natural for the human body. I really don't, as I'm only 19 and haven't had any of the experiences to give me such wisdom.

I would appreciate it if I could get some good Tao Bums advice. :D

Peace, Capital.

Or Kyle, hahahaha.

Hello all. :D Peace and love to all.

Now, I'm a nerd who likes to read, so I frequent a Fanfiction forum. On this forum, we've started up a few month-long challenges. For February, we're all trying to stay fit, with a constant workout routine we'll actually feel obligated to follow diligently.

They all have their ideas of what a good routine is, but each and every one of them consists of nothing but running and lifting heavier and heavier weights at the gym.

I don't agree with that kind of work out, because I think everyone who follows it might get strong, but they hurt themselves in the end. I want to help others well into my old age, so I need a routine that isn't going to hurt me, but is going to get me quite fit.

This is where (I hope) my friends at The Tao Bums can help me.

I need a good workout, made by those who actually understand what is good and natural for the human body. I really don't, as I'm only 19 and haven't had any of the experiences to give me such wisdom.

I would appreciate it if I could get some good Tao Bums advice. :D

Peace, Capital.

Or Kyle, hahahaha.

Well, before we back up the truck and dump all our fitness advice on your front lawn, you should give us a detailed description of your body type. Use this resource and report back to us. - http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/body-types-ectomorph-mesomorph-endomorph.html

Give us your fitness level and an estimate of your dietary discipline. Then all of us fitness professionals at TTB can work our magic on you. :rolleyes:

Well, of the three body types, I'd say I'm probably a mesomorph. That isn't to say that I'm too fit right now, because I grew up lazy, with little exercise, and overfed with junk food. That also isn't to say that I'm fat any longer, or to say that there isn't a layer of good muscle there. I'm just not toned at all. I've lost a lot of weight really fast, without working too hard, which is what makes me think I'm a mesomorph.

I'm 6'2", 210 pounds or 95.5 Kg. My shoulders and chest are quite large, and I have a proportionally large torso compared to my legs (or at least that's what I've always thought). I also have large hands and feet. I carry fat in my stomach and sides more than anywhere else. Would a picture help? I'm not really against putting one on the internet.

My diet isn't too great, tbh, but I'm willing to change it considerably. The problem has more to do with the fact that I don't live alone, and none of us are really big eaters any longer.

Well, of the three body types, I'd say I'm probably a mesomorph. That isn't to say that I'm too fit right now, because I grew up lazy, with little exercise, and overfed with junk food. That also isn't to say that I'm fat any longer, or to say that there isn't a layer of good muscle there. I'm just not toned at all. I've lost a lot of weight really fast, without working too hard, which is what makes me think I'm a mesomorph.

I'm 6'2", 210 pounds or 95.5 Kg. My shoulders and chest are quite large, and I have a proportionally large torso compared to my legs (or at least that's what I've always thought). I also have large hands and feet. I carry fat in my stomach and sides more than anywhere else. Would a picture help? I'm not really against putting one on the internet.

My diet isn't too great, tbh, but I'm willing to change it considerably. The problem has more to do with the fact that I don't live alone, and none of us are really big eaters any longer.

The advantage of being a mesomorph is that you won't have to work nearly as hard building an adequate muscle base as the thinner hard-gainers. Of course, you'll have to work harder to keep your layers of unproductive fat off, especially if you're trapped in the Standard American Diet (SAD). If you can get your diet under control - and there will be no shortage of dietary advice in here - then you'll be able to burn a lot of fat off pretty quick, because it's muscle that burns the calories, and you already have those. But get a bodyfat measurement - any gym should offer one for free. I'd estimate 28% body fat, so shoot 20% as a short term goal.

The specifics of workout designs are endless, but I'd recommend you pick up a copy of "The New Rules of Lifting." The bottom line is, the progress you make toward any fitness goal will happen only after your body becomes stronger. Strength is the godfather of all other fitness criteria, as it will determine the intensity and effectiveness of your workouts. Strength also has the advantage of most quickly acquiring mind/muscle connection, which translates into a heightened mind/body union. Up to a certain point, a strong body is a relaxed body, a requisite for success in yoga, tai chi, chi kung, energy work, etc. But you'll want to keep a balance between your flexibility and your strength gains. Don't let the strength/flexibility balance become skewed in either direction.

A well-designed program of compound lifts that maximize large muscle group recruitment, plus some body weight drills and kettlebells thrown in can deliver all the cardio you need without having to devote any time to cardio specifically.

You'll make huge progress if you get your diet in check. There's so much to talk about with respect to diet. I'll let others chime in. There are real experts in here.

Mo' later.

I feel bad to bump my own thread but...

~Bump!~ blush.gif

Ok, I'll give you some bad news: There is not such a thing as a well designed routine.... the mistake is just in the name "routine".

It does not mater what you do but eventually the body-mind-soul will reach a plateau and no evolution would be possible with that "routine".

In fitness there is a priciple called "muscle confusion". You'll have constant gain and constant grow if you respect that priciple, because otherwise no matter what the muscle will adapt and will stay on that level. Same principle in body building is in qigong as well as or spiritual grow. You need constantly to change "routines" and to challenge yourself. I do that and I observed that after approximately 3 months (one season) I reach the plateau and I feel the need to change "something".

Usually in the winter I do warming-up exercises, but now in February when the energy of Wood will appear the Yang will begin to grow so I will adapt and change and will do some "grounding" exercises. You should do what you feel the need to do but also you should observe how your need will change. Maybe in summer you'll feel the need for "cooling" and in autumn for more stretching... I dunno, just try something and after a while change something and so on....keep going!

Ok, I'll give you some bad news: There is not such a thing as a well designed routine.... the mistake is just in the name "routine".

It does not mater what you do but eventually the body-mind-soul will reach a plateau and no evolution would be possible with that "routine".

In fitness there is a priciple called "muscle confusion". You'll have constant gain and constant grow if you respect that priciple, because otherwise no matter what the muscle will adapt and will stay on that level. Same principle in body building is in qigong as well as or spiritual grow. You need constantly to change "routines" and to challenge yourself. I do that and I observed that after approximately 3 months (one season) I reach the plateau and I feel the need to change "something".

Usually in the winter I do warming-up exercises, but now in February when the energy of Wood will appear the Yang will begin to grow so I will adapt and change and will do some "grounding" exercises. You should do what you feel the need to do but also you should observe how your need will change. Maybe in summer you'll feel the need for "cooling" and in autumn for more stretching... I dunno, just try something and after a while change something and so on....keep going!

We aren't in disagreement here. The word "routine," like many words in the English language, has multiple meanings. Obviously, as your body adapts you will need to modify your workouts.

Just to jump to the dietary side of things, I would recommend that you create your own blend of whole flax seed, quinoa, buckwheat groats, and bulgur wheat, equal parts each. Cook one cup of this dry cereal in twice the amount of water, just like you would cook rice, for 20 minutes. The fiber, protein, EFA, and mineral content is off the charts compared with other carb sources. If you are adamant about eliminating grains from your diet, as TCM sometimes counsels, then substitute the bulgur with millet. You will be hooked on this stuff. You can do anything with it. With stevia, coconut oil, raw cocoa powder, and walnuts, it's like eating German Chocolate cake for breakfast. If you're a chocolate fiend like I am you'll love this.

Thank you Blasto for the recipe, definitely I will try it, although I personally would use it in Autumn-Winter as an energy source :)

Sign in to follow this