sean

Forum upgrade ...

The way I really feel:

The vibe does suck, it seems that the 'home' feeling of the old page is gone, and even the posts are boring, the whole thing lacks vitality and it is really very aesthetically ugly and i think it affects everything else. Can we get rid of the green blue ugly aesthetic? Our website is sinking...

PC note: all thanks for all the work put into the transition, but here is my haiku:

Bluey greeny blocks <_<

if it ain't broke don't fix it, :mellow:

bring back the old site! :D

Guest paul walter

The way I really feel:

The vibe does suck, it seems that the 'home' feeling of the old page is gone, and even the posts are boring, the whole thing lacks vitality and it is really very aesthetically ugly and i think it affects everything else. Can we get rid of the green blue ugly aesthetic? Our website is sinking...

yes, i think this is fair. The colours seem to have the same effect that the painting of walls in blue-grey pastels has in prison and mental health facilities-pacifying/benumbing. Maybe it says more about me :o . Certainly lost some 'character' (another word for old fashioned?) in the transition. Some nice new features here though. Thanks, Paul.

Things used to be so clear, in black and white. Now everything is dull, and I'm feeling rather blue. :P

Bad Feng shui lol! After the upgrade, both quality and quantity of posts seem to have taken a big hit. Hope that's just a passing phase.

Guest paul walter

Things used to be so clear, in black and white. Now everything is dull, and I'm feeling rather blue. :P

Your orange slice sure looks striking against the colour scheme though. Perhaps there should be bright orange everywhere to balance it out? Think I'm going all 'Queer eye for the straight guy' so better stop now. Paul.

Bad Feng shui lol! After the upgrade, both quality and quantity of posts seem to have taken a big hit. Hope that's just a passing phase.

Yes, it makes me not want to come here.

That's probably a good thing. :lol:

Your orange slice sure looks striking against the colour scheme though. Perhaps there should be bright orange everywhere to balance it out? Think I'm going all 'Queer eye for the straight guy' so better stop now. Paul.

I used the orange because it's good energy for people dealing with sex issues...which seems to be a stumbling block for many on the path (so many topics are about retention, etc).

I agree. It's not the same here. Not exactly sure why, but there's definitely a different vibe.

I don't like the new format either.

It's too tidy, too clear and at the same time too dull.

It reflects the personality and mindset of the designer, which cannot be stretched over so many different... ehm, how to put it best? ida know, it's silly to just criticise, i didn't mean to give a feedback, but since i've seen more than a couple of complaints, i thought maybe adding my two cents is worth something...

Suggestion: daoism is both simple and complex, both profound and visible... these are really big shoes to fit...

one thing is certain, the new design feels like it's going to influence the destiny of ttb, one way or another...

hey guys, i appreciate all the feedback on the design. besides the header graphic it's obviously just an "out of the box" design from the forum upgrade. it's pretty tedious to re-style these things (which is actually one of the main reasons i procrastinated upgrading for over a year), i just need to carve out a weekend to do this soon. if any of you are experienced web designers and want to help out, feel free to pm me or write me at somlor AT gmail.com.

thanks!

sean

Ok, it's gone all quiet in here now that Sean asked for some help with designing..:lol:

I cant help.

I came in to mention the 'my last ten posts' thing again. The forum is so sprawling now that I cant ever recall or find where I last posted..

so... if you can get it again, please do.

Fangs.

xxxx

Ok, it's gone all quiet in here now that Sean asked for some help with designing..:lol:

I cant help.

I came in to mention the 'my last ten posts' thing again. The forum is so sprawling now that I cant ever recall or find where I last posted..

so... if you can get it again, please do.

Fangs.

xxxx

You posted here, Cat. Hope this help :).

You posted here, Cat. Hope this help :).

:P

you can see last 5 in your profile. I had a look for a toggle to switch it to 10 but I don't think it's an optiont.

There is a toggle to watch every topic you reply to.

Guess you could also use advanced search for posts by used ID and date range. But that returns results as threads not posts.

:P

you can see last 5 in your profile. I had a look for a toggle to switch it to 10 but I don't think it's an optiont.

There is a toggle to watch every topic you reply to.

Guess you could also use advanced search for posts by used ID and date range. But that returns results as threads not posts.

"Find posts" in profile (under pic) gives all posts - or am I confused as usual?

Excellent find, thank you.

The V3 board can make me feel like someone in an orange suit who has lost this

instructions.jpg

:D

Is it just me, or does it seem like the volume of posts is way down and there's a lot fewer regulars and intermittent posters around in this new version of ttb? It seems like there's about 30 of us and a lot fewer interesting posts. Remember the days when the Buddhists were here and everything was about debating reifying and dependent origination, now we're more about pervy gurus and masturbation. But the haiku chain chugs on...

Remember the days when the Buddhists were here and everything was about debating reifying and dependent origination

Yes but I don't remember it fondly at all :( all the Kunlun threads in '08/'09 was more fun for me :)

I also quite like the default blue layout we have :lol: It's grown on me, easy on the eye, reminiscent of the old V2 board. But thanks for the link to the skins (we would use V3) some nice stuff in there like http://www.invisionize.com/market/v-149/GFX/ a skin is an easy change.

And if anyone has other sites they like that we could copy, like empty flower, toss them in. Personally I liked the look of this thing http://jhaffiliate.webs.com but a bit "busy" for here.

another V3 board http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/

Oh I'd especially like to look at some "active" forums, found http://rankings.big-boards.com/?p=all

While I don't go to many forums TTB always strikes me as different with it's pages of today / yesterday and recent posts in Taoist Discussion. Usually when I look at a forum there does not seem to be as much discussion eg look at empty flower in comparison, and it's very well known too. Now this place look active http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=

I can't change my sig. I copy text into it, then click save (or whatever), it tells me the text is too long. The reason it being too long is that it's for some reason completelly filled with code or something. :blink:

If you can you PM me what you want it to look like I'll see if I can work out what's happening.

light on dark reading makes you go mad. :lol:

(okok - it's just not good on the eyes)

I can offer help with design (I'm do this for a living) - and although I do design for web sometimes, I'm not that proficient with code. Adapting an existing template may well be the way to go though...

...Had a look - and this one looks ok: http://www.invisionize.com/market/v-148/Professionnal-Blue/

Edited by freeform