Sign in to follow this  
Encephalon

365 Tao - LAUGHTER

LAUGHTER

Hilly village lanes,

Whitewashed sunlit walls.

Cerulean sea.

The laughter of children.

No matter where in the world you go, no matter how many languages are spoken, and no matter how many times cultures and governments clash, the laughter of children is universally uplifting. The mirth of adults can be variously jealous, insecure, sadistic, cruel, or absurd, but the sound of playing children evokes the ideal of a simple and pure act. There are no concepts, no ideologies -- only the innocent pleasure of life.

We as adults dwell upon our grizzled complexities, our existential anxieties, and our preoccupations with responsibilities. We hear the merriment of children and may sigh over our lost childhoods. Although we can no longer fit into our old clothes and become young again, we can take comfort in the optimism of children. Their rejoicing can gladden us all.

We are too often in a rush for our children to grow up. It is far better for them to fully live each year of their lives. Let them learn what is appropriate to their time, let them play. And when their childhood is spent at adolescence, help them in a gentle transition. Then their laughter will continue to resonate with cheer and hope for us all.

Nice.

I too think that sincere, childish laughter is good for the soul.

Just because we grow up and become 'mature' doesn't mean that we can no longer enjoy childish laughter.

Of course, this requires us to be totally free and open with ourself and others. If others think we are childish because of our merriment then I suggest that this is their problem, not ours.

Peace & Love!

It's interesting that you posted this. While laying in bed last night, I realized that for me the most important part of a friendship / relationship is laughter. Laughter is the best feeling in the world, and there's no reason for adults to be so serious. Surely, intelligence and knowledge are dire. But I think being able to think and also laugh at the same time is wisdom.

I find that since my eyesight has faded somewhat, I cant dwell on my grizzled complexities any more.

I suppose they're still there, all grizzled and complex. Like a bear in a labyrinth. or something.

Sign in to follow this