z00se

Pulse Diagnosis

Ok, obviously you need ALOT of experience to do this accurately, but where can one learn the basics of this before approaching a teacher to learn from?

Anyone know any good learning resources?

Cheers.

Ok, obviously you need ALOT of experience to do this accurately, but where can one learn the basics of this before approaching a teacher to learn from?

Cheers.

+ tongue diagnosis. They both go hand in hand in TCM. You live in China, why don't you enrol in a TCM course? Nowhere in the world as good as China. :)

The following two are a must have for any TCM practitioners:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0936185759?ie=UTF8&tag=alternativ07a-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0936185759

http://www.amazon.com/Diagnosis-Chinese-Medicine-Giovanni-Maciocia/dp/093961619X

Don't try to learn this stuff alone. It requires a lot of practice.

edited: typo.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

Cheers.

Which system of pulse diagnosis do you want to learn? There are many. Ayurveda, Tibetan, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, they each have their own. And that's oversimplifying, the distinctions are not easily drawn along national or ethnic lines. And, do you have training in the related medical concepts and system? Because that's half the training right there, the pulse will have no meaning if you don't have something to relate it to. Even for most practitioners of Chinese medicine in the West, study of the pulse is an advanced, postgraduate pursuit.

That said, I've heard about one relatively simple but effective version, taught by a guy named Jimmy Chang. They actually have a free web-seminar coming up, you might check it out: http://www.elotus.org/lotus_2010/webinar/course_descriptions.html#Pulsynergy. Don't have any experience with him personally.

On the other end, I learned a very complicated version of pulse diagnosis, the Shen-Hammer method, which took me a few hundred hours of practice before I felt basically proficient. I would consider it extremely difficult to get even the basics of that particular system without having personal instruction (or being very gifted), though in part because the one published textbook is more of a reference tome than an instruction manual. But that book, Chinese Pulse Diagnosis: A Contemporary Approach, could still be worth a look, if you have the money or can find a library that has it.

There are of course other books and resources out there. But as I mentioned, methods of pulse diagnosis are highly tuned to the system you're practicing and what your goals and aims are, so it's harder to make general recommendations.

Edited by David Yeh

Guest C Yu C He Taiji

As I am practicing as a nursing practitioner in a hospital I have to check pulses a few dozen times every day. I originally thought that this was a good way to gain some experience but it is a lot harder than I thought. Maybe I someone who is versed in TCM could help me out. I would like to know whether the principles of TCM diagnosis would prove to be true when compared with the clinical diagnosis. I see a lot of different diseases every day, from alcoholism to pneumonia and late state cancer. One of the most interesting but also frightening experiences is the transition to death. The way the patients change a few days or hours before death is an oddly interesting phenomena, sometimes I feel their energetic signature changing and then a few hours later they die. Sadly a lot of patients die on my station without being given a proper way to make their peace with this world and themselves. I do not want to know how many sad or aggressive spirits I would see there if I were able to see into the spirit world. On a side note, how can one help people die without so much pain that is going to bind them to this earth? Perhaps some of the Bums that have experience with this (Vavrasattva, Yamu, fiveelementtao...) could enlighten me.

Cheers

Chrisn

... The way the patients change a few days or hours before death is an oddly interesting phenomena, sometimes I feel their energetic signature changing and then a few hours later they die. Sadly a lot of patients die on my station without being given a proper way to make their peace with this world and themselves. I do not want to know how many sad or aggressive spirits I would see there if I were able to see into the spirit world. On a side note, how can one help people die without so much pain that is going to bind them to this earth? Perhaps some of the Bums that have experience with this (Vavrasattva, Yamu, fiveelementtao...) could enlighten me.

Cheers

Chrisn

You may find this organization to be of interest regarding end-of-life transition: The Clear Light Society

As I am practicing as a nursing practitioner in a hospital I have to check pulses a few dozen times every day. I originally thought that this was a good way to gain some experience but it is a lot harder than I thought. Maybe I someone who is versed in TCM could help me out. I would like to know whether the principles of TCM diagnosis would prove to be true when compared with the clinical diagnosis. I see a lot of different diseases every day, from alcoholism to pneumonia and late state cancer. One of the most interesting but also frightening experiences is the transition to death. The way the patients change a few days or hours before death is an oddly interesting phenomena, sometimes I feel their energetic signature changing and then a few hours later they die. Sadly a lot of patients die on my station without being given a proper way to make their peace with this world and themselves. I do not want to know how many sad or aggressive spirits I would see there if I were able to see into the spirit world. On a side note, how can one help people die without so much pain that is going to bind them to this earth? Perhaps some of the Bums that have experience with this (Vavrasattva, Yamu, fiveelementtao...) could enlighten me.

Cheers

Chrisn

The signs and symptoms in TCM do relate to clinical diseases, but not in a one to one kind of way. For example, with alcoholism, you may see Liver/Gallbladder signs, or Heart or Spleen etc. depending on how the disease has affected that particular person with thier constitution, diet, etc. If you studied TCM (in a school) then, yes, your job would give you an excellent opportunity. Without that training, it is unlikely that you would be able to grasp all of the subtle differences, though, if you study enough on your own, who knows. Either way, watching and learning couldn't hurt.

On the point of spirits etc. The fact that you care enough to think about these things probably helps the people in their "transition" more than you could ever know.

Cheers.

You can find an introduction into the pulse reading in the book behind the "Massage Healing" link in my signature