Sign in to follow this  
Moth

Destroying Hope

I've begun living a life that has become filled with hope, and it's exhausting. Infinite possibilities jump around me and throw promises right at me, and it's sickening. Headaches and general nervousness abound when I buy into that hope, and I want it gone. Hope, for me, is when I admit that I'm completely powerless to affect something. I don't hope I'll eat tomorrow, I'll just eat tomorrow. I do hope everything turns positive for me, therefore I admit that I'm powerless in my ability to affect the events that surround me.

I get how Hope and Fear are linked on a basic level, and fear especially plays a central role in my life (but I'm working on that, not simply hoping my fear will go away).

Any ideas on how to get rid of hope, or at least not make it so annoying?

I've begun living a life that has become filled with hope, and it's exhausting. Infinite possibilities jump around me and throw promises right at me, and it's sickening. Headaches and general nervousness abound when I buy into that hope, and I want it gone. Hope, for me, is when I admit that I'm completely powerless to affect something. I don't hope I'll eat tomorrow, I'll just eat tomorrow. I do hope everything turns positive for me, therefore I admit that I'm powerless in my ability to affect the events that surround me.

I get how Hope and Fear are linked on a basic level, and fear especially plays a central role in my life (but I'm working on that, not simply hoping my fear will go away).

To have hope is to create an uncertain moment in your existence. Being that it is YOUR existence and you build it every moment of everyday, simply abandon hope because it doesn't suit your being and simply embrace the faith you have in what you can do, will accomplish, and manifest.

Leave hope behind, and have faith. Faith is the power that manifest courage, courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.

Hi Moth,

I don't have a problem with the concept of hope. While it is true that if we want something done we have to get up off our butt and take action we can hope that we do well at whatever we do. And we can hope that others do the 'right thing' and more peace and harmony evolves in the interactions of all people.

But, to just sit on our butt and hope for something is anti-productive. And it is discouraging because no matter how hard we hope, if no one takes action it is likely that things will just continue the way they have been going.

I have already, a number of times, mentioned that we should destroy our fears. They are limiting factors preventing us from living our life to the fullest.

But hope? Sure, let's all hope that one day there will be an end of all wars between groups of peoples. Nothing wrong with that.

Peace & Love!

Hello,

Using a different term consider desire... there are many desires that we have as human beings but what is really behind all of our desires? To try and destroy all desires is not the point nor healthy since more self-defeating frustrations would result from not being able to do so. Instead we must consider what is at the root of our many desires and aim to find the one true desire that is more or less masked by those many forms of desire. (desires which may be at cross-purposes and or in conflict with each other and with our aim) For many the one true desire may be described as attaining an end to suffering and for the fullness of spiritual unity and its related power and wisdom that is beyond any doubt or fear. Thus by mastering all lesser and or conflicting desires and joining them together as a united team (thus and not destroying their drive per-se) will help give us the needed drive or fuel to attain the one true desire.

An example: I believe the Buddha came to realize that he could not attain his truest desire by methods which included the near starvation of his body that had its need and desire for food.

Om

Wow, I have the opposite problem, I grab a hold of hope every chance I can get! I don't really understand why this is so upsetting to you. Is it because you fear you will be let down by that hope?

Get an Oxford Dictionary, preferably the big Two volume set, and with your eyes closed, pick a random word and definition every day for a year. Attach this definition to the word "hope" and see if it makes any more sense than what you've done with the word already. If exhaustion, Headaches, nervousness, powerlessness, and fear are part of your new hope-based life, then it's time to go see a psychologist, or at least a really good librarian.

Hope is not the problem. it is your atatchment and identification with the hope. Let hopes arise when they will... Find amusement in those hopes and dont take it to seriously.

ground your self in free will and feel how your body/self works as a dynamic colective without a static I. You are more a we then a I. every atom contains intelligance...

Guest paul walter

Sounds like you voted Democrat last time.

Sounds like you voted Democrat last time.

haha

Hope relates to attachment to something in the future. Doesn't this go against Taoism thinking?

Moth,

You are right that hope and fear are different facets of the same problem. The remedy for both is acceptance. Gratitude helps, too, whenever you can muster it; so do compassion, devotion, openness, and meditative stability.

Just keep practicing. Eventually hope and fear will dissolve on their own. In the meantime, try to accept whatever happens with reasonable equanimity.

Uh, meditate?

Any version of stillness meditation.

Quiets the attraction/aversion game.

Sign in to follow this